Recent Topics

Ads

What player type is needed most - Order

Let's talk about... everything else
Axerker

Re: What player type is needed most - Order

Post#51 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm

anarchypark wrote: if your priority is rp, do the killing and objective both. why walk only 1 path.
in my case, emblem has more value than rp. so i focus on SC vp. rp is just bonus. 500 or 1.5k i don't care.
fyi, rp from killing getting less as ur rr goes up.
i don't understand your issue.
'my playstyle is not the best way for reward' ???

I try my best to do both, but SCs aren't really designed to be able to do both if no one fights at the nodes. People fight out in the open, so there I am capturing a node with no one around, then move to the next one - where no one is again.

RP > Emblems while leveling. After 40: Emblems > RP, I agree. I usually get enough emblems for the gear 5+ levels higher than I am, so I need to catch up on RR.

If you're playing SCs for emblems via killing, you need to go do oRvR/WB. You're just wasting a slot for someone else who would play SCs as they're meant to be played - strategically. oRvR is exactly what you're looking for: aimless killing for emblems and bad RP gain unless you claim the zone. SCs are meant to be mini tactical games that use player-killing as a necessary means to accomplish the task (oRvR is technically the same on a bigger scale, but there is less tactics needed for oRvR, in my opinion - the side with more bodies wins the majority). That's fine if the RP is just a bonus for you, I would assume you're RR 40+ then, and already have the highest level you need for gear. For players who aren't high enough RR to use the end game gear, RR is important to farm up.

I don't know how you don't understand the issue. Its pretty straightforward. It isn't about playstyle being less rewarding, its about the most rewarding playstyle being the opposite of what is intended for the game (SCs only). Let's use an example:

- You have a job, and you work twice as hard as everyone else and double the amount of time
- Everyone else you work with just talks to each other at work and does no work
- You get paid $5.00 and they get paid $15.00

Are you mad yet? This is where you bring it up to your colleague who makes $15.00 and he says, "i don't understand your issue".

Sorry if this post seems a bit aggressive, it isn't meant to be. We can agree to disagree. My opinions are strictly that, opinions. I respect yours, and my goal isn't meant to shove mine into your face, just voicing it.

Ads
Axerker

Post#52 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:There's doing the objective, and then there's doing the objective while being the only healer in the team and ignoring your group completely :D 8-)

I agree and disagree. Node capture should be done by everyone. If you're the only healer and the only one going to nodes (I'm usually in this situation on my healer), then they don't deserve to be healed anyway - in my opinion. Players who aren't playing to win the game, and just get kills, don't deserve to be aided by those who are attempting to win. I still heal them if they are in range, but I won't sacrifice the node capture to heal someone fighting 300 feet away on the road. I'll cap the node first, and if they're still alive I'll move over to them.

Or, if they're smart enough to run to me, or fight at the node while you attempt to cap it, then I will gladly heal them. Most of the time I'm 1v1ing a defender on the node and trying to force them off while they ignore the fact that I'm capping the node while they try to range me down from outside the node zone.

Fallenkezef

Post#53 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:12 pm

There is a danger to basing your char class on what other people want you to roll.

I did that, dumped my slayer and rolled IB for the greater good of order, hated every minute and ended up re-rolling Slayer.

When you do a toon based on what class/ spec others think the server needs you run thr risk of turning something that should be fun into something that is now a boring chore.
Alea iacta est

Axerker

Post#54 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Spoiler:
Fallenkezef wrote:There is a danger to basing your char class on what other people want you to roll.

I did that, dumped my slayer and rolled IB for the greater good of order, hated every minute and ended up re-rolling Slayer.

When you do a toon based on what class/ spec others think the server needs you run thr risk of turning something that should be fun into something that is now a boring chore.

Agreed, thanks for getting back to the topic - sorry for derailing a bit.

Play whatever class(es) you like, and disregard everyone else. Even the Slayers and Choppas can find groups to play with, it just may be a bit more inconvenient to find open-minded players who want to have fun as the primary goal rather than having the highest theoretical/statistical chance of winning.

anarchypark

Post#55 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 am

Axerker wrote:
Spoiler:
anarchypark wrote: if your priority is rp, do the killing and objective both. why walk only 1 path.
in my case, emblem has more value than rp. so i focus on SC vp. rp is just bonus. 500 or 1.5k i don't care.

I try my best to do both, but SCs aren't really designed to be able to do both if no one fights at the nodes. People fight out in the open, so there I am capturing a node with no one around, then move to the next one - where no one is again.

RP > Emblems while leveling. After 40: Emblems > RP, I agree. I usually get enough emblems for the gear 5+ levels higher than I am, so I need to catch up on RR.

If you're playing SCs for emblems via killing, you need to go do oRvR/WB. You're just wasting a slot for someone else who would play SCs as they're meant to be played - strategically. oRvR is exactly what you're looking for: aimless killing for emblems and bad RP gain unless you claim the zone. SCs are meant to be mini tactical games that use player-killing as a necessary means to accomplish the task (oRvR is technically the same on a bigger scale, but there is less tactics needed for oRvR, in my opinion - the side with more bodies wins the majority). That's fine if the RP is just a bonus for you, I would assume you're RR 40+ then, and already have the highest level you need for gear. For players who aren't high enough RR to use the end game gear, RR is important to farm up.

I don't know how you don't understand the issue. Its pretty straightforward. It isn't about playstyle being less rewarding, its about the most rewarding playstyle being the opposite of what is intended for the game (SCs only). Let's use an example:

- You have a job, and you work twice as hard as everyone else and double the amount of time

Are you mad yet? This is where you bring it up to your colleague who makes $15.00 and he says, "i don't understand your issue".

Sorry if this post seems a bit aggressive, it isn't meant to be. We can agree to disagree. My opinions are strictly that, opinions. I respect yours, and my goal isn't meant to shove mine into your face, just voicing it.
my english is not good enough to explain. it may sound blunt.

that 15$ players would say 'why take 5$ path when u want 15$?'
you looks to me like saying 'make my way 15$ path, not theirs'
u are not doing all the works alone.
sometimes u need killing for objective. sometimes u hold objective for killing.
it's choice.

u presume how game should be played.
u defined how others should play
and want reward system changed accordingly.

many players have this error actually.
they want to change rules while they don't have enough insights.
10 years of game play don't make u expert game designer.

anyway, what is your top priority? u can't have all. make choice and deal with consequences.
but why are we talking about sc in class question thread.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Arteker616

Post#56 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 am

anarchypark wrote:
Axerker wrote:
Spoiler:

my english is not good enough to explain. it may sound blunt.

that 15$ players would say 'why take 5$ path when u want 15$?'
you looks to me like saying 'make my way 15$ path, not theirs'
u are not doing all the works alone.
sometimes u need killing for objective. sometimes u hold objective for killing.
it's choice.

u presume how game should be played.
u defined how others should play
and want reward system changed accordingly.

many players have this error actually.
they want to change rules while they don't have enough insights.
10 years of game play don't make u expert game designer.

anyway, what is your top priority? u can't have all. make choice and deal with consequences.
but why are we talking about sc in class question thread.
Some of the best mmo game designers are or were gamers from other games, Brad McQuaid,Alex Afriasabi,Chris Metzen,Jeffrey Kaplan,....
opinions are like arses everyone have one but proving with logic urs is better takes time and effort and not everyone follow or even accept it , soo..

shaggyboomboom

Post#57 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 am

Axerker wrote:
I agree and disagree. Node capture should be done by everyone. If you're the only healer and the only one going to nodes (I'm usually in this situation on my healer), then they don't deserve to be healed anyway - in my opinion. Players who aren't playing to win the game, and just get kills, don't deserve to be aided by those who are attempting to win. I still heal them if they are in range, but I won't sacrifice the node capture to heal someone fighting 300 feet away on the road. I'll cap the node first, and if they're still alive I'll move over to them.
Yes, let your whole team die and then complain how your team doesn't do the flag, we all know how that works.

Axerker

Post#58 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:57 pm

shaggyboomboom wrote:
Axerker wrote:
Yes, let your whole team die and then complain how your team doesn't do the flag, we all know how that works.

There is literally no reason to assist a team member if they aren't trying to win the game. They're a waste of a slot. I'd rather have 10 lvl 1s in max SC if they at least try to cap nodes over 10 lvl 40s that just fight in a random location while our team has no nodes at all. Those people enjoy the game a certain way, and that's fine. But that playstyle is more fitting for oRvR, not SCs. Obviously I can't stop them from queueing and being a waste of a slot, same as you can't stop the WB AFKers who just sit on generators. But if they are actively playing, why not play the game mode that fits your desired playstyle?

You're putting the fault on me. If they came near the node, where I am capping, they would get healed. They want to fight 500 feet away from the nearest node? Don't waste my time. I can cap a node and a half by the time I even reach you. There's no point in arguing this. We have different opinions and that's fine. I can complain, and you can complain. There are games where I'm the only one on the whole team capping nodes and manage to win the game because of it. Most don't. Is it frustrating? Yes. Could I just ignore winning and go farm kills rather than play the way the game mode is meant to be played? Yes. Do I want to? Sometimes. It just depends on whether I feel like winning or just getting kills and most likely losing. Some people like kills, and some people like winning. Sometimes those manage to happen at the same time. Right now the majority of pug games are just kill fests and not node control.

Ads
Aurandilaz

Post#59 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

You do realize that the potential Conq emblem gain and renown gain is far superior from farming enemies than sitting on BOs/Flags alone and refusing to work with the rest of the team when it comes to gaining most out of a single scenario session?

No one logs in to RoR thinking about "finally I can do my daily hold the flag session", rather I suspect most are "yes, time to advance my char again" or "muahahaha lets get the stabbing started".

After RR 40 your "bonus renown" gain from "winning" a SC is so low anyway, a 550 gained or not gained is like a drop of piss in the sea; so might as well play for max fun, which usually in pvp games is about doing pvp.

peterthepan3

Post#60 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Situational awareness, really. While I understand the sentiment, and agree that people should try and help with objectives, if you are the only healer in your group/entire SC, your primary focus ought to be keeping your teammates up - and then the nodes.

Tell them what to do, tell them to capture the flags, but stick with them if you are their only heal. Ultimately, if they persistently fail to do what you ask, form a group with likeminded people (in this thread alone, you can see there are several people who would love to capture flags with you) and, thus, alleviate such concerns entirely.

Also I agree with Aura.