Recent Topics

Ads

Fix rvr :P

Let's talk about... everything else
Zxul

Fix rvr :P

Post#1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm

You have a problem with rvr. Afk at bos, ets ets.

Now, here is the main reason for the problem, which no change to mechanics will fix:

barring reasons such as ideology, mental problems, and similar, people will always act in their best interests

What it means in practical terms- the big fights at keeps are optimized for the warbands. Taking personal example, here are two problems with that:

1. I don't enjoy in any shape or form the warband playstyle.
2. I play a solo specced dps dok. I don't like healing, I don't have a keep pasterns bypass which mdps have, and Fist isn't long ranged enough to hit order on walls in most cases- so what exactly I'm supposed to do at keep attack?

Now, here is the big problem- the reasoning behind current rvr fixes "if we just lower the rewards enough, they will be forced to come to keep fights". Now, cause of the reason above, the actual practical results are "no, since we don't enjoy that, we won't- instead, we will just get the lower rewards without doing something which we don't enjoy, and for that matter see how we can maximize them. And for that matter, if before we had a reason to come to keep attacks to help the zerg without joining wbs- for a 100 ren tick since holding bos does not adds to contribution, ya right".

Now, also remember that back on live, people were afking at wc- so even if you lower the rewards to exactly 0, you still have no way of winning this- those who intend to afk, will afk. For that matter, what do you think is more likely- somebody joining, cause of rvr changes, something which he doesn't likes doing, or somebody not logging on at all?

Now, here is another big problem- taking a personal example, back on live I wasn't afking at wc- I do afk at bos here. The reason- back on live, with all in zone getting the renown from bo carriers ticks, it was in my best interest to go into rvr and fight to get the renown from kills in addition. Here, with moving away from bo, cause of current zerg meta as solo I'm loosing more then what I'm gaining from kills- so parking at bo it is.

In other words- the intention "there is no such things as getting free rewards- if you want the rewards, come to keep and fight". The actual results- those who were coming to fight back on live, ain't doing that in RoR. Worked out great, didn't it?

So the conclusion- positive motivation works- negative motivation insures that people will look for ways around- resulting in the opposite of what you intended. Draw your conclusions.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
NoRKaLKiLLa

Re: Fix rvr :P

Post#2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Instead of worrying what everyone else is doing, use whatever system is in place to predict enemy movement and build a balanced 6 man to ambush and decimate the opposing force. You'll stack more bodies, collect more rewards, become more in touch with your class and improve with your friends exponentially faster and more efficiently than you would worrying about the rvr mechanics.

Dabbart

Post#3 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I disagree entirely with the OPs sentiments that fighting at a keep is the only thing that matters. A fight is a fight regardless where it happens. And you find AFKers all over the place. Cause irl happens, and sometimes you need a bio. The BO is just a convenient place to sit for a moment.

The current orvr system initiates better fights overall in my experience. Previous versions encouraged turtling at keeps far too much for me to enjoy.

Also, what norkali said
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Luuca

Post#4 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Zxul wrote: 2. I play a solo specced dps dok. I don't like healing, I don't have a keep pasterns bypass which mdps have, and Fist isn't long ranged enough to hit order on walls in most cases- so what exactly I'm supposed to do at keep attack?
It all comes down to choices, doesn't it? You have made the choice to play a heavily guard and group-dependent class as a solo player. You have chosen to exclude yourself from certain activities in game by selecting the spec and playstyle you desire. You can not expect the entire game to change based upon your personal choices when there are other choices you can make that will make you indispensable in both 6-man and warband play. Can you solo as a sippy cup DoK in SCs? Hell yes - you will be praised for healing the pugs. Can you run around the RvR Lakes solo as a heal spec DoK? Yes, but you will not kill anything with your Gin-and-Juice cup. I find it hard to believe that you have much success as a dps "solo spec" DoK in ORvR (aside from ganking AFKers at BOs) seeing as any time you run into 2+ players, odds are, you die.. alone.

So in summary; While I understand how fun it can be to pwn players 1v1 on a DpS specced dok (Hallus here) it does not mean that the game needs to change so that I am more relevant. If you want to be relevant in a game designed around group play and class synergy, group up.

diedrake

Post#5 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

OP, hate to break it to ya... But... This isnt live anymore. Best way to enjoy your time is to adapt and also make friends soloing isnt going to far it sounds like to me. Keep takes/defence you could always send a hot or w/e out, bypass is for true mdps, your a hybred class. Dont get me wrong i hate healing too when i am on my dok, but it helps the team out rather then sitting afk on attacking or def a keep.

I am guessing u have your dps gear because if you didnt you would be wasting time in the lakes as your dps gear is in scs.

All in all make friends and adapt to the new WAR as this isnt live.
Fenaal- SM 40/84
Fanaal- CH 40/7x

Zxul

Post#6 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:45 pm

What a nice way to miss the point completely.

I'm not the one complaining about afkers at bos- I'm the one that afks at bo (or semi afk anyway).

The point is the reasons- and how the current rvr mechanics encourage exactly that, while the intention, I assume, was the opposite.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

biotek

Post#7 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm

The point is: you don't enjoy what the game was designed for all along, keeps and warbands. There are tons of other games where people can solo all day and be "productive". This isn't one of them.
Last edited by biotek on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

areanda

Post#8 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Zxul wrote:What a nice way to miss the point completely.

I'm not the one complaining about afkers at bos- I'm the one that afks at bo (or semi afk anyway).

The point is the reasons- and how the current rvr mechanics encourage exactly that, while the intention, I assume, was the opposite.
How does it encourage you/others to be afk at bo's.
There is 1 no reward no contribution.
Maybe real life situation pops in but other then that i cant see what u mean.
I agree with you keeps are ****, but u can do your effort to gank em by postern or in the zone, since u get the keep tick in the entire zone.
If u put effort the system rewards ya with 3 things.
1 maybe a bag.
2 kills.
3 ur own death.
Explain me in what way the systems makes u afk at bo?

Ads
Zxul

Post#9 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm

biotek wrote:The point is: you don't enjoy what the game was designed for all along, keeps and warbands. There are tons of other games where people can solo all day and be "productive". This isn't one of them.
Let me quote Mark Jacobs, the guy who made War, speaking about his new mmo Camelot Unchained- and I suspect he had this point in mind while making War as well: "We want to be able to support the solo play-style along with the group play-style."

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/beta-1/#

War being designed for wbs only would be assuming.

As for rewards- solo killing a lvl 40 order without aao, I'm getting lot of times 300 or so renown, 800 in rare cases. How many kills do you think it is possible to get in a hour with the current zerg meta, and with all the greys running around popping 1 renown per kill, and how do you think it compares to afking at bo renown wise?

For that matter- being in wb nets you 5-20 ren per kill usually- now think how many kills your usual wb actually gets per hour (hearing "I led a wb for 8 hours for that??!" in /t4 is always amusing).

For that matter though, rvr renown is nothing compared to sc- in sc ignoring the fighting and just capping bos its possible to win one in 4 min or so, netting you 1 k renown just from the win bonus. Now calculate how much renown you can actually make per hour (as an example- I got the 375 conqueror emblems for my dom boots in 2 days, without premade, and not during weekend- calculate how much renown did I made during). Problem is, I also hate scs :P

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#10 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Okay, if you hate SCs and you hate warbands and you hate small man groups, you essentially dislike 90% of the game. No wonder you are not having fun. Its like being a boxer and saying you hate running, hate hitting pads, hate sparring, but like...I dunno, shadow boxing?
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!