Tankbeardz

Re: An in depth look

Post#31 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:39 am

This game isn't all that serious.

Ads
Schnieder88

Post#32 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:11 am

Very good read. I agree with almost everything said by both K1o3 and Darosh. I too agree that playing the game with little to few addons can help increase your skill as a player. However i also acknowledge the benefit addons can give a person, especially when certain individuals have mental handicaps. I have severe ADHD and tend to try and over simplify my playstyle. I find myself mashing my envenomed blades A LOT more than i need to, making my DPS suffer for it. An addon like the nerf buttons addon would help me in that regard, but then on the other hand i would never learn to keep track of what it is my fingers are doing and what they should be doing. Its a give and take scenario!
MURDER ORGY!!!
~War cry of Violas the Death Hag

saupreusse
Developer

Post#33 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:03 am

Im sorry to crash the party but I firmly believe that warhammers interface failed in displaying some of the most essential pvp info. Lol is a billion dollar game by now and itsinterface was improved againand again to match the desires of the competitive scene. While war is a dead horse that did miss lots of improvements even for a game that old. Buffhead being one of these addons that should be run on every client. I guess its right that too many addons will ruin your interface and might also make you a less aware player, but id be more than happy to see SOR back because our standard ui simply cant give players the info that they need without having to click through several windows.

k1o3
Banned

Post#34 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:12 am

saupreusse wrote:Im sorry to crash the party but I firmly believe that warhammers interface failed in displaying some of the most essential pvp info. Lol is a billion dollar game by now and itsinterface was improved againand again to match the desires of the competitive scene. While war is a dead horse that did miss lots of improvements even for a game that old. Buffhead being one of these addons that should be run on every client. I guess its right that too many addons will ruin your interface and might also make you a less aware player, but id be more than happy to see SOR back because our standard ui simply cant give players the info that they need without having to click through several windows.
The default WAR UI is almost 100% identical to the default WoW UI - i'm not sure where they're lacking? In fact, it's almost identical to the GW2 UI.. If you have examples of discrepancies I'm all ears, like i've said before.
- notkaspr <denail>

saupreusse
Developer

Post#35 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:48 am

Im gonna go with the two examples i already mentioned.
1: visibility of buffs/debuffs and display management for buffs/debuffs. The standard ui displays tiny squares over your healthbar that are pretty useless and also bug out/freeze a lot. With buffhead you can chose the size, the duration timer and which buffs to display where/when. You can disable buffs that have no need to be displayed, you can merge several buffs (hdb f.ex.) into one icon to easily tell if its wise to reapply a debuff or put out dps.
2: SOR: state of realm was an addon that improved the standard ui by giving players easy access to the keep status and battlefield objectives in the whole old world. In my opinion this is also neccessary for opening up more zones in t4 at the same time. Right now our ui cant give out alerts if the enemy tries to sneak in a keep in another zone (which you really should prevent once we have working city instances).
These are two examples where the EA interface lacks utility.

Sulorie

Post#36 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:30 am

k1o3 wrote: The default WAR UI is almost 100% identical to the default WoW UI - i'm not sure where they're lacking?
The same could be said by native tribes who never experienced modern technology.
Dying is no option.

Collateral

Post#37 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm

First you say "Not for you, not for fame, not for me or anyone I represent." Then you say "But at some point, at some moment, you will come across me and think: "how the #$*! did he do that."" After that you say " I will be in game, trying to do what I could not do yesterday." Yea man, that's 'doing it for me' right there, because you want to improve, you want to be better, it's so obvious. Get over yourself mate. I realize you want to be 'the best of the best', but I couldn't give two shits about it. Plus, there is no 'pro' community in this game. You sound so egoistical I can't even explain it to you. "If you do anything less, you will never be 'one of us'." hahahaha that part really got me xD I don't want to grind games, I want to enjoy them with my friends.

Yea maybe one day I will come across you, but trust me, I don't care what you do or how you do it, whit addons or not. If I lose a fight I lose it. I give my best if I can, and the only thing I want is, believe it or not, to have FUN. I don't care about 'winning', this is a game. Of course there are players that are better than me, who spend more time in the game than me, learning every single skill, class and so on. I don't give a cuck about those koreans or whoever. I will never play against them, I'm not interested in them. They spend so much time in games they don't even know there's a world outside. I'm simply not that kind of person.

Of course, I'm not saying that you shouldn't strive to be a better player, be my guest, but you don't have to shove it in my face how you will be better cuz you try hard. As I said, I couldn't care less about that kind of people.

k1o3
Banned

Post#38 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Collateral wrote:First you say "Not for you, not for fame, not for me or anyone I represent." Then you say "But at some point, at some moment, you will come across me and think: "how the #$*! did he do that."" After that you say " I will be in game, trying to do what I could not do yesterday." Yea man, that's 'doing it for me' right there, because you want to improve, you want to be better, it's so obvious. Get over yourself mate. I realize you want to be 'the best of the best', but I couldn't give two shits about it. Plus, there is no 'pro' community in this game. You sound so egoistical I can't even explain it to you. "If you do anything less, you will never be 'one of us'." hahahaha that part really got me xD I don't want to grind games, I want to enjoy them with my friends.

Yea maybe one day I will come across you, but trust me, I don't care what you do or how you do it, whit addons or not. If I lose a fight I lose it. I give my best if I can, and the only thing I want is, believe it or not, to have FUN. I don't care about 'winning', this is a game. Of course there are players that are better than me, who spend more time in the game than me, learning every single skill, class and so on. I don't give a cuck about those koreans or whoever. I will never play against them, I'm not interested in them. They spend so much time in games they don't even know there's a world outside. I'm simply not that kind of person.

Of course, I'm not saying that you shouldn't strive to be a better player, be my guest, but you don't have to shove it in my face how you will be better cuz you try hard. As I said, I couldn't care less about that kind of people.
Then... don't ?
- notkaspr <denail>

Ads
Arteker616

Post#39 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:42 pm

saupreusse wrote:Im sorry to crash the party but I firmly believe that warhammers interface failed in displaying some of the most essential pvp info. Lol is a billion dollar game by now and itsinterface was improved againand again to match the desires of the competitive scene. While war is a dead horse that did miss lots of improvements even for a game that old. Buffhead being one of these addons that should be run on every client. I guess its right that too many addons will ruin your interface and might also make you a less aware player, but id be more than happy to see SOR back because our standard ui simply cant give players the info that they need without having to click through several windows.
Back in early 2000 , Soe , verant realized this for everquest , they supported players by allowing em to free switch ui wich ioncorporated alot of improvements to game(hps health bars is the first to come my mind and many others).

This game needs alot of basic addons to be proper played , at this momment i would not be able to play without buffhead .

k1o3
Banned

Post#40 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:49 pm

You know what, I posted all the no-no's and commented on them without ever saying why. I guess I do that all the time? Okay, so here's a fundamental reason why addons make you worse: Look at your target in squares, grid, etc. whatever have you - then look at the person far off in the distance that you're healing, or is being hard swapped on. You can't. Basically, your eyes can't be two places at once. Maybe your peripherals, but if you can use them to execute gaming you've got one up on me, lads.

That .5 seconds it took you to trace your eyes from your addons to your target/character is just enough of an amount of time for pro gamers to annihilate you. Don't believe me? Watch Fatal1ty videos for Unreal Tournament. Watch his reaction speed - you think you're alive? No, you're dead. And all because you took your eyes off the screen for half a second.

The point is, every time you take your eyes off of your character, target, or defensive target, you're basically blind. And sure, this may work for you up to a certain degree, and hey - this might not even rend you at a disadvantage on Warhammer, I'm sure it won't. But I promise you, if you ever hit high levels of gaming, you will not be able to afford taking your eyes off of critical situations - ever. This would only lead you to be headshot, swapped on, CC'd, etc. (this is why pros at every MMO level use target binds in addition to nameplates/healthbars, but that's a whole other story.)

Assist macros. You ever try to assist macro against a top .01% player world-wide? It doesn't happen. They're not hitting macros, folks. They're there in real time. They'll swap you 99 times without blinking an eye. Synergy is something extremely relevant to gaming. So you swap onto Sodahz - do you think reck/ven aren't going to immediately peel you? They're not using anything to guide them. It's instinct. So you might say, "well, they're the best players in the world", etc. etc. How do you think they got there? By crutching? No.

The other part is anticipation. Most if not all pros use anticipation in gaming, they're predicting your next move. The rogue Unmercey is famous for this - he's a Mrs. Cleo in pvp. That vanish blind? That shadowstep kidney? (yes, these are wow terms, apologies). They knew you'd do it. They knew the game so well and could first-glance your skill level based on how you moved, what you did, etc. , that they knew what you'd do before you even did it. There's thousands of evidence supporting this - go look them up. (watch how many times i detaunt you right before you kd me)

Can you use addons? Yes. Will it help the average player perform better? Yes. Will it be the direct correlation to you winning games? Yes. Will you ever beat the best players in the world with them? No. Is there a direct link between you using addons and you not being able to defeat the best players in the world? Yes.

That's the real answer. Take it as you will.

The clear question: How did reckful go 117-4 and 84-3 against the best players in the world with zero addons. Answer? Because he's #%*@ reckful.

If you're aiming for anything else, whilst striving to be a good gamer, you're aiming in the wrong direction, imho.

And if you don't care, grats. Don't care. It's just a video game - I gotcha. If you do care, listen and pay attention to what the best do. If i'm trying to be the best race car driver in the world i'm not going to check out what jimmy down the street does, I'm going to watch jeff gordon. do the same.

Yes, this was general, broadened knowledge of gaming, the post at hand at least. But due to the replies, i decided to comment. And i'm not going to sit here and lead you to becoming an average gamer - what's the point in that? I'm here to tell you the truth, because players often searching for advice - ironically in advice - will give you thousands of replies as to what they know. But what do they know? Not much, I assure you. And if you, at a glance, assume that their answer is the end-all-be-all, you've just stepped one step closer to being limited as to your potential. So, I guess, I'm here to dissuade that.

So why do I do this? Why do I post here? Why do I combat advice chat every day? It's not for me, friends. I could've been what I am with or without telling you. It's for you, honestly. It's because I know the next Beethoven of the gaming world is out there somewhere - and you know what? I want to see it. You might think i'm some arrogant asshole that's just here to tell you how mediocre i think you are - but that couldn't be further from the truth. The reality is, I want to see the future. I want to be amazed. I want to be in awe. Just like you might watch professional dancing or acting, I want to be moved. And I know you're there - the future, and perhaps reading this. I'm just some hopeless schmuck that hit my peak 10 years ago and never made enough money from gaming to buy groceries - so believe me, I know where I'm lacking.

And humbly, perhaps, you may cite me as your first step. I hope to be so lucky. Looking forward to meeting you.

Don't forget your elders ;)
- notkaspr <denail>