Recent Topics

Ads

What classes should I target? Need tips.

Let's talk about... everything else
mickeye

Re: What classes should I target? Need tips.

Post#21 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm

tazdingo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:24 pm just go for the maintank first. let your enemies know you're not **** around
This made me laugh. :)

Peter got it quite right, though sometimes, squishy tanks are best targets, especially here on RoR, where tank avoidance is a bit lower than on live.
Fionne WL | Burlok > Karak Eight Peaks > Eltharion > Karak Azgal > Karak Norn

Ads
Valarion

Post#22 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Mystry wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:23 am
dansari wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:05 am Not necessarily. Normally you're going to target unguarded DPS before any healer lets you near them. Ramasee said it best: focusing targets with other DPS while being supported by necessary debuffs on the target will kill most things, including a stagger on a healer from zeal/RP/WE/WH and a punt from a tank
Strongly disagree. Healing output has gotten so ridiculous that you'll need an average of 3 or 4 players to outpace one healers output. More if the DPS has a brain and uses one of their defensive CDs, or movement abilities to escape, or *gasp* detaunts. I have always experienced more success by getting people to pile on the healer and spam him with interrupts and KDs than waste their time hitting a choppa or marauder. Doing so denies the healer his ability to output any healing whatsoever which makes the incidental aoe and chip damage meaningful since it isn't immediately healed.
You are both correct and raise good points. You traditionally kill the unguarded/overextended dps ON THE WAY to killing the healer. Focusing on the healer as soon as possible also allows you to place a heal debuff on the in and outgoing heals as well.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

kkprfx

Post#23 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Valarion wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 pm
Mystry wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:23 am
dansari wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:05 am Not necessarily. Normally you're going to target unguarded DPS before any healer lets you near them. Ramasee said it best: focusing targets with other DPS while being supported by necessary debuffs on the target will kill most things, including a stagger on a healer from zeal/RP/WE/WH and a punt from a tank
Strongly disagree. Healing output has gotten so ridiculous that you'll need an average of 3 or 4 players to outpace one healers output. More if the DPS has a brain and uses one of their defensive CDs, or movement abilities to escape, or *gasp* detaunts. I have always experienced more success by getting people to pile on the healer and spam him with interrupts and KDs than waste their time hitting a choppa or marauder. Doing so denies the healer his ability to output any healing whatsoever which makes the incidental aoe and chip damage meaningful since it isn't immediately healed.
You are both correct and raise good points. You traditionally kill the unguarded/overextended dps ON THE WAY to killing the healer. Focusing on the healer as soon as possible also allows you to place a heal debuff on the in and outgoing heals as well.
yes, keep spamming ravage on a WP, surely you will be such a boon to your team
Gabber

Darosh
Banned

Post#24 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:34 pm

DPS:
Golden rule: Do not tunnelvision. Pick squishies, if squishy happens to be a tank prioritize it if the situation allows it (-1 tank = -1 guard = pure gold). Work your way through opposition, don't rush in mindlessly for the git in the corner of the map; uptime = pressure (you of course want to pay attention to your group and your general surroundings - pull out if the situation demands it, i.e. if, for example, your guardbot has to guardswap to cover for burst or simply stabilize, don't make him choose between you and a healer, tank or simply himself, you'll be sacrificed).

Tank:
Golden rule: Snare whatever is creeping towards your backline or away from your dpsbots. Else: Do usual CC [snare, kd, punts - offensively and defensively]/buff/guardswap routine and assist your dpsbot (by extension your group in general - don't tunnelvision here either; it's like playing healer, you don't have to 24/7 top people off, you have to keep them alive... or sacrifice them for the greater good if necessary).

Healer:
Golden rule: Know where the pewpew comes from before it hits you, use snares and CC accordingly. Else: Don't mindlessly AP starve yourself overhealing/topping off people 24/7 - keep them alive, buffer for telegraphed burst; brace for hardswaps. Don't tunnelvision.

dansari

Post#25 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 am

adamthelc wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:12 pm
If no one is dying quickly or there is someone on the other team wrecking you with heals or dps, you could swap to them if putting lots of pressure on them will significantly impact their performance.
This brings up a good point if you're a healer/tank main and reading this wanting to learn. If you're in a 6v6 environment you should almost always be debuffing the most highly performing enemies. AP drain the Choppa/WE, stagger the Warrior Priest mid fury regen and you may just swing a fight.
<Salt Factory>

Valarion

Post#26 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 am

Wdova wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 am I can give You only my opinion.

As a tank You attack the same target as the DPS class You guarding.

As a mdps You attack the most squishy target first. Light armor rdps, unguarded slayer/choppa, light armor healers. Depends on which one has guard or detaunt You.

I have no rdps atm, but I was ALWAYS harrasing enemy backline RDPS first than healers to force them backup a a little and not unleash theyr full force on our frontline/mdps(Pug scenario) or same target as the main damage dealer(premade scenario).
Target selection doesnt change all that much when you are rolling rdps. As rdps, you should be assisting the main assist, which is most often mdps.

There are exceptions to everything thing of course.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

anarchypark

Post#27 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:18 am

there are basic 2 stances.
offence and defence.
it's about positioning and moving.
change targets and positions according to stance.
and change stance according to situation.

Tank.
Offense : front line. be the first target. eat dmg and cc.
target melees, after short brawl, push to back line or stay there or change to defense.
assist with mdps each other.
no assist bot in case of tunnel vision.
even veterans suffer it. you have to look after each other.
Defense : rear guard. find focused target and stick guard. target most dangerous dps and put every cc and debuffs.

if your guardee is good, you do both simultaneously.

Mdps.
Offense : stay 1 step behind your guard. after short jabs, push back line or stay melee.
change target if it gets guard and heal. repeat this and enemy will do mistakes.
Defense : disengage. don't show back. detaunt and rdy to re-charge. target something on your back line.
similar with tank.

Rdps.
Offense : healer or rdps. after few shots, assist mdps.
Defense : kite and keep assisting.
don't target tank.
if tanks are only targets in range,
move around to find others.

Healer.
Offense : assist. cc healers or rdps.
Defense : most dangerous dps. detaunt and kite.

look around and keep changing stance, positions and targets.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

roadkillrobin

Post#28 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:38 am

Anything that goes down easily.
Everything is a threat aslong as dps lives so primary kills should be dps but sometimes you need get tanks and healers out of the way first. It's actually rather complicated.

Ads
bichka

Post#29 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 am

your group have huge dps or at least incoming healdebuf(s) - kill anything on sight except deftard tanks. Some tanks here is droping much faster than healers. FO users probably.

if you haven't healdebuf or huge dps - well, most of your chances here is to kill healer first if he is enough bad.

Rynocerous

Post#30 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:25 pm

In SC pre-made and in organized wb play you target whoever the main assist is targeting.

Period, no exceptions except for tanks to snare/taunt/punt.

If the MA isn't targeting the proper targets in your opinion then you are probably wrong :D

Target selection is something everyone disagrees on. If you roll with people who properly use heal debuff and other abilities, and you assist the main assist, you will burn through things quickly. If you don't focus, you hurt your team.

In pug warzergblobs, it depends on your role. I often find myself doing my own targeting since the MA will occasionally target the most asinine crap (Volgo ffs is not going down to a handful of pug loldps) and so I hunt for light armored types, lowbies or simply put pressure on healers.

Magus CAN be a threat to pugs who don't have experienced healers and who panic when you drop Pand, Mist, and firestorm when there's also a trio of choppas going wild and a sorc bombing them. The dps isn't much , but it just makes everything that much harder to manage.

In Pug SC? LOL. You deserve everything you get. You might well just burn down the mDPS since no one bothers coordinating. So much AoE flying it doesn't even matter and of course half the team is beating on the front-line tank while he's being cross guarded and healed by two healers.
DESTRO Aindorex - Impeccible
A couple of lowbie Order toons