Recent Topics

Ads

Location of server/IP address?

Let's talk about... everything else
Alandrian

Re: Location of server/IP address?

Post#11 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:32 pm

K13R wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:04 am
wargrimnir wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:33 pm Some things can't be fixed, like connecting to a server on the literal other side of the planet with reasonable ping times.
Pretty much this im guessing your in the high 40 in hops if you had a direct to the server you would still have a bit of lag. It wouldnt matter what the server architecture. Out side of the bitterstone idea which ia basically limiting the calls your client make to the server your SOL
What is this 'bitterstone idea'? Want to give it a try.

Ads
HissiCNesS

Post#12 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Spoiler:
Alandrian wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:32 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:33 pm Some things can't be fixed, like connecting to a server on the literal other side of the planet with reasonable ping times.
Pretty much this im guessing your in the high 40 in hops if you had a direct to the server you would still have a bit of lag. It wouldnt matter what the server architecture. Out side of the bitterstone idea which ia basically limiting the calls your client make to the server your SOL
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20075

I think that's what he was referring to, GL!
Crondar Ravenclaw (MA) / Rennoc Fleshtearer (BG)
Adrovar Warpbender (MG) / Kurgog Gorkamork (BO)

Wigbrand Jaeger (WH) / Lorandriel Moonfang (SW)
Belenos Endovelicus (BW) / Brawlgrim Thunderaxe (SL)

AVENGE THE DEAD, FREE THE ENSLAVED!

Alandrian

Post#13 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 am

HissiCNesS wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 pm
Spoiler:
Alandrian wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:32 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20075

I think that's what he was referring to, GL!
I don't see anything in that guide about network settings. :/

How do I limit the calls my client makes to the server - tried searching on the forum for this but didn't find anything.

Tesq

Post#14 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:06 am

Alandrian wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:26 am I'm a new RoR player, old WAR player (since closed beta). I started playing since last week, a lot of good memories have resurfaced. I even found myself sub-consciously reaching to touch keys on my keyboard where I had bound certain abilities (9 years ago!!!). lol.

Anyway, to my question:

I did a search for this, couldn't find anything. I wanted to know where the server is located and if possible it's IP address so I can check my latency to it (unless there is somewhere in-game I can check my ping, which I don't remember/couldn't find).

I'm often getting really bad bursts of lag which freeze everything for 5 - 10 seconds. Obviously not good for heated battles in RvR.

I found the IP for the actual RoR site, which seems to be hosted in the US, and my ping to that is only 20ms, but there's no way that can be my server ping too, the lag is too noticeable, so I don't think the server is in the same place as the site.

I'm in New Zealand btw.
Wait, burst of lag, like video and total screen freeze like you cantmove around are about your pc, if you experience sich wherw other do not move, skill not start, or both happen with delay but you can freely move around that is internet latency.

For what you described above it seems to be the computer not the internet connection.
War is cpu based and transfer data baeed, so you may want to check how much things run faster rather than the potency or the internet connection.

Alandrian

Post#15 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:57 am

Tesq wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:06 am
Alandrian wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:26 am I'm a new RoR player, old WAR player (since closed beta). I started playing since last week, a lot of good memories have resurfaced. I even found myself sub-consciously reaching to touch keys on my keyboard where I had bound certain abilities (9 years ago!!!). lol.

Anyway, to my question:

I did a search for this, couldn't find anything. I wanted to know where the server is located and if possible it's IP address so I can check my latency to it (unless there is somewhere in-game I can check my ping, which I don't remember/couldn't find).

I'm often getting really bad bursts of lag which freeze everything for 5 - 10 seconds. Obviously not good for heated battles in RvR.

I found the IP for the actual RoR site, which seems to be hosted in the US, and my ping to that is only 20ms, but there's no way that can be my server ping too, the lag is too noticeable, so I don't think the server is in the same place as the site.

I'm in New Zealand btw.
Wait, burst of lag, like video and total screen freeze like you cantmove around are about your pc, if you experience sich wherw other do not move, skill not start, or both happen with delay but you can freely move around that is internet latency.

For what you described above it seems to be the computer not the internet connection.
War is cpu based and transfer data baeed, so you may want to check how much things run faster rather than the potency or the internet connection.
It's definitely network latency, I can move, but every other character/npc freezes, and skills don't work.

It's getting pretty much unplayable. :( If anyone has any advice on how I can optimize my connection to the server I would really appreciate it. I couldn't find anything network/internet related on that performance thread everyone keeps quoting, I would of thought that would be more important than PC optimization - WAR was released in 2008, it's 2018. Almost every PC including laptops with integrated GPUs should be able to run WAR smoothly so nobody cares about FPS. Heck, I remember even in 2009 playing WAR on a cheap laptop with integrated graphics at one point.

Wish this server was located in the US at least grumble grumble. :| :D

RuffRyder

Post#16 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:14 am

Alandrian wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:57 am
Spoiler:
Tesq wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:06 am

Anyway, to my question:

I'm in New Zealand btw.

It's definitely network latency, I can move, but every other character/npc freezes, and skills don't work.

It's getting pretty much unplayable. :( If anyone has any advice on how I can optimize my connection to the server I would really appreciate it. I couldn't find anything network/internet related on that performance thread everyone keeps quoting, I would of thought that would be more important than PC optimization - WAR was released in 2008, it's 2018. Almost every PC including laptops with integrated GPUs should be able to run WAR smoothly so nobody cares about FPS. Heck, I remember even in 2009 playing WAR on a cheap laptop with integrated graphics at one point.

Wish this server was located in the US at least grumble grumble. :| :D
Some of the solutions described in the thread have impact on the client/server connection, too, but as wargrimnir already stated, you can not simply bypass the physical connection that connects New Zealand with France in this case. There will be just more hops than e.g. from Russia to France, and sure you had better latency when connecting to a U.S. site, while EU would have the problem the other way round. It also depends on your Internet connection and provider, but for private customers and reasonable price latency will not change significantly, either you use xDSL, cable or whatever line, even with packet prioritization. Only way could be using a VPN which has gateways in EU, to eventually get a better path, but it will be as variable as your current path through the Internet, it changes from time to time, session to session, and VPN also reduces you bandwidth a bit due to encrpytion.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (Mark Twain)

Alandrian

Post#17 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I think I just found the server IP from an earlier thread, it's 178.32.58.46 - could you kindly confirm if that's still it devs?

Anyone, I just pinged it and my latency is only around 278ms, which I have to say I think is quite good from all the way in New Zealand. I just had fibre installed, could be why.

BUT. Why, then, am I getting these huge lag spikes lasting 5 - 10 seconds, where everything but me freezes? I shouldn't be getting that with only 278ms latency.

And everything in general feels much laggier than 278 ms, eg the delays in the time from clicking an ability to the ability actually executing are very noticeable.

BrockH

Post#18 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:11 am

The server is hosted in The Netherlands methinks.

46.105.54.77 looks like the loginserver IP.

Ads
Alandrian

Post#19 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 am

It turned out the problem with the massive, regular lag spikes was on my end. I finally narrowed it down to a problem with how Win Vista handles wireless networks. Every minute, the WLAN autoconfig in vista searches for new connections and this results in a massive lag spike. After I managed to turn this feature off, the lag is completely gone. The difference is like day and night. I have had no lag at all and my RvR experience is now completely smooth. Considering I live in New Zealand and the server is in France, this is awesome!! My ping is constant, around 280ms, which I think is impressive to Europe. I remember when I first started playing WoW in 2004/05, my ping to the much closer US Blizzard servers would be more than that (I think it was around 350ms).

As to why I'm still using Windows Vista in 2018... well, I just moved back to NZ after a long while away, and the only comp suitable for gaming here is my old rig from 2009 (coincidentally the same one I played retail WAR on), and I decided to keep Vista for nostalgia purposes lol. I'll be buying a new modern rig after my university is over in at the end of the year. :D

RuffRyder

Post#20 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 am

Alandrian wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 am As to why I'm still using Windows Vista in 2018... well, I just moved back to NZ after a long while away, and the only comp suitable for gaming here is my old rig from 2009 (coincidentally the same one I played retail WAR on), and I decided to keep Vista for nostalgia purposes lol. I'll be buying a new modern rig after my university is over in at the end of the year. :D
Oh well, good luck until then, Vista was really really bad, on same hardware Win7 will work smoother and even Win10 should. Sure you will get the OS bundled for less with a new PC, but from my POV there can't be enough nostalgic reasons for Vista, I would rather use XP :D There's no support for both though.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (Mark Twain)