Recent Topics

Ads

Needing Advice on Renown Gain

Let's talk about... everything else
Fraxinus

Needing Advice on Renown Gain

Post#1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Hello everyone!
Hoping that someone can give me some guidance on what the best thing to do here would be.

So my current main is a Black Orc, level 27 and RR 22. I didn't really start doing any sort of PvP until I was already like level 10, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But, in short, the problem is thus - I'm having trouble keeping my renown rank roughly in line with my level. My current life situation is such that I can't really devote the big blocks of time that would be needed to be in a hardcore guild and/or to capture zones in the open world RvR, so my main - and pretty much only - source of renown gain is scenarios. And generally I don't want to sit around and play Minesweeper while I'm in the queue, so I do public quests while I'm waiting. But this always ends up with me seemingly generating more experience than renown.

So how important is it to keep these roughly in line? Is it a viable strategy to get to level 40 and then grind renown ranks in T4 Scenarios?

Also, as a side note, Destro has so few healers in scenarios it's depressing. I can't tell you how many times we've gotten rolled over because Order had 3 healers and we had 0. It's so bad I'm seriously considering rolling a Shaman.

Ads
Foomy44

Re: Needing Advice on Renown Gain

Post#2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Almost all of the alts in my sig were single digit RR when they hit lvl 40. Don't sweat it IMO, just keep playing. Order brings plenty of shitty comps to pug SCs too.

I solo roam 99% of my time in RvR and still manage to see renown ticks like 45k for flipping a zone, you don't need to be in a guild to benefit from RvR. Not having a lot of time to play will affect your SC renown gain just as much as your RvR renown gain IMO.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

Fraxinus

Post#3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! While I have you here, if you don't mind me asking, what are the strategies for solo-roaming RvR? It's probably a stupid question but I always sorta imagined that it would be organized and done as a group.

Foomy44

Post#4 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Fraxinus wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 pm Thanks for the reply! While I have you here, if you don't mind me asking, what are the strategies for solo-roaming RvR? It's probably a stupid question but I always sorta imagined that it would be organized and done as a group.
Main thing IMO is pick a class that's good at it and know what it can handle and what it can't, running away is an important skill for many non-kamikaze types. I won't go into crazy detail, there's plenty of threads on it, like this active one

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27359

It really helps to know what every class can do and that only comes with time and some effort. Doesn't matter how good you are if you don't know what your enemy is capable of.

Also when I'm solo roaming I hop into and out of pug WBs or follow around small parties all the time if they are nearby and we are fighting same thing, goin solo doesn't always have to mean fighting alone.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

CountTalabecland

Post#5 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:59 pm

In my own experience, for what that's worth, I have tried to get my rr as high as possible in T1. I try to literally never kill a single mob before reaching T2-T4. The renown gains in T1 are pretty good and being lvl 10-16 is a pretty good spot against lowbies and you can get yourself to rr 20 + in T1. The goal is to be as near to rr 29 by the time you get into tier 2-t4 zones. That way you can equip T3 rvr gear asap as you level. For most classes (though it is harder for tanks being so gear dependent and rr avoidance stat dependent), the bolster for ranks 20-30 is pretty damn competitive so you can take advantage of large renown gains from fighting high rr opponents.

The other possibility, one for which I do not have the patience, is to say screw it to rr, pve level yourself up to the "Ruin" set of pve gear (which is pretty decent) and then enter rvr in T2-T4. The problem here will be that you will be stuck in that gear for a long time until your rr catches up and you can equip T4 rvr gear. Furthermore, you will not be able to buy avoidance or critchance+ from the rr trainer so that will leave you lacking in performance. Also there is more pve gear around today than ever with Gunbad (goodluck running it in ruin though) and Ch. 22 PQ gear.
Just my 2 cents.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.