Recent Topics

Ads

How badly would a fifth tactic slot break balance?

Let's talk about... everything else
nebelwerfer

How badly would a fifth tactic slot break balance?

Post#1 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello forum I want to discuss the idea of adding a fifth tactic slot to the game.

As topic suggests, I want to hear your ideas of how badly this would ruin the balance of the game.

Not only discuss the negatives though, because there is a nice thing about this; it will make diverse builds a lot more viable. ATM with four tactic slots there is not too much to do because you usually have 2 mandatory ones and 2 too good to pass up. Adding a fifth would give a LOT more leeway for the underperforming ones.

But it could very well break the balance in a huge way, but I am not all too familiar with all the classes so I want to hear the input of the unwashed masses. TY!

Ads
ToXoS

Re: How badly would a fifth tactic slot break balance?

Post#2 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:47 pm

I say let's try it and we will see.
We are testers right?

Ramasee

Post#3 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Power creep is the main issue.

Tactics are supposed to be designed to have an opportunity cost. The idea is that you should be sweating the choice depending on the situation

diedrake

Post#4 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Live i believe had 6 or 7, but it was 4 class tactics, 1 spec tactic ( mainly which tree you speced in is what u slotted) and 1 or 2 ToK tactics.
If they brought back the 2 or three extra slots that would get me to do pve for the ToK tactics and the 1 spec tactic was just nice to have ;)

Idk if it would break this game if devs introduced those back. But then again i also dont know if that would help with balancing :/
Fenaal- SM 40/84
Fanaal- CH 40/7x

Tesq

Post#5 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm

tok unlocks were always a wasted opportunity, i know general buff are bad but that was really something cool to boost your character and was pve related so imo a wasted opportunity in live.

nebelwerfer

Post#6 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Ramasee wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:49 pm Power creep is the main issue.

Tactics are supposed to be designed to have an opportunity cost. The idea is that you should be sweating the choice depending on the situation
If you unlock 5th tactic slots on say 40/50 how is it a big power creep? Everyone can do that, most who level in RvR are already 40/50 on R40 hehe.

The choice is not that hard for most since there is always a certain combination that excels in what you spec for unless you play a jack of all trades career, still the harsh CD on tactic swap makes it so you almost always run with one set. That is my experience anyway, maybe I would swap more and make more combinations if tactic swap had maybe a 15 sec CD, usable even in combat. That would be very interesting imo.

dansari

Post#7 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:35 pm

nebelwerfer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:25 pm The choice is not that hard for most since there is always a certain combination that excels in what you spec for unless you play a jack of all trades career, still the harsh CD on tactic swap makes it so you almost always run with one set. That is my experience anyway, maybe I would swap more and make more combinations if tactic swap had maybe a 15 sec CD, usable even in combat. That would be very interesting imo.
That would probably only make good players better with a bigger gap between casual players.
<Salt Factory>

peterthepan3

Post#8 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Unnecessary. Add a fifth, why not add a sixth? Ad nauseam.

Ads
roadkillrobin

Post#9 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm

It would widen every single class in terms of capacity and ballance would go complete haywire. Some classes have tons of tactics that synnergize both for themself and for group options while other ones would even struggle to find a 5th usefull tactic to slot.
In some cases it would fix a weak class, but aplied to everyone it would just wack out the ballance.

nebelwerfer

Post#10 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:19 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm It would widen every single class in terms of capacity and ballance would go complete haywire. Some classes have tons of tactics that synnergize both for themself and for group options while other ones would even struggle to find a 5th usefull tactic to slot.
In some cases it would fix a weak class, but aplied to everyone it would just wack out the ballance.
can you please elaborate and give a few examples, I am not too familiar with all classes I know marauder would benefit massivly since they have a pretty strong set of tactics