Recent Topics

Ads

Fix rvr :P

Let's talk about... everything else
biotek

Re: Fix rvr :P

Post#11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm

This isn't CU (though I am looking forward to it with all their bsc ideas).

The majority of your point of view in the reply was based on earning points. That's not the game. That's a relic from retail, along with linear gear progression, where they needed carrots to keep people paying for access.

Most people I've read complaining about AFKers are more interested in making the game active. They don't care so much about the points but recognize them as tool for motivating players.

What's the point in earning points if no gameplay is happening? Get better gear to continue not playing?

Back to the original topic. WAR was designed around ORvR.
Running solo was guaranteed failure in almost all aspects of the game.
That said, they have a roadmap of changes and we'll just have to wait and see how they work out.

Ads
Zxul

Post#12 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I however like solo roaming.

And in War its more amusing than for example AoC Rage server was (the one with all zones open to pvp, player loot- including gold, stealth available for all classes, and no factions- was fun for a time, but it is better with actual rvr).

Anyway though, back to rvr fixing.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Sulorie

Post#13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm

How is afk at BO encouraged, when activity earns you significantly more RP/XP per hour, especially as underdog with AAO.
Dying is no option.

biotek

Post#14 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Sulorie wrote:How is afk at BO encouraged, when activity earns you significantly more RP/XP per hour, especially as underdog with AAO.
Because the "general masses" will take the path of least resistance. If that means sitting on a BO for meager rewards then that's what they'll do. There are others, of course, who simply wish to afk and figure they might as well get points at the same time.

Either way, inactivity shouldn't come with any reward whatsoever. If the BOs gave no points just for being present then it would promote change to that specific AFK behavior... eventually.

Sulorie

Post#15 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 pm

biotek wrote:
Sulorie wrote:How is afk at BO encouraged, when activity earns you significantly more RP/XP per hour, especially as underdog with AAO.
Because the "general masses" will take the path of least resistance. If that means sitting on a BO for meager rewards then that's what they'll do. There are others, of course, who simply wish to afk and figure they might as well get points at the same time.

Either way, inactivity shouldn't come with any reward whatsoever. If the BOs gave no points just for being present then it would promote change to that specific AFK behavior... eventually.
It is actually the opposite. You give targets for active players, because you see on which BO ppl are waiting. You can wait on BO for a week and still earn less than an active player during a day, while being an easy target for gankers and roaming groups/warbands.
Dying is no option.

CegeePegee
Former Staff

Post#16 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:13 pm

OP - tbh, you just picked a really awkward class for solo play. Why not a WE if you like solo ganking and postern access?

Dok is all about group play, both in dps and heal spec, there's just no real way around that. It's too bad you aren't into 6man play bc dps dok is so uniquely well equipped for that setup that I pretty much avoid comps that don't include a 2nd, dps specced dok (I'm heal spec myself). From lots of experience i can assure you that in the right 6man that knows how to leverage your utility, you'd have a blast and would be be able to wreck people.

But i'm not here to change your mind.

biotek

Post#17 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Sulorie wrote:It is actually the opposite. You give targets for active players, because you see on which BO ppl are waiting. You can wait on BO for a week and still earn less than an active player during a day, while being an easy target for gankers and roaming groups/warbands.
Ganking people that are AFK isn't exactly active... that's just a different kind of points farming. It has nothing to do with RvR at all.
I don't blame players for that behavior either but it doesn't justify the other.
Again, least resistance. One of them sits AFK and gets a little points for no effort. The other gets more points for little effort. Neither of these scenarios involve players actively seeking to participate in RvR.

BO defense ticks, on the other hand, would be fine since it requires repelling attackers. That's difficult to do when AFK.

There is an underlying issue to much of this, of course. Without the excessive gear creep introduced by the original game the RR wouldn't be the focus and players of all types would play differently. (getting somewhat off topic)

Back to the main subject. If it feels like the game doesn't support a solo playstyle, there's a reason for that...

Zxul

Post#18 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm

CegeePegee wrote:OP - tbh, you just picked a really awkward class for solo play. Why not a WE if you like solo ganking and postern access?

Dok is all about group play, both in dps and heal spec, there's just no real way around that. It's too bad you aren't into 6man play bc dps dok is so uniquely well equipped for that setup that I pretty much avoid comps that don't include a 2nd, dps specced dok (I'm heal spec myself). From lots of experience i can assure you that in the right 6man that knows how to leverage your utility, you'd have a blast and would be be able to wreck people.

But i'm not here to change your mind.
I actually picked the class back on live for solo roaming after trying several others.

And it works very well for solo roaming- just not in the classic dps spec. Generally, you build it around dmg mitigation (max toughness, including full renown one and all talis toughness) + lifetaps- on my DoK I mitigate 50-80% of inc dmg, which makes the heals from lifetaps that much more effective. Best build from testing is first go high enough into heal tree for team absorb + hot (which also ups your Fist dmg), then rest into lifetap tree.

Being quite decent rdps (riding the zerg solo, I manage to get up to 150 sh renown per kill using ranged only), and sustain from using chalice instead of second sword (for such fun options as Devour Essence+ Rend in same time without running out of SE, or detaunt when low on hp- chain heal- start with dps again once you are at full hp), are added bonuses.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
anarchypark

Post#19 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 am

it's hard to find 1on1 in the zone designed for 100vs100.
go to less populated zone or SC.

you are watching orvr campaign from solo PoV.
resouces, keep ranks, door, siege weaponry, tactical move, offence, defence, funnel, postern, lord fight etc.
you choosed not to play it.
ur choice, ur responsibility.

ppl pay too much attention for BO afk, like that's big deal.
just pretend they are npc. there are countless reasons of afk.
you can't stop afk.

actually it helps campaign and brief break.
they rank up keep, repair doors, provide cannon podders.
you can leave chores to them and focus on moving and fighting.
brief chill out then dive back to campaign right after afk, while helping resources.
this is good for casual players.
it might bring more casual players to orvr. more prey hmm?

activly avoiding fights at BO. <- this is the problem.
it's human error. if anyone think BO tick is more profitable than actual play that's simply wrong.
they will find it soon. lower tick might correct them little faster.

rp and gears are followed when you play campaign, eventually.
same goes for SC.
SC objective is like small campaign.

if 1on1 brawl is only joy for u...
ask devs for cage?
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)