Recent Topics

Ads

Nerfed Buttons addon

Let's talk about... everything else
seldane

Nerfed Buttons addon

Post#1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:52 am

Nerfed Buttons addon lends a significant advantage to players, especially those of low skill, by remapping a single button to one of many different skills depending on situation.

ye olde World of Warcraft has specifically disallowed this behavior because it would make essentially every class playable with a single-button press, which goes against their design policy.

I've been doing some detailed searches on the forums. I see that discussion about this addon is randomly allowed and other times squelched, yet the addon seems to be entirely legal, despite its major impact on the game.

I'd respectfully like to hear admins thoughts on the rationale about why its functionality is allowed

Thank you!

Ads
Arteker616

Re: Nerfed Buttons addon

Post#2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:50 am

please can we ban gaming mouses with more than 2 buttons aswell, and while at it, buffhead , swift assist addon and that cheatin addon called target ring?.

adamthelc

Post#3 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 am

Dont you want players of low skill to play better? I dont see how that's a bad thing.

Dont misunderstand, I am not defending the addon or acting ignorant to what it does by comparing it to things that arent the same.

catholicism198

Post#4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 am

This game doesn't require "skill."

Nameless

Post#5 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 am

Just break addon condition setups. When addon change your attack based on the direction of the attack (being frontal, from behind or rear) is making decision making automatic and that give real advantage to players using it
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

davispeed
Game Artist

Post#6 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 am

NB gives a real advantage to whom using it thats for sure.
]

roadkillrobin

Post#7 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:56 am

Nameless wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 am Just break addon condition setups. When addon change your attack based on the direction of the attack (being frontal, from behind or rear) is making decision making automatic and that give real advantage to players using it

That would break stuff like Buffhead, Enemy aswell. They all track ability ID's.
The positional check just looks if the ability is blacked out or not. Better would be to do with those skills how Torment/AW function. Bonus if behind and then remove the condition.

peterthepan3

Post#8 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 am

catholicism198 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 am This game doesn't require "skill."
Having fought against premades like enigma and LoB, I would beg to differ: there is definitely skillful and competitive PvP to be had - but most don't seek it out.

Ads
Catweazle

Post#9 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 am

I'm not so sure NB gives as much as an advantage as people say your chains are fixed not static so unless you spend hours & hours programming the perfect macro for all scenarios its never going to be as good or reactive as a real player can be. Its going to waste taunts rather than use them to interrupt a res, use your hard hitting spike just after you get hit with an AP drain etc. All these things can be avoided by a real player fairly easily but by an addon not so much.

Glorian

Post#10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 am

Nameless wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 am Just break addon condition setups. When addon change your attack based on the direction of the attack (being frontal, from behind or rear) is making decision making automatic and that give real advantage to players using it
I think the problem is, that nerfed Buttons uses the same conditional setups like the game itself.
If you change condition "behind" into "behind2" in the game client then you have to check afterwards every part in the game code that refers to "behind". Every Ability, like everything.

A lot of potential to break a lot. ;)