X Realm Cooldown

Let's talk about... everything else
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Re: X Realm Cooldown

Post#31 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:08 am

Why it is hard to limit actually cross realming and what we would like to do :

Why it is hard :

- Creating an account is free, so anyone can technically create more than 1 account : Check account won't solve cross realming issue
- Checking IP of account is not a solution : Many ppl can play under the same IP (me, my sons, my wife, my cat...)
- Checking MAC adress is not possible with actual launcher.

What we would like to do :

According X-Realm is a real issue when the move is done from the outnumbered side to other one, we would like to limit (put a timer) to move in this direction, and "invite" (remove timer limitation) when the player goes to the outnumbered side. Of course without an efficient patcher/tool to do it, it is impossible.

Ads
Argot

Post#32 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am

introducing "x realm cooldown" will prevent ppl looking for challenge of switching to underdog side as well. open RVR is not the only one part of this game. ur not allways sticking to contribution. scenarios are huge part of RoR as well. just for the record i've never heard from ppl i been playing with "let's switch to other side. we're too outnumbered here" or something like this. it's allways the oposite

Afterlife92

Post#33 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am

I always play the underdog side.
Bakir

Welch - DoK / Welchz - WP
Paperboy - RP (R.I.P) / Meekz - Zealot
Welchs - AM / Littlez - Shaman
Kriksos - Mara / Skengman - Engi

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#34 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 am

Argot wrote:introducing "x realm cooldown" will prevent ppl looking for challenge of switching to underdog side as well. open RVR is not the only one part of this game. ur not allways sticking to contribution. scenarios are huge part of RoR as well. just for the record i've never heard from ppl i been playing with "let's switch to other side. we're too outnumbered here" or something like this. it's allways the oposite
Read what i wrote please :).

According what i read here, everyone is playing on the underdog side, so none is complaining about Cross-realming and obviously faction population is perfectly balanced right ? :) FYI, statut page per tier indicates ppl RvR flagged (and thats why global connected pop number is different)

Fallenkezef

Post#35 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:23 am

Yaliskah wrote:Why it is hard to limit actually cross realming and what we would like to do :

Why it is hard :

- Creating an account is free, so anyone can technically create more than 1 account : Check account won't solve cross realming issue
- Checking IP of account is not a solution : Many ppl can play under the same IP (me, my sons, my wife, my cat...)
- Checking MAC adress is not possible with actual launcher.

What we would like to do :

According X-Realm is a real issue when the move is done from the outnumbered side to other one, we would like to limit (put a timer) to move in this direction, and "invite" (remove timer limitation) when the player goes to the outnumbered side. Of course without an efficient patcher/tool to do it, it is impossible.
So the basic issue is how to encourage people to swap over to the losing side.
Alea iacta est

wachlarz

Post#36 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 pm

Who cares of wining bags in rr 50+ . Pp have good items in this lvl and dont care for next weapon or armor. More embles? Who cares ? Good guilds farm emblems and dont need them. We need other solution.

bichka

Post#37 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:43 am

how exactly it's helps with guys who have 2 accounts for each side?
some of my inactive mates made a separate account for each new toon. gl to make X-Realm CD.

bichka

Post#38 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 am

>Checking MAC adress is not possible with actual launcher.
-lol, it's can be changed
-there can be lot of network interfaces including dynamic ones. vpn/virtual machines, gl to find out which is actually used.
-changing broken NIC = X-Realmer?
and finally your MAC address have any value only in local collision domain. i.e. to closest router of your ISP and not visible for anyone outside.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#39 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm

bichka wrote:>Checking MAC adress is not possible with actual launcher.
-lol, it's can be changed
-there can be lot of network interfaces including dynamic ones. vpn/virtual machines, gl to find out which is actually used.
-changing broken NIC = X-Realmer?
and finally your MAC address have any value only in local collision domain. i.e. to closest router of your ISP and not visible for anyone outside.
Aside from the many different ways you can change your own values, these things will be tied to any account you log into for comparison purposes. If someone changes MAC address values more often than their underwear, yeah, you might be flagged as a cheater. We can check pretty much anything your OS provides, given time and inclination to do so. It's not hard to tell if someone is running a VM, or WINE on Linux, or playing from a cloud PC, or connecting from a VPN. At a certain point it's going to be more cumbersome for the people trying to hide than it is for us to track them down. We have the luxury of automation, a database to store and compare, and the complete lack of empathy for smashing people that raise too many red flags at the same time.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

adamthelc

Post#40 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Just for arguments sake there is another way you could deal with people logging onto the winning side.

A sliding zone cap that would periodically check population numbers and not let the larger side get too much larger, could solve this issue. Especially if xrealming was then encouraged.

Now I realize it would cause other issues, so I am not saying its the answer. But its something to at least consider IF the people behind the game think this is indeed a serious issue.

It would also be a way to encourage multiple zones.

Is it more important to have a everyone be able to immediately play with their friends? Or to have an actual good good experience for the people that are playing.

You could create the cap so it doesnt create ridiculous situations. Like 1, 2 or even 3 WBs are alwaya allowed regardless of the population of the smaller side.

Or use it to just remove some of the more ridiculous situations. Like say if the enemy has 2 or 3 more warbands than the smaller side.

I know some people really dont like pop caps, but dont jump down my throat. I dont really get upset by population imbalances. It just seems like a logical fix if people think this is a big issue. Might be worth some thought.