Recent Topics

Ads

War lack of endgame.

Let's talk about... everything else
Grunbag
Former Staff

Re: War lack of endgame.

Post#31 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Lindisfarne wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 am I don't understand why City and Forts aren't higher priority. RvR is pointless without it (imo of course). I've been waiting for city for ages hoping it would fix RvR and get people actually playing. NA time is so dead it's not even worth playing. I love the game but tryin to play with 150 people on during NA is rough.

P.S. Just my opinion here, before someone gets salty.

Who said it’s not our priority ?
Grunbag - 40 - 33 Squig Herder
Skorri - 40 - 65 Engineer

Ads
xoonerfree
Suspended

Post#32 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 pm

basically no 'best in slot' for any (maybe 1) pve items that require any commitment.

pure pvp boring, add some powerful pve items that take a while to get.

example: give a Gunbad wing boss a 15% chance to drop a 2-handed 92 dps weapon w/stats, without adding an equivalent pvp/rvr item.

that's right, fearful of power creep.

Hargrim
Developer

Post#33 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:28 pm

xoonerfree wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 pm basically no 'best in slot' for any (maybe 1) pve items that require any commitment.

pure pvp boring, add some powerful pve items that take a while to get.

example: give a Gunbad wing boss a 15% chance to drop a 2-handed 92 dps weapon w/stats, without adding an equivalent pvp/rvr item.

that's right, fearful of power creep.

Better PvE gear will be in succesive dungeons, not in Gunbad.

Valarion

Post#34 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Needs a third faction.

Just kidding.

Not really.
Last edited by Valarion on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

catholicism198

Post#35 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Zxul wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:37 pm Or the fact that there is non.

Logging into session of say Counter-Strike, compared to logging into War and going rvr- which one is more fun, gameplay speaking only? As such, what keeps mmos going is the character progression. And here comes the great problem which War always had- what do you do when you are rr100 in full WF, or in RoR rr80 in full conq? Besides reroll?

The problem started with the original AoR vision- keeps which are temporally taken then reset. If your win means nothing in the long run, you don't really have a reason to fight, besides renown tick and a chance for a bag. When AoR was just announced, I remember the resetting keeps mechanic being enough for many pvp players to not want to even try it in first place.

To compare, years ago I been playing Anarchy Online mmo (still alive after all those years, actually). It had a mass rvr mechanic introduced in Notum Wars expansion, with areas where orgs (guilds) could place towers which gave bonuses both org-wide and personal to a placing member. The placement was permanent, until destroyed by a different side (or rarely a different org). As a result, I remember several tower fights which lasted for over a week of nonstop fighting, with 100+ players on each side at each open tower field.

Then AO also had quite a bit of progression at top lvl:

- itemization (much more equipment slots compared to War, and much harder to get BiS items)
- money actually being important compared to specially RoR gold (again, itemization- but this time non-bop rare drops in different forms, compared to RoR where there is really not much reason to farm gold once you have 2 k or so free)
- research personal progression (there relevant part being unlock of mechs, out of War options those can be most closely linked to siege equipment)
- org cities (pve areas claimable by orgs, where members can farm specific form of xp and rare equipment- assuming sufficient time and money investment by the org to enable it)

Quite a bit of those could be actually translated to RoR, for example:

- Towers- some form of rvr objectives permanently claimed by guilds, and offering benefits to, until captured by guild from opposite realm under specific conditions. Possibly- attackable only once city had been captured, to give much greater motivation for keep/city fights.
- Itemization- RoR has a very poor itemization atime, with lots of specs only having choice between 2 BiS items for each slot. As such:
* pvp boe rare drops- items similar to backpacks for example.
* many more sets similar to Rare Fortune one- with specific sets dropping from pvp or pve.
* change to blue/purple items- atime Harbinger armor parts for example are much harder to get than conq- but are useless. Adding tali slots to those will make them valuable, without making them better than set gear (no set bonuses).
- Research- progression form open after rr 80, unlocking advanced siege equipment, instead of personal bonuses.
- Cities- possibly instances claimable by guilds under specific conditions (for example, remake the skaven instances into those).

Implementing those would allow character progression after rr80, without massively overpowering high rr toons comparing to lower ones.

The ultimate goal is to both give players a reason to stick with toons (and ultimately, with RoR), after rr80, and to give more meaning (and motivation) for keep fights.
Live never had any real endgame either. Aside from lotd, War never saw any real content updates. You would grind your gear and own noobs, or reroll.
It's the same with every mmo. Only difference is that some have leader boards which encourages hardcore players to continue to play and others, like lotro/wow, increase the level cap every 6months-1year/every two years to keep things "fresh."

adamthelc

Post#36 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:25 am

Live had plenty of end game, it just didnt always work well. What percentage of people killed a king or even did it and the warlord PQs before they changed it? They redid the cities, they increased level caps and they had leaderboards. The leaderboards were lame, should have been something competitive instead of renown gain, but they had them.

They had some Skaven nonsense too, but I wasnt playing much then so I dont really remember what it was. Seemed bad.

PeePeeMelna

Re: That is not dead which can eternal lie, or lets talk War endgame.

Post#37 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Fallenkezef wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 pm Next item on dev team's list are the keeps
Im curious, What are keeps? I thought the game already had keeps?

Kragg

Re: That is not dead which can eternal lie, or lets talk War endgame.

Post#38 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:23 pm

PeePeeMelna wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:45 pm
Fallenkezef wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 pm Next item on dev team's list are the keeps
Im curious, What are keeps? I thought the game already had keeps?
Fortresses, which are keeps on steroids. And after that you battle at the capital city itself
Sergeant-Major Drengk Burloksson, RR 85 Sniper
Hulfdan Irongrip, RR 81 Ironbreaker
Proud Founder of the 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
Alliance officer of the Grand Alliance

Ads
zak68

Post#39 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:26 pm

he means the zones that lay after chaos wastes (the maw) and reikland (don't remember the name) ; from what i've understood there are forts here that contains relics, items able to give some bonuses to the owning faction.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#40 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:22 pm

I would like to thank a lot OP to compare the "work in progress RoR project" with big commercial MMOs :).

Fact is we are trying our best to enhance -from scratch- this project steps by steps.

I admit since a year (of dramas), things are gone pretty slow.

The end of the year should reserve some good surprises.