Recent Topics

Ads

Couple noob questions

Let's talk about... everything else
g2knee

Couple noob questions

Post#1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:06 pm

What exactly does a stat's "soft cap" mean?

For example, I have a lv 24 slayer, and when I get 650-something strength, the number turns orange. Does that mean I am approaching the soft cap, or am at it? What happens when I get more str, it doesn't so as much? Does the number ever turn red?

Secondly, what is the benefit of a two-handed weapon vs dual wielding? Duel wield gives more +parry. What does the 2h do for you, and is it worth it?

Thanks!

Ads
g2knee

Re: Couple noob questions

Post#2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Just found this link ...
viewtopic.php?t=965

Still wondering on DW vs 2H though.

Zealote

Post#3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm

2h weapons give 10% block strikethrough, which is generally considered less useful since it's only useful against tanks.

They also have slower weapon speeds, which means harder-hitting auto attacks but with more time between them => more burst.

There are obviously also some abilities which require a 2h weapon.
Aetir

Jaycub

Post#4 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Dw is better than 2h by a lot when looking at them in a vacuum.

However what is important is what skills are accessed by using either of them. If you are not using a build that relies on a 2h only ability then use dw. 10% parry and more proc far outweighs more frontloaded aa damage and the meme that is block strikethrough.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Fey

Post#5 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 am

Honest question, would it be fair to give 5% crit to 2-hand instead of block strike-through? It fits the burst meta of two-hand, and I hardly see it being op. 10% parry and extra proc via DW matches up pretty well to that and is arguably preferrable. I guess it encourages 2-hand tanks which I don't want to do.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

Grock

Post#6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 am

Fey wrote:Honest question, would it be fair to give 5% crit to 2-hand instead of block strike-through? It fits the burst meta of two-hand, and I hardly see it being op. 10% parry and extra proc via DW matches up pretty well to that and is arguably preferrable. I guess it encourages 2-hand tanks which I don't want to do.
any such tinkering will just bring other problems, as you noticed with 2h tanks example

the only reasonable way to solve that is to remove parry bonus from dw

though dw will still have advantage of higher dps and higher damage spikes when off-hand hit procs
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Panzerkasper

Post#7 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:37 am

Grock wrote:
Fey wrote:Honest question, would it be fair to give 5% crit to 2-hand instead of block strike-through? It fits the burst meta of two-hand, and I hardly see it being op. 10% parry and extra proc via DW matches up pretty well to that and is arguably preferrable. I guess it encourages 2-hand tanks which I don't want to do.
any such tinkering will just bring other problems, as you noticed with 2h tanks example

the only reasonable way to solve that is to remove parry bonus from dw

though dw will still have advantage of higher dps and higher damage spikes when off-hand hit procs
Give also parry strikethrough, not just block. I always wondered why that isn't the case already it just makes no sense. One of the main reasons the slayer is so powerful, he has the def advatage of dw but also has rampage wich gives him true strike for 20seconds without any disadvantage. This skill was always plain stupid op and it leaves me baffled why it hasnt been nerfed for years now...

I wouldnt say dw has higher dps, as from my expierence with choppa the damage behavior is very different. DW damage always felt more fluent but 2h has definitly the higher damage spikes.

30/12/2018 RIP 2h Chosen

g2knee

Post#8 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:42 pm

What if we made 2h weapons have a greater chance of ignoring Parry INSTEAD of block?

It would be a minor buff (since it is relevant against more enemy types rather than just SnB tanks), but it isn't OP. It also makes more sense.

What do I know though. Seems cool to me.

Ads
Grock

Post#9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Panzerkasper wrote:Give also parry strikethrough, not just block. I always wondered why that isn't the case already it just makes no sense. One of the main reasons the slayer is so powerful, he has the def advatage of dw but also has rampage wich gives him true strike for 20seconds without any disadvantage. This skill was always plain stupid op and it leaves me baffled why it hasnt been nerfed for years now...

I wouldnt say dw has higher dps, as from my expierence with choppa the damage behavior is very different. DW damage always felt more fluent but 2h has definitly the higher damage spikes.
I also don't understand why Ramapge exists but thats another topic.

I just honestly don't understand why either DW or 2h needs to have any special hidden passive effects, it makes very little sense. The only reason to make them different is to make some sort of mdps vs dpstanks balancing, but not all mdps use dw and there's also Dok/WP which means any such changes will affect bunch of other classes/specs

As for dps - there are formulas on forums on how dw/off-hand damage is calculated, i did some math about a month ago but can't find my records now
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)