Recent Topics

Ads

Advice on New PC

Let's talk about... everything else
Akalukz

Advice on New PC

Post#1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:51 am

Ok folks, it's been awhile since I have built a pc, so figured i would ask some of you all your thoughts. Let me know what you think of this build, any suggestions etc.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/Shar ... 05BA%3D%3D

If not allowed, i am sorry :)
-= Agony =-

Ads
Acidic

Re: Advice on New PC

Post#2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 am

Looks like a decent machine,

lefze
Suspended

Post#3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

Go for 7xxx intel processor not 6xxx, and buy a higher resolution display.

Edit: While the 500 watt psu might be enough, I suggest buying a 650 watt or something just to make room for future upgrades etc. And do not buy that one, buy a modular one to make cable management MUCH easier.
Rip Phalanx

Draugris

Post#4 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 am

It´s difficult to give suggestions without knowing your budget. But if you want to build your pc with upgrades in mind then you should go with a higher watt psu > 600W. Also you should not be on a budget for your monitor. You will spend a lot of time in front of it and your eyes will be thankful sooner or later. Check out the Core i5 7600 compared to the 6500, i don´t know where you are from,in germany the 7600 costs only ~20€ more.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)

Loans

Post#5 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am

Do you want to overclock the cpu?
This PC is only for gaming?
What resolution do you wanna play? 1080p ? 2k?
Actual budget?

The Corsair VS is a really bad PSU , there are better option for example Corsair CX650m or EVGA B3 or Superova G3

saupreusse
Developer

Post#6 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

I can only speak from experience and when youre not trying to overclock or use two graphics cards for whatever reason i have not even once in 8 years gone above 500 watts on any of my computers. Atm i use 500w with a gtx970 overclocked and an i5 devilscanyon and its impossible to reach 500w ever. I even started my own conspiracy as to why the companies always use ultra high powerconsumption values on their cards while at home, i was never able to force such high values. You can lookup some benchmarks for similar builds and try to find out how much power they consumed.

Sulorie

Post#7 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am

100$ for a monitor is really on the low end.
Dying is no option.

lefze
Suspended

Post#8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

saupreusse wrote:I can only speak from experience and when youre not trying to overclock or use two graphics cards for whatever reason i have not even once in 8 years gone above 500 watts on any of my computers. Atm i use 500w with a gtx970 overclocked and an i5 devilscanyon and its impossible to reach 500w ever. I even started my own conspiracy as to why the companies always use ultra high powerconsumption values on their cards while at home, i was never able to force such high values. You can lookup some benchmarks for similar builds and try to find out how much power they consumed.
I have to agree, which is why I suggested 650 which isn't a huge leap from 500 in terms of pricing but is significant in terms of future proofing. Running a 7970 and a few hdds an an old 2xxx i5 just fine on a 500 watt psu even though it shouldn't according to amd. But let's say I wanted to put in an additional gpu, I'd have to buy an all new gpu aswell, which is why buying the bare minimum can be a bad idea.

And regardless of this, the psu he selected is a bad choice, I would always go for a modular psu to not have to deal with all the excess cables.
Rip Phalanx

Ads
Draugris

Post#9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 pm

In the end of the day it depends how long the pc will stay with these components. 500W is definitely enough for this spec. Roughly calculated ~370W is needed under load. But if sometimes next year for example the GTX1080 will get a price reduction an the op wants to swap, then a 500W PSU is not sufficient as ~540W is needed then under load.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)

dansari

Post#10 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Draugris wrote:In the end of the day it depends how long the pc will stay with these components. 500W is definitely enough for this spec. Roughly calculated ~370W is needed under load. But if sometimes next year for example the GTX1080 will get a price reduction an the op wants to swap, then a 500W PSU is not sufficient as ~540W is needed then under load.
Pretty much this. I would always shoot for at least a 650W PSU because you never know what you'll want to upgrade in the future. r/buildapc reminds people all the time not to skimp on their PSU because it's really the most important part of your build. Best thing you can do is scout r/buildapcsales for deals... they post them all the time... and snag something good within your budget.
<Salt Factory>