Recent Topics

Ads

Advice on New PC

Let's talk about... everything else
Prime85

Re: Advice on New PC

Post#11 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Do not buy any intel under the 8th gen. The 8th gen i3 is the same cores as the old i5 had for i3 prices.

If it where me an i was looking for a budget cpu i would get i5 8400 (6 core), i3 8100 (4 core), i3 8350k (4 core) or a Ryzen 1600(X) (6 core/12 thread).

Ryzen comes with cheaper boards but lacks the single thread RoR loves. A i3 8350k clocked at 5ghz+ is probably the one of the best cpus for this game right now.

Ads
lefze
Suspended

Post#12 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 am

Prime85 wrote:Do not buy any intel under the 8th gen. The 8th gen i3 is the same cores as the old i5 had for i3 prices.

If it where me an i was looking for a budget cpu i would get i5 8400 (6 core), i3 8100 (4 core), i3 8350k (4 core) or a Ryzen 1600(X) (6 core/12 thread).

Ryzen comes with cheaper boards but lacks the single thread RoR loves. A i3 8350k clocked at 5ghz+ is probably the one of the best cpus for this game right now.
He would also have to invest in a newer mobo though, as 8 gen doesn't run on z270. Not that I don't agree, but choosing the 8 gen i3 also leaves you hanging when it comes to future proofing. It only supports 16 pcie lanes, meaning you limit yourself to one gpu and that's it, there are no more expansion options. So the thing here is that if making the jump to 8 gen, going up to the i5 is generally a good idea.
Rip Phalanx

Prime85

Post#13 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Hes buying a new PC. So buying a newer board shouldnt be too much of a problem.

All of the cpus mentioned in this thread have 16 pci lanes except the Ryzen. Which has 24 I believe. So expandability is the same. Who is going to put 2 gpus with a buget cpu? Also no one really uses multi gpu anymore. Games just arnt coded well enough for it.

For future proofing he can alway slap anything up to a 8700k in there at a later date. As they all use the same slot

Telperien

Post#14 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm

i`d focus on basic components - CPU, Mobo, RAM and SSD - found mainstream seller with nice sale on those or with decent prices and get rest from anywhere. Atm, there are 3 ways, stay with Intel 7th which still is v good for 2-3 years, jump into 8th but overprice for Mobo, or Ryzen 5 or above, which has nice price lvl. I`m still using z170 Asrock fatality + bought cheaper i7-7700k and ill hold to that for next few years. Performance is amazing. Forget 6th gen intel.
Slacking (checking out EvE)

flubba53

Post#15 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 pm

remove the windows key you can buy a copy for 10 pounds on g2a your wasting money by buying full price fir window key then get a better monitor

dansari

Post#16 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm

flubba53 wrote:remove the windows key you can buy a copy for 10 pounds on g2a your wasting money by buying full price fir window key then get a better monitor
You probably don't want to take this advice. Most people argue that just buying a copy of windows is worth the money.
<Salt Factory>

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#17 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

dansari wrote:
flubba53 wrote:remove the windows key you can buy a copy for 10 pounds on g2a your wasting money by buying full price fir window key then get a better monitor
You probably don't want to take this advice. Most people argue that just buying a copy of windows is worth the money.
You don't have to buy at full retail. I've bought all my Win10 Pro keys for 30$ each, 6 of them now.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

dansari

Post#18 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:20 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
dansari wrote:
You don't have to buy at full retail. I've bought all my Win10 Pro keys for 30$ each, 6 of them now.
Fair point. The way I interpreted the post was encouraging pirating a copy or "buying" from shady sites.
<Salt Factory>

Ads
Orcpacolypse

Post#19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:04 pm

I just bought one custom built, but could list some of the vital components if it helps. The Corsair case on your link is what I have, Z270 - Gaming k3 motherboard, i7 7700k @4.20 ghz, 2x 8gb ddr4 sticks and a 650w psu. Smooth as butter though at the same time a little more than what is needed for games atm, think the GPU's like 1070 or 1070 ti will be relevant for a long time to come.

better yet check this site for builds, good for inspiration https://www.chillblast.com/desktop-pcs/ ... gaming-pcs