Re: Don't play Tank if you too lazy to Guard

Post#11 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:58 pm

Lol.

tl;dr - Want Guard? Don't be a moron. Got it. :D

Ads
scatterthewinds

Post#12 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:13 am

@op . if you play late night NA central time we could have a spot for you.

The trick to this game is finding a group that you like personally and can play and then its best game in the world. Until then its a ****-hole.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#13 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 am

Will echo the insane dps: I guard in every sc and I have to say, a lot of mdps have no situational awareness and will just suicide into enemy zergs if they get half a chance.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#14 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:56 am

Try using /5 to ask for a tank to group with who knows how to use guard properly- problem solved.

Rynocerous

Post#15 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:17 am

I honestly think it depends on the situation.

I play a BG. When I do SC's, I use SnB and I guard the mDPS unless we only have one healer, in which case if we have more than one tank I usually guard the healer. For SCs it doesn't matter if they're stupid or not.

In oRvR... no. I know the conventional wisdom is guard mDPS. I also know the healers are the ones keeping me alive, who don't do crazy crap and who get focused by enemy when they can, so I guard them. Some other tank can guard mDPS.

As for people who don't appreciate it, I've grown calloused to that from being a healer. Some people you guard won't care or notice if you don't announce it, and some act dumb. But I can't let people acting dumb stop me from playing my class the way I should, right?
DESTRO Aindorex - Impeccible
A couple of lowbie Order toons

M0rw47h

Post#16 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:51 pm

4.99$ per 5 minutes of Guard!
Best prices, get your Guard Bot today!

Kragg

Post#17 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:50 pm

GodlessCrom wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 am Will echo the insane dps: I guard in every sc and I have to say, a lot of mdps have no situational awareness and will just suicide into enemy zergs if they get half a chance.
Mandatory for slayers tho
Sergeant-Major Drengk Burloksson, RR 85 Sniper
Hulfdan Irongrip, RR 81 Ironbreaker
Proud Founder of the 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
Alliance officer of the Grand Alliance

Luuca

Post#18 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:36 am

To the OP:

Guard is necessary. I agree.
Guarding the correct target at the right time is also necessary. I agree.
You are not always the correct target at the right time.
Know when to save yourself and quit relying on others to make up for your poor play.

Sincerely,

All decent tanks in game.

Ads
Unstoppable1776
Banned

Post#19 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:44 am

Play a tank, then you don't have to worry about guard.

Problem solved..next

lefze
Suspended

Post#20 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:04 am

Rynocerous wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:17 am I honestly think it depends on the situation.

I play a BG. When I do SC's, I use SnB and I guard the mDPS unless we only have one healer, in which case if we have more than one tank I usually guard the healer. For SCs it doesn't matter if they're stupid or not.

In oRvR... no. I know the conventional wisdom is guard mDPS. I also know the healers are the ones keeping me alive, who don't do crazy crap and who get focused by enemy when they can, so I guard them. Some other tank can guard mDPS.

As for people who don't appreciate it, I've grown calloused to that from being a healer. Some people you guard won't care or notice if you don't announce it, and some act dumb. But I can't let people acting dumb stop me from playing my class the way I should, right?
The trick is to never lock yourself into guarding one person/archetype. By default both dps in a party should have the guard by the start of combat- be it ranged or melee dps. But as soon as the combat starts guards need to be fluid, and switched around constantly. There are fights where tanks have to guard every single member of his party at one point or another. You need to read the situation and try to anticipate who is gonna take damage in the next couple of seconds, position and possibly switch accordingly. And this applies to the second tank in the party aswell, crossguarding is a common thing when backing, and against more offensive comps with 2h tanks, people will often try to burst down tanks instead of the dps as that is often easier. The only way to stop this is for one tank to guard the other. You see your second tank being punted? That leaves one dps open, and can often mean someone is gonna throw a rotation onto the dps you are not guarding. Switching preemptively can be a good idea if there is no pressure on your dps. And of course healers occasionally need guards aswell, but guarding one constantly leaves both ranged and melee dps unable to perform their jobs.
Rip Phalanx