Recent Topics

Ads

Character 3D model capture for 3D printing?

Let's talk about... everything else
ChicagoJoe

Character 3D model capture for 3D printing?

Post#1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 pm

There are some programs out there that let people pull the 3d models from games - Has anyone tried it on ROR? I searched for a previous topic but may have just not had the right words.

The player character models are amazing in this game - a 3D printed version of one would be epic.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.

Ads
szejoza

Re: Character 3D model capture for 3D printing?

Post#2 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 am

Tbh models are dull here, textures do hell of a work for the feeling.
Easy to get is machinima with its trial version, although it gets models from art.myp files and not from game directly (so you can't get your fancy looking char 3D printed)

For in-game extraction there is a ninja ripper and 3D ripper but I haven't played with those. They supposedly allow you to extract models directly from game

some info here
http://forum.dark-omen.org/empty-t1361.0.html;
Spoiler:

ChicagoJoe

Post#3 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 pm

I will do some research, thanks for the information - If I find anything I will post here. I have some engineers who work for me who need to do this kind of stuff for design proposals... It is not gaming related, but it is a similar pull and print concept, and I have seen some 3D printing with brick texture detail so it may be possible.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.

areanda

Post#4 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 pm

http://forum.ragezone.com/f857/warhamme ... ndex5.html page 5 also machinima studio will help u do it.

Kathias

Post#5 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi, sorry for reviving old threads, but I'd also really love to get my hands on some nice 3D models for printing, however I have no experience in ripping and adjusting the models directly from the game files.

Does anyone perhaps have some STL files either from Warhammer Online or Warhammer Total War ready to be 3D printed? I'd love some high elven stuff, but I'd be grateful for anything!

Kathias

Post#6 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 pm

So in the end I've downloaded EasyMYP and extracted some models (just buildings and statues in the nif format for now, as they seem to be easier to adjust and print). All models I've extracted however need some significant adjustments before they can be printed (by default there are missing layers, large holes in the walls or parts too small to be printed).

After some week of trying, I currently have four models that are more or less ready to be 3D printed - Colossus statue from LotD, high elven manor, chaos twisting tower (no idea where that one is in the game) and a high elven bust. I won't get to a 3D printer for at least two week, so it'll take a while for me to share the results.

If there's someone interested, I'd be happy to share the files. If there's someone who'd like to try their luck in adjusting the models to make them ready for printing, I'd be even happier...

Skullgrin

Post#7 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Kathias wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 pm So in the end I've downloaded EasyMYP and extracted some models (just buildings and statues in the nif format for now, as they seem to be easier to adjust and print). All models I've extracted however need some significant adjustments before they can be printed (by default there are missing layers, large holes in the walls or parts too small to be printed).

After some week of trying, I currently have four models that are more or less ready to be 3D printed - Colossus statue from LotD, high elven manor, chaos twisting tower (no idea where that one is in the game) and a high elven bust. I won't get to a 3D printer for at least two week, so it'll take a while for me to share the results.

If there's someone interested, I'd be happy to share the files. If there's someone who'd like to try their luck in adjusting the models to make them ready for printing, I'd be even happier...

This sounds fascinating, would love to have a little statue of my character (and am sure others would like to do the same with theirs) but wouldn't have a clue how to even get started. Please do update this with pictures of your results!
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Kathias

Post#8 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 am

I'll share the finished models as soon as I can, but it'll take a couple of weeks. Also, I'm afraid that I won't even try the character models due to the difficulty in adjusting them. There are however some statues of the playable classes that should be printable (I suppose those are the statues in the capital city, so unfortunately greenskins are replaced by some totems),

Here is a teaser what the results might look like, it's the four models I've prepared for now:
https://imgur.com/a/L2jID4v

Ads
ChicagoJoe

Post#9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Those models look great. What causes problems with the adjustments from the character files? I would think that is the ultimate goal... thank you though for your hard work and experimentation.

Kathias

Post#10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 pm

To be honest, I didn't manage to convert the .geom files to any usable format, so I gave up after that for now. I'd also expect these three issues with them:

1. From what I could find, there is no easy way to adjust the position of the character models, so they'd be most likely stuck in the default T pose with stretched arms and I don't like that. The best workaround I have now is to go with the statues of the playable classes (all but greenskins are available).
2. Similar to the bust I've already adjusted, I'd expect there to be a lot of hollow parts and surfaces with basically 0 thickness (such as capes, hair etc.) that are in the game only visible due to their textures, but you need to either remove them or make them thicker to make a successful print. I don't have almost any experience in 3D design, so it's quite hard for me to do it.
3. I generally find it much more difficult to print characters due to all the thin parts and overhangs, which would need a lot of supports and can easily break off, so I'm sticking with the buildings until I have more experience :)