Recent Topics

Ads

Your ideas to add value into leveling

Let's talk about... everything else
Acidic

Re: Your ideas to add value into leveling

Post#11 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 am

From my reading of the thread any suggestions should be to those folk interested in PVE and not improving the viability of gear and such for helping PVP

With the current change to exp in local area there is a good way to chose the rate of exp as you can take the long road and explore non local zones or your own zone for fast track. So exp seems to be covered in the existing framework.
For me this leaves only story emmertion and dungeons to be improved.

We have seen new dungeons appearing and have to respect the effort and time they take so probably no point pushing dungeon content other than say it’s appreciated (I personally don’t pve much so won’t say more on dungeons)

Story immersion is what I feel is missing a bit in the quest lines, Poisble this is due to my pvp focus and current leveling meta is own zone quest mobs .

How could we improve questing and immersion without having to put on the RP hat, well best I can think of is kind of some larger than life (scaled up size wise) mobs and packs of random raiders instead of only stationary mobs.
This is not directly an in game benefit but certainly a game fun level which I see as value

Ads
lefze
Suspended

Post#12 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 am

XP levels being a thing in the first place locks out the option of making pve content valuable. Progression starts at r40 rr41, anything before that is just bad foreplay. Pve could serve as meaningful progression between rr0 and rr41 by eliminating career ranks and making pve instead give usable gear, but nah. For some reason it still has to act like a barrier to entry. Gives you the choice between going into rvr naked, or doing a fair chunk of pve to get some solid gear to start out with. Also reduces the impact of the whole r40 rr13 issue.
Rip Phalanx

Rockalypse
Former Staff

Post#13 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

marisco wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 am Generally speaking when I'm leveling I fully max the influence of the chapter before moving on the next one. You can blame it on my OCD. Need to see those bars full, man. :lol:
Oh, I feel you here. Was able to complete t1 blighted island pvp inf with same kill that gave me 16 lvl-up. Intense, man.

Telen
Suspended

Post#14 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Yes its a pvp game and we all mostly pvp but... Theres a ton of content just not used and imo Warhammers world was the games defining charm.
Make the world dynamic. Only dynamic event in War was Colossus like Dragons in GW2. Dragons were even better as they were on timer you could predict.
PQs should have different states. Only one should be in preparation stage per race tier at a time. Start with Easy PQ 5 mins not complete then it fails. Moves to next chapter easy PQ. Only when preparation stage is met does PQ start. Once done start medium then hard.
PQs should represent the funneling of players through the world as they 'grind' level. Quests should be something you do as you wait for the funnel to reach you, they should not give much xp compared to PQ completion as you want to push people onto the leveling funnel. Like a bus that came around every 20 - 30 mins you can get on and off.
Also you need passed states in PQs that remain in place like GW2 did with special services/dyes/pockets/pets whatever.
This is really what original war was trying to achieve. To have people level that way and then get to pvp. Then back to the PQ bus when you were about to chicken out.

You would need to change a few other things. Like npc kills that arent part of an active pq not rewarding any xp only some xp from local quests as you wait. So people dont just go grind on one spot for hours.
Last edited by Telen on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mystry
Suspended

Post#15 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Nidwin wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:00 am No. If you want renown you get your toon into the lakes or you queue up for scenarios.
May be we should also give renown for crafting, AFK at maiboxes or whine about xrealmers on the globals?
The entire thrust of the idea is that if you happen to play at a time when there AREN'T any scenarios or rvr lakes going on, you should still be able to level via quests and not be completely gimped at 40.
And whining about xrealmers on global is always a worthy activity.
Nidwin wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:00 am No, you clearly don't if that's not what you wanted in the first place. Once level 16 your toon gets bolstered to level 48 in T2+ lakes. Hello there, freaking level 48. The only toons I would consider PL from 16 to 20 are healers for the group heals, and even then mostly a DoK as shaman and zealot are actually not that bad single target wise.
Bolster doesn't have **** on a proper set of gear. And this isn't about powerleveling.
Nidwin wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:00 am Yeah, let's all be 40Rr80 at character creation, mind you, with all equipment free to pick up in IC/Altdorf. It's goint to be fun, trust me.
Never said anything about making equipment free. In fact, I think I very explicitly said to gate things solely behind emblems and medallions.

Overall, you have not presented a single counter-argument beyond simply being contrarian for the sake of it.

Telen
Suspended

Post#16 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

I don't agree with renown from leveling career rank. Then again I disagree with RR being x2 CR. Renown should come from rvr but making it so leveling CR is a punishment is also bad design. The best case should be to get some levels ahead then go into rvr. Cap all renown gear to the base renown of what that tier was. So you can wear all renown gear once you hit the appropriate level from leveling. That way you dont punish people grinding up a little before going into rvr.

zak68

Post#17 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:45 pm

renown should still be awarded only from rvr feats.
only when population is under a given level, further increase renown gains from ... (everything else than bo ticks) for people with an high level/ration if and only if they're in a group; such gain should be further increased when in a warband (if members number is > 6); the more, the merrier.
to avoid high dps/survavibility classes to join a wb and then go wandering around fighting their personal war, such gain should be applied only when inside a given range from their wb leader.
mah!

Tesq

Post#18 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:47 pm

That telen proposal regarding pq Is interestikg, it remember me of something from gw2.
Tough i see it problematic regarding pve set farm.
Would be interesting to implement but would also need a correction with how the pve sets from pq are given, maybe there should always be a gold bag at least even in easy pq at that point if that would had be implement.
Certain make pq work as rvr and have only few active at a given time is an interesting idea.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Post#19 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Telen wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 pm Yes its a pvp game and we all mostly pvp but... Theres a ton of content just not used and imo Warhammers world was the games defining charm.
Make the world dynamic. Only dynamic event in War was Colossus like Dragons in GW2. Dragons were even better as they were on timer you could predict.
PQs should have different states. Only one should be in preparation stage per race tier at a time. Start with Easy PQ 5 mins not complete then it fails. Moves to next chapter easy PQ. Only when preparation stage is met does PQ start. Once done start medium then hard.
PQs should represent the funneling of players through the world as they 'grind' level. Quests should be something you do as you wait for the funnel to reach you, they should not give much xp compared to PQ completion as you want to push people onto the leveling funnel. Like a bus that came around every 20 - 30 mins you can get on and off.
Also you need passed states in PQs that remain in place like GW2 did with special services/dyes/pockets/pets whatever.
This is really what original war was trying to achieve. To have people level that way and then get to pvp. Then back to the PQ bus when you were about to chicken out.

You would need to change a few other things. Like npc kills that arent part of an active pq not rewarding any xp only some xp from local quests as you wait. So people dont just go grind on one spot for hours.

I heard there are some openings in DB team, you should apply.

Aurandilaz

Post#20 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Some observations, lvling to 40 isn't particularly "hard", it's just tiresome. And as said above, real end game progression starts at 40-41. Before that you are just "starting".
Does the starting phase need to be as long as it is? Maybe,maybe not. Developer choices regarding how much players either supposed to spend time leveling between 0 and 40 and more choices regarding how long they are supposed to spend time before entering the "end game".
How could this made easier for newbies?
Assuming we have total newbies who haven't played before and are not just grinding alt number 17 to 40 and beyond.
Easier accessible lowbie gear. Questlines that would be awesome in their rewards, not something you just take, grind mobs fast, then move to next chapter and next kill quests as you grind towards 40.
There already exist various low rank sets, some achieved through one or other quest, some through PQs. The usual picks achieved through RvR/scs.
Obviously grinding rvr and scs is the preferred choice for many, as you get renown, which you really need to have lot before entering T4 where you are just another brick in the meatwall.

But what if, we allow the said lowbies the chance to earn some tiny bits of renown by doing those quests that give them alternative lowbie sets?
To reach rr40, you need about 720k renown in total.
Would it be too much, if a lowbie could earn maybe 5-10k renown from and there, doing quests that cannot be repeated, to earn solid gear suitable for low rank playing?
Say, implement quests or modify existing ones, for Hunters, Trackers, Havoc, Mayhem, Stalker gears, and the T2 and T3 epic quests, where you have quests for completing gaining said gear piece which might reward you between 5-10k renown, which might in total add somewhere up to 200-300k renown earned which would make it almost twice as easy to get from 0 to 40 assuming you know to do those quests. (total of 309k needed for rr30)
Would farming scs or keep be faster renown? Probably yes. But this would make the early starting pains easier for possible newbies, who would then be recommended to complete various T2 T3 quests to earn solid gear, and advance their renown bar a bit as well.

Would some higher ranked players maybe complete random lowbie quests to get renown, yeah maybe. But the amounts would be something you can easily earn more with good time spending in T4 scs or orvr.

Maybe it makes game too easy, or maybe it helps newbies. Don't know. I know to grind myself fast to 40 and then leech scs for renown, thats currently best approach. Maybe approaches will be different in future assuming some quests possible being worth their renown plus gear rewards?