Recent Topics

Ads

RVR loot pre-forty

Let's talk about... everything else
Anshard

RVR loot pre-forty

Post#1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 am

Found out a serious bummer today. While I was aware of the orvr loot tiers from gold bags, which was posted a few patches back, I was hoping, like live, that it was only relevant when you *opened* the bag. Apparently that is not the case.

Is there anything relevant in orvr bags pre-40? Why was this change made?

I actually have 1 conq piece on my toon that I got pre-patch and honestly, it is the only thing keeping me going as I grind through the ranks to 40. The idea that I can earn those pieces as I grind to 40 is pretty significant. At least when I reach 40, I'll get a decent boost with some conq gear. Otherwise, the grind to 40 just feels like a hazing ritual as I rush a fraternity.

For most of my toons lifespan, I am under geared, under leveled, and simply useless in most orvr, sc, and any pvp situation. I understand why the tiers were merged, but it makes playing WAR a chore for low ranks. You are simply going to lose to anyone of higher rank than you. And if that isn't painful enough, everyone knows this and reminds you of it regularly. WBs filter out low ranked players, SCs are often blamed on low ranking players, and forget getting a pre-made as a low ranking player.

Anyway, I was really bummed to find out the bags I've been holding onto will not, in fact, be rank 40 gear once I hit rank 40. I greatly disagree with this decision as honestly my goal of hitting 40 no longer holds the meaning it did previously, and now I need to hit 40 AND then start the conq grind.

If anyone can offer some thoughts as to why this change was necessary or how I might be able to approach this in a more positive way, I am open to hear them. I really do like WAR, but the loot bag change just felt like... it just keeps making me wonder 'why bother'? Can't we just hold onto the bags and wait till 40? Is that so bad?
Last edited by Anshard on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
szejoza

Re: RVR loot pre-forty

Post#2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:39 am

Its called gear progression

You shouldn't be able to get gear requiring 45+RR while you are still below merc/anni level
Spoiler:

Anshard

Post#3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 am

szejoza wrote:Its called gear progression

You shouldn't be able to get gear requiring 45+RR while you are still below merc/anni level
I also shouldn't be fighting players *WITH* gear requiring 45+ RR below merc/anni level. That's why the base game had 4 tiers. So if we all agree the merging of the tiers was necessary for the health of the game, then I think we can also agree that gear progression shouldn't follow the old tier system.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 am

Anshard wrote:
szejoza wrote:Its called gear progression

I also shouldn't be fighting players *WITH* gear requiring 45+ RR below merc/anni level. That's why the base game had 4 tiers. So if we all agree the merging of the tiers was necessary for the health of the game, then I think we can also agree that gear progression shouldn't follow the old tier system.
Your bolster is based on the level of the gear you're wearing. There is very much a point to having gear progression in RvR.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Anshard

Post#5 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 am

wargrimnir wrote: Your bolster is based on the level of the gear you're wearing. There is very much a point to having gear progression in RvR.
Bolster does not make you a match for the gear, abilities, and mastery points of a rank 40. Everyone knows this, they remind low rank players all the time.

I agree there very much is a point to have gear progression in RvR. I agree there and am not making issue of it. However, that point is the same point that requires their be a tier 2 and tier 3 for rvr. It is also the same point that separated rank 40 SCs from rank 31-39 in live.

The point is that a player should progress through the game through stages and slowly grow in ability, gear, and stats fighting challenges equivalent to their rank.

This isn't present in rvr.

Look, I understand saying 'We don't want low rank players earning top rank gear." but I am playing with, fighting against, and being slaughtered by people with said gear, but without the ability to earn that gear. Doesn't that seem off?

Anshard

Post#6 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

Torquemadra wrote: If you have a clue, and are geared appropriately to your level, you are more than competitive with a level 48 bolster, 31+ is where you training wheels come off and you have to work for a living and still its not hard to pick up ruin or even anni or merc with their lowered costs.

Dont mistake losing for a gear gap, there are people who will kick your ass naked all day long on this server.
I am just going to back out of this now. It is clear the guys working on this believe strongly in the current approach. However, I will leave with a single screenshot taken in just the time this discussion has been going on. I may not have a clue, and I may not know what to do when my 'training wheels' come off (not like it was much different before 31), but not believing what I am saying doesn't change the below reaction I see every day in game (because it seems like everyone ELSE believes this issue is present):

https://imgur.com/a/GP0DJ

diedrake

Post#7 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 am

Lol saw these posts were going to pop up. Best advice honestly adapt to the changes, alot of us are not happy with the changes. Heck all my buddies left the game due to the change.

Adapt or take a break from the game :/
Fenaal- SM 40/84
Fanaal- CH 40/7x

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 am

Anshard wrote: I am just going to back out of this now. It is clear the guys working on this believe strongly in the current approach. However, I will leave with a single screenshot taken in just the time this discussion has been going on. I may not have a clue, and I may not know what to do when my 'training wheels' come off (not like it was much different before 31), but not believing what I am saying doesn't change the below reaction I see every day in game (because it seems like everyone ELSE believes this issue is present):

https://imgur.com/a/GP0DJ
Pug warband? Try grouping with humans that enjoy your company. The guy leading that warband doesn't know you. Doesn't know if you can play well. Probably isn't going around checking to make sure your gear is up to spec, or that you have talismans slotted, or that you're using potion buffs. Next time you get kicked from one of those, let the leader know you do all of these things and he might be a bit more reluctant to drop you.

That is of course, provided you actually do all of those things.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
adamthelc

Post#9 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:20 am

Its really makes more sense this way. Their is only 1 tier of gear to grind towards once you get to 40/41. It used to be a much longer grind to the highest set of gear. When the game first launched there were no tokens and you couldnt get very high level gear. Conq may have been the highest or was it anni? Excpet for like 1 or 2 pieces you could buy from each set, if I remember correctly.

It was nice to get end game gear while you level, but its a little goofy. Crying and talking about not playing because of it is extremely petulant.

ragafury

Post#10 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:28 am

mmmh, I agree with 99% of it. I like gearprogression, and the feeling of "growing in power"
but I would personally see CR36 + RR38 or CR38+RR40 or even CR38+RR41 more as valid than CR40 RR41.

1. You end up with officer tokens for days (yes potions, yes salvagin, but still)
2. you will be unable to buy mercenary at the stages when you need it / want it, cause there is almost no access to the currency anymore besides the quests from the matching SC (major issue imho)
3. you want at that point, or RR39, to work on your next gear set, even if you can't wear it, the gear set which you have aquired at the ranks RR38/39 will probably still serve you long.
4. it's very demotivating to continue playing if you are excluded from the lootables (probably a new player problem only, cause old guys will now how to raise there purple bar, still, it adds a phase of frustration till you get anything again from oRvR).

what I like so far is:
1. more ppl look for epic weapon quests again and don't run around with "green statsticks of the enduring", so they have gotten again more value, which is a good thing.
2. need to check again more if you can effort stuff and not hope for 1x conq or 5x conq medals and feel like a oil sheikh or oligarch at the gear vendor.

However, as a experienced player it's all neglectable besides the mercenary issue.

(as a side info, my current toon is CR36/RR36, so I leveled "balanced" and I farmed ruin and stuff. probably my RR will now get again now bigger than my career rank, still I will be excluded from the loottables for 1 or 2 days, depending on activity and playsession I can invest on that char.

tl;dr: the mercenary gear issue may needs a look at imo at least cause of "how to get currency?")

edit: oh and I'm a fan of fluid progression, but I see it as valid "contentblock" and "punishment" for ppl who do there 1-40 in one week and than play dead weight with RR1 and a bad bolster cause close to 0 gear.*
Last edited by ragafury on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---