Recent Topics

Ads

AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Let's talk about... everything else
Haskr

Re: AMAZED AT SOME PEOPLE

Post#11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Those are some solid points. I also thought about this for quite some time.
However, I want to add some stuff.

I think one of the most important facts is that not all of the actuall players of this game also post (or even read) here.
I would suppose the developers know that too, that the vast amount of people does not post here and just enjoys playing a game they thought long gone.
The same could be said about all the balance discussions, were we can see a small minority pushing certain balance proposals to "buff/nerf" classes (like that childish troll some posts above me with his ddzealot changes).
I have a rr62 chosen myself, never made a single proposal or anything, since first, I don't have a clue about balance, and second, I never played live for long and believe that the staff knows what they are doing, since it seems that some of them are around since the live beta? It is an alpha server after all, so not all classes can be balanced at the same time (as I get it from your post they were never balanced in the first place during live) and I trust staff that they handle it without bias. On the other hand some people act like the staff is pushing an agenda to "buff/nerf" some classes, which seems utterly ridiculous.

So for me it seems like some people can't handle the fact that nobody cares about their opinions? Or that they get banned for trolling/ being rude/agressive/whatnot?
Sure some of the staff come around rather snarky or rude, but it's their freetime and they chose to get involded in this project because they wanted to help I suppose, and if you read all the posts here day by day, maybe it also changes you a little bit (going back to the teacher thing here, because im on that path myself and if you speak with some older teachers there sure are some bitter and agressive people out there, maybe they also started out enthusiastic when they were young and got more rancourous with each year passing by).

Long story short: If someday the game should only consist of this type of forum posters then for me the game would be dead, not because Games Workshop took it down or some other unfortunate event hit the project from the outside, but just because the community turned into generation 4chan and the rest would just wander off.

Ads
kweedko

Post#12 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Haskr wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm The Flame continue.
So here some toughts for you.

- WAR community always been toxic, cause Warhammer Universe is toxic as hell it self. Like they said there is only WAR.
- If don't like how person replying to you, think maybe you done something wrong and deserve that.
- You said for yourself that you are newbie, maybe some of us have a litlle more experience in WAR(like an 7 or so years), and some have more experience even than the DEVs themselfs.
- ROR never gonna have that community that you afraid of, DEVs are watching and exteminate from time to time. :mrgreen:
- so relax you buttcheeks, not me started this flame tread, i bet devs don't like reads like this too.

Darosh
Banned

Post#13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:58 pm

You done good, fellow shitlord.
Tho, for a 10/10 your TLDR gotta be a bait and atleast a third of your initial w/e.

Furthermore, a little protip: use plenty of spoilers throughout your text to rekindle the cravings for drama - if your readers aren't asking themselves 'Wtf did I just read?' and 'Why in god's name did I continue to read it ~ read it all!?' in a not completly heartfelt, serious manner you're doing it wrong.

Telen
Suspended

Post#14 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:10 pm

kweedko wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm - WAR community always been toxic, cause Warhammer Universe is toxic as hell it self. Like they said there is only WAR.
Mate its a toy soldiers game that kids played, with Elves and Dwarves based on Tolkienesque fantasy. It about as far from a toxic thing as you could get. Youre mixing up gaming communities and warhammer communities, they might share a space here but they are very different.

Ugle

Post#15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Deadpoet wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm End of brownnosing rant
God damn disarms
inactive

M0rw47h

Post#16 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Telen wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:10 pm Mate its a toy soldiers game that kids played, with Elves and Dwarves based on Tolkienesque fantasy. It about as far from a toxic thing as you could get. Youre mixing up gaming communities and warhammer communities, they might share a space here but they are very different.
Lies, if that would be true, the best roamers would be Hobbits.

wereku

Post#17 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Deadpoet wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm I’ve been a high school teacher...

These attitudes, which often persist into adulthood and even old age, are the result of an adolescent misplaced search for identity. Sometimes, in real life or in games, you witness people getting disproportionately angry at something that only began as a normal conversation. That happens when people don’t have a developed personality and they are identified with an opinion, a sports team, a virtual character, etc.
Since when is highschool teacher equivalent to a degree in human social behaviour? Sorry but how about you don't make claims why people act a certain way based on nothing really. Just because you are passionate about a hobby doesn't mean you have a undeveloped personality neither does it mean you identify yourself as a virtual character.

Then the rest reads as typical white knighting for a reason I don't understand. People won't change and the devs are perfectly capable to defend themselfs. They are also not innocent. The envoirement created by the devs often is/was hostile in my view (*cough calling people idiots and banning over disagreements on 3rd party sites). From other non profit projects I know that this does not have to be the case. Devs there were very friendly 99% of the time when interacting with players. Bringing several benefits for example de-escalation, professionalism and overall more positiv player interaction. Or often refered to it's unfunny to insult someone if he responds friendly and reasonable.

Furthermore I believe it's perfectly fine to argue and bring critism as long as you don't insult people. No matter if dev or player.

Martok

Post#18 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:54 pm

The OP did present some valid points. As a retired public school teacher I am particularly sympathetic to his initial analogy. When you read some of what is posted on these forums combined with hearing much of the open commentary in discord it becomes clear some percentage of the RoR player base, at least emotionally, never grew past the eighth grade. I understand the current wave of entitlement mentality. I also understand there are those who find crude, vulgar, gutter-level language and references to actually be funny. I'm just not one of them.

However that dichotomy is manifest in every endeavor of life. During my last six or seven years teaching there were young graduates entering the system as new-hires, and when interacting with them I was amazed they even knew how to tie their own shoes without help and that they found people like Louis CK funny. The same dynamics are in play here. You either become part of it or you navigate around it.

I also agree with the hope Az will stick around and continue to help manage the game. I believe the changes implemented since his return have been both positive and effective. Along those lines my continued gratitude for all who keep this game alive and my opportunity to play it.

Also this:

Ugle wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:13 pmGod damn disarms
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Ads
martholomew

Post#19 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Personally, I don't know what's worse.

The angry, ranting, snarky entitlement teens who can quite literally find or create an argument out of absolutely nothing whatsoever?

Or the assumed moral highground people like the OP who thinks their opinion is more important than anybody else's on this forum....Like they are coming down out of their ivory tower home of the rest of their archangel-esque race to teach the lower life forms how to be.
Magus 40/78

Martok

Post#20 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pm

martholomew wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pmOr the assumed moral highground people like the OP who thinks their opinion is more important than anybody else's on this forum...

Where did he state his opinion was more important that anybody else's on this forum?

martholomew wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pmLike they are coming down out of their ivory tower home of the rest of their archangel-esque race to teach the lower life forms how to be.

It is called a difference of opinion. The fact one person finds incessant crude phallic sexual references (as a hypothetical example) to be funny and another does not constitutes varied personal preferences, not an automatic presumption of moral superiority. In fact, your defense is the only presumption in evidence.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...