RVR loot pre-forty

Let's talk about... everything else
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: RVR loot pre-forty

Post#61 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 pm

WorstNovak wrote:
Torquemadra wrote:
If you have a clue, and are geared appropriately to your level, you are more than competitive with a level 48 bolster, 31+ is where your training wheels come off and you have to work for a living and still its not hard to pick up ruin or even anni or merc with their lowered costs.

Dont mistake losing for a gear gap, there are people who will kick your ass naked all day long on this server.
This isn't really relevant in a discussion that, I assume, is focused on the mean. Some people are good. Plenty of people aren't. The bolster for 31+ is not enough by any measure. Don't believe me? Play an average geared char that is 31-34. It isn't fun.
Bolster for 31+ wasn't touched when the mid-tier bolster was created. There's plenty of things that you can do with your early R30's when it comes to leveling or accumulating gear that are not found in RvR. Consider it a moment to coast while you get your other non-RvR objectives in order. Maybe you can use this time to get your crafting ranked up. Get a head start on the epic weapon quests which do a pretty good job of leveling you. Hang out at some busy PQ's for Ruin pieces and fragments. Power through it in RvR for a couple levels to get Annihilator. Or just grind out some scenarios and hope your realm can carry you.

We're rather aware that there are a couple level ranges that make it more difficult to get things done solely in RvR. 16-19 is a rough spot as well, because you're still sitting on a single tactic and are finishing Obliterator gear. That's fine. Take a break from the thing you're doing, and do a different thing for a bit. This is after all a large multi-faceted MMO with a lot of different things to be doing across all the level ranges to optimize your chances of success in PvP.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Anshard

Post#62 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Smellybelly wrote:Nothing thats been said here so far changes the fact that you dont get anything from RVR as a lowbie except renown, wich is easier to get in scenarios. So ..for me the incentive is lost. Boredom might make me roam into the lakes with a lowbie character but little else.
This is accurate and to the point. It is unfortunate. Also, suggestions to go 'run some PQs, grind some PvE content, etc.' seem to lack the reason I choose to play WAR, the PvP.

Now don't get me wrong, I like progression, but that is the point that is being made here. Remove the enjoyment of the progression, remove the carrot stick, and you are left with a significant amount of boring grind, something that is a death knell to someone looking for PvP enjoyment. Btw, I'd like to add, while I find disadvantaged PvP to be a grind, i.e. low ranking PvP in current merged tier WAR, I find it enjoyable as long as I am gaining meaningful rewards. Considering I PvP enough to always max out my gear for my available rank, the current bags offer no reward.

Finally, the discussion about bolster just seems overly subjective, but lacks several key points. I can't use the potions a rank 40 can, I can't use the talismans a rank 40 can, I can't use the tactics, the tactic slots, the renown rewards, the gear set bonuses, the epic quest weapon bonuses, CC, armor penetration, etc. etc. etc. I'm not even certain why anyone has argued the difference isn't apparent. I'm a bit confused by it and my reactionary conclusion is that the people arguing these points haven't been grinding the low ranks recently.

Which, personally, I wouldn't blame them. Regardless, look, I greatly respect the work that has been done here, and the time commitments involved. I really am not trying to make the developer's lives miserable or pan them for their decision. I also work hard (retired game dev, now working boring business sector), have a family, and I've been around the block for awhile. It is one of the reasons I came back to WAR, fond memories of one of my favorite PvP MMOs.

Actually, the most important reason WHY I like WAR is because with limited time to play, it always had something to offer a player at any rank. Seriously, that is a great quality of the game. At rank 10, I can play SCs, I can rvr, I can PvE, etc. I can play and enjoy the game at my own pace and when I have time. This only loops me right back around to my OP and point, I understand the need to merge the tiers but it has limited the enjoyment of low rank play. Take away the bags earned, it felt like just another pain point for low rank play. As I said, it was a major bummer.

Hey, one last point before I go. A suggestion, might be helpful, might not. At least, I'd prefer to try to offer a possible compromise. What if gold bags for low tiers offered a token, that could be redeemed for tier 4 gold bags but at a reduced rate? I know I am essentially offering more work for the devs, but I am trying to keep it minimal. Add to one of the central vendors in the major cities a token turn in for these. Turn in 2 tokens, get a gold bag of your appropriate rank, turn in 1 and get like 5 medallions. It won't make everyone happy, but it also meets halfway.

Regardless, my additional 2 cents.

dansari

Post#63 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:04 pm

A token system would be fantastic. Make it so that you can turn in an X token for Dev gear, 2X tokens for anni, 4X tokens for conq (in different colors like we do for ruin). Put Genesis and subj on the same token system. Honestly this would be the best and most effective method for tackling a variety of dis-incentives I see from players (duplicates and low incentive for bolstered players). Personally, this is the change I most want to see because you put everything on the same path. You have the choice in whether you want to get a dev piece now or 1/4, 1/6, 1/10, whatever, of a conq piece later.
<Salt Factory>

Arteker616

Post#64 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 am

wargrimnir wrote:
WorstNovak wrote:
Torquemadra wrote:
If you have a clue, and are geared appropriately to your level, you are more than competitive with a level 48 bolster, 31+ is where your training wheels come off and you have to work for a living and still its not hard to pick up ruin or even anni or merc with their lowered costs.

Dont mistake losing for a gear gap, there are people who will kick your ass naked all day long on this server.
This isn't really relevant in a discussion that, I assume, is focused on the mean. Some people are good. Plenty of people aren't. The bolster for 31+ is not enough by any measure. Don't believe me? Play an average geared char that is 31-34. It isn't fun.
Bolster for 31+ wasn't touched when the mid-tier bolster was created. There's plenty of things that you can do with your early R30's when it comes to leveling or accumulating gear that are not found in RvR. Consider it a moment to coast while you get your other non-RvR objectives in order. Maybe you can use this time to get your crafting ranked up. Get a head start on the epic weapon quests which do a pretty good job of leveling you. Hang out at some busy PQ's for Ruin pieces and fragments. Power through it in RvR for a couple levels to get Annihilator. Or just grind out some scenarios and hope your realm can carry you.

We're rather aware that there are a couple level ranges that make it more difficult to get things done solely in RvR. 16-19 is a rough spot as well, because you're still sitting on a single tactic and are finishing Obliterator gear. That's fine. Take a break from the thing you're doing, and do a different thing for a bit. This is after all a large multi-faceted MMO with a lot of different things to be doing across all the level ranges to optimize your chances of success in PvP.
The problem is most lvl 31 dont want to actualy do the old grind style oldest players used to endure.

The new system encouraged the easy loot for alot of players wich never though about bothering about planing ahead to gear and lvl up.
this mean they dont bother to actualy even farm ruin or grind for t3 scs gear or even merc.

of course this mean alot of players from range 31 to 40 wich never worried to try to gear up abit found themselves with the fantastic strong boolster gone .

and thus drama and whine. some people did expect to reach 40 with full conq genesis and sub weapons on bags then woala im geared .

and per usual it made to forums.