Recent Topics

Ads

Understanding class differences

Let's talk about... everything else
DigitalPsycho

Understanding class differences

Post#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am

I played in the original War a Squig Herder and reached Sovereign Armor. But I always felt that compared to other classes damage was lacking. After War went offline I went back to WoW and played that on and off. Over time I discovered that I absolutely love Arms Warrior, but I just don’t like how PvP is handled in WoW.

Now I’m back on War, but I don’t remember a lot of the differences of the classes and especially not what class is close to the Arms Warrior feeling in War or does War not have a class like Arms Warrior? I also absolutely hate leveling so I would prefer to be correct with my first class pick.

The basic question is should I pick a Tank or a Melee DPS.
Can I pick a Tank and play him on damage or is that just wasted potential? What tanks are better for that playstyle and which ones are pure tanks? Will somebody take me in a Group or do I have to play Tank for that?

If I play a Melee DPs what are the actual differences between a Marauder, Choppa, White Lion or Slayer?

Ads
Fallenkezef

Re: Understanding class differences

Post#2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 am

The roles in pvp are not clear cut. A 2h tank is not exactly there to do huge bursty damage but to do sustained damage and provide utility, support the team.

Mara is a swiss army knife, can spec to do burst, dot or aoe and can be tanky or squisy.

Slayer/choppa is textbook glass cannon, lots of damage outgoing, lots incoming. Very hard without group support.

WL is a good starting class, easy to play and fairly idiot proof
Alea iacta est

machopi1

Post#3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 am

Fallenkezef wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 amWL is a good starting class, easy to play and fairly idiot proof
Yes, because the ONE thing we need is more wls.
worst meme eu 2k18

michela89

Post#4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am

DigitalPsycho wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am I played in the original War a Squig Herder and reached Sovereign Armor. But I always felt that compared to other classes damage was lacking. After War went offline I went back to WoW and played that on and off. Over time I discovered that I absolutely love Arms Warrior, but I just don’t like how PvP is handled in WoW.

Now I’m back on War, but I don’t remember a lot of the differences of the classes and especially not what class is close to the Arms Warrior feeling in War or does War not have a class like Arms Warrior? I also absolutely hate leveling so I would prefer to be correct with my first class pick.

The basic question is should I pick a Tank or a Melee DPS.
Can I pick a Tank and play him on damage or is that just wasted potential? What tanks are better for that playstyle and which ones are pure tanks? Will somebody take me in a Group or do I have to play Tank for that?

If I play a Melee DPs what are the actual differences between a Marauder, Choppa, White Lion or Slayer?
You can play a more dmg oriented tank, but you still gotta remember your first role or might aswell roll a MDPS.

SM/BO and IB/BG would be my go to for playing an offensive tank. SM when specced and geared for it is the most reliable in terms of pure dmg because they mostly ignore armor, but that's literally all they bring to the table. Tanks like IB/BG have good damage and LOTS more goodies depending on how you build them, more and better CC, more buffs/debuffs for your enemies/allies, self-heals/absorbs.

the main difference for me is that Mara is a class that can work on his own, things like Choppa and Slayer are more dependant on guard and heals (also mara but to a less degree) and the marauder doesn't give a flying F about armor, while choppa/slayer might need someone to debuff their target.
Last edited by michela89 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

ragafury

Post#5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am

2hd bo plays a bit like arms warrior but you missing a bazillion tools which made arms warrior very good in arena back in tbc were I peaked on 2.1k on him...

No thunder clap
No mortal strike
No execute
No offensive charge
No gear swap defensive charge
No gear swap spell reflect
No gear swap self regen

So all the good utility stuff isn't on Bo.

Besides comparable St snare (hamstring vs trip em up) capabilities and armor debuff (sunder armor vs wot armor?)

But still the dmg you can put out on your own and the "feel" of the class is somewhat strangely comparable, but since you are missing the equivalent to MS it's mostly (heavy) fluff and nowhere near as good as compared to arms warrior.

However, I have no clue how wow plays nowadays and I have no idea how much the arms warrior has changed since tbc and wotlk, which is I guess a eons away from what it is now.

Edit: some of this utility you'll find on marauder / wl, though wl is a pet class.

Edit2: also 2hd bo requires a lot of gear renown and so on and is not always the optimal spec

Edit3: tanks function as tanks in war, in wow you respecced and geared and were a dps class with defensive goodies if you played proper. If you want to dps, you are better served with a dps class imo.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Fallenkezef

Post#6 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:55 am

machopi1 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 am
Fallenkezef wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 amWL is a good starting class, easy to play and fairly idiot proof
Yes, because the ONE thing we need is more wls.
worst meme eu 2k18
L2P?
Alea iacta est

TenTonHammer

Post#7 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 pm

ragafury wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am 2hd bo plays a bit like arms warrior but you missing a bazillion tools which made arms warrior very good in arena back in tbc were I peaked on 2.1k on him...

i dont know about arms warrior not rich enough for sub based games, but based on all you said the closest might be 2H IB/BG?

peterthepan3

Post#8 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm

2h BO

Ads
Eathisword

Post#9 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm

DigitalPsycho wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am The basic question is should I pick a Tank or a Melee DPS.

I'll refer to WoW MoP and Legion cause that's when i played compet arena. for melee, they feel like :
- Ib and BG are like ret pally : dot dot burst, self healing, bubbles and such. Not stellar damage but well.
- Mara/WL = Arm/fury warrior : tough as nails for dps, mobile, big damage on impact.
- Chosen/knight = back then blood DK. Tough and boring, annoying to play against.
- SM and BO = are a mix in my mind of all 3 above. They can be tough, they can do big damage, etc.

- Slayer and choppa dont have equivalent in woW. Wow doesn't have classes that are 100% reliant on team to do anything.

finally the main reason good 2h tanks player cannot be good dps in WAR is because you need heal debuff to kill anything. Tank don'T have one, WL either. Considering this, for a true Arms warrio killing feel, only mara is suitable imo. WL is good, but its has no healdebuff, so he can't kill competent players on his own like arm War can.
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.

Mystry
Suspended

Post#10 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:30 pm

DigitalPsycho wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am The basic question is should I pick a Tank or a Melee DPS.

'DPS' tanks are about sustained damage with CC while being able to sit in the middle of the big brawl.
MDPS are about bursting a single target down before the enemy team figures out that you are there and tears you a new ass.

Mara has literally every single tool in the entire game. Plus a ranged 'get over here' scorpion pull.
Choppa is about aoeing.
White Lion is about single target burst.
Slayer is like Choppa, but better.
Eathisword wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm finally the main reason good 2h tanks player cannot be good dps in WAR is because you need heal debuff to kill anything. Tank don'T have one, WL either. Considering this, for a true Arms warrio killing feel, only mara is suitable imo. WL is good, but its has no healdebuff, so he can't kill competent players on his own like arm War can.
You are unironically making me want to propose a healing debuff for SM.