Recent Topics

Ads

Basic Warband Guide - Warbandum Lutzarium

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

madrocks

Basic Warband Guide - Warbandum Lutzarium

Post#1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 am

Introduction

There is an influx of new player on the server lately and the overall performance of the realm demands a basic guide of how to warband in this game.

This guide is written from a warband leadership's perspective. I lead Warbands for quite some time now and I am good at it. I work with what ever classes I find in the lakes and it usually turns into great fights. It is also the only reason I play this game for.
If you find the patience and read through this guide you will have a basic overview how to behave in the orvr.

1. How to prepare to play RoR - Realm vs. Realm in a Warband effectively

First things first!
You need to set-up a few things. It takes time but it’s worth it. You won’t ever want to go back afterwards.

• - Use the Viny UI provided with the downloaded file of the game. Check out the forum to keep it up to date. It is a collection of all the addons you need. Follow the step by step guide to modify the addons. There is plenty of youtube tutorials.
    Here is the addon forum link. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6371&hilit=viny+ui

- Make yourself comfortable with the addons and set everything up as you like it. Ask for help in the advice channel if youtube and google doesn't cut it.

- Create a PVP dedicated Chat window and filter out everything but the the Zone 1, Zone 2, Tier 4, Warband, Party and Tell chats.|
    Put that PVP chat somewhere you can easy read while fighting. Some warband go with discord, others with chat. In any case, read the chat.
    This is an oldschool game, if you don't read the chat you are not going to be effective.

- Set up the minimap so you keep track of the warband movements. This is very important. You need to stay with the warband and always know where it is.

- Open your Keybinding menu and keybind the "'Assist Main Assist" on a key that you can spam while fighting.

- Get yourself potions: armor potions, main stat potions, crafted and PVP/PVE vendor heal potions. This heal potions do not share the same cooldown, you can use 2 direct heal potions and the absorb shield potions in one go and increase your surviveability.
    Endgame stat improving potions hold 60 minutes and do not decay after death. It's a MUST have.

- Invest in talismans for your gear, even if you are below 40. Talismans add on to your bolster. Gear without talismans result in a kick from serious warbands.

- Invest your Renown Rank points in defensive stats first, then offensive. You chances to be critically hit should 0 and your dodge/disrupt skill be high.
    A dead DD or Healer is useless.

- Get urself DISCORD, it is the communication tool right now, I am certain you are aware.

2. How to act as a member in a Realm vs. Realm Warband effectively

Chose private and organazied warbands before the public bad or not leaded ones. Good Warband leaders elaborate class compositions and ask you to contact them via private message, they also demand discipline, attention and situational awareness. Some use voice communication others use chat macros. Both is effective. Your attention span skill and discipline is the key to success for the warband, especially fighting overwhelming numbers or nasty premade teams. If you don't perform then don't do pvp. It is ok if you are new, nobody will judge you for that and the community is very helpful but after a while you should realize that warband play is demanding and that a certain level of performance is necessary to have succes in the RvR campaign.

• - Follow the leader. Use the Marker option of the Enemy addon. The warband leader is the center of your warband, in any situation. Don't lose him and assist him!

- Read chat! Read it, all the time. If you don’t read it you become a weak link in the chain, risking the success of the entire Warband or a tactical move.
    Splitseccond decisions and timing are key to success in orvr, combined with a good warband composition.

- Do what your Warband leader ask you to do. It has a reason when he tells you things to do. Don't question him and don't start a mutiny. You will most likely be kicked.

- Call out Incoming opponents always with a rough number and direction if possible. (15+ INC N FLANK, as example)

- Don’t quit when the Warband wipes, **** happens. A good warband leader will apologize or make you partially responsible for the wipe. RvR is a team effort.

- Don’t lemming, ergo aimlessly follow anything that moves. Just follow your warband leader.
    Understand that if you move, others will move too. A psychological chain reaction, a natural reflex that you have to overcome, learn to ignore also not to trigger other players.

- Never chase single targets, 1vs1 or small scale premade groups unless told so by the warband leader. Small scale premades can be very effective vs AoE specialized warbands. They are masters of kiting and will expose a warbands flank with ease.

- Never chase towards the opposing war camp or keep. You will end up dead with a counterattack steamrolling your Warband. Always.

- Check your Buffs, Potions, Guard regularly.

- Ask for buffs/guard. Bully your tanks as a dps to follow you, it's their job. If they refuse you tell the warband leader and measures will be taken.

- Play the role of your class. Warband play is not a one-button Meta. It might be a 3-button one in certain cases but you better be using your classes dirty tricks.

- Position yourself properly, stay with the leader and do what he/she tells you to do. Never overextend and don't slowpoke behind. ORvR is all about positioning, timing and reaction to enemy movements.

- In a warband, there are 4 groups. The individual groups must stay together and in an optimal case play indipendently surrounding the enenmy. Buffs/Auras work in certain distances, study those distances and respect them, always.

- Do not aimlessly aoe-punt/push/kick the enemy Warbands ever! Don’t do it. Free immunity is bad. Single punts, Silence, Knockdown and Snare are much more effective and lead to succes. Even in large scale.

- If the Warband leader asks you to hide for an ambush, do it. Don’t spoil the trap, don’t stand on the edge of a hill or peek around the corner.

- Situational awareness. Look around yourself. Don’t tunnel-vision. Spot the good enemy players, memorize them, mark them and kill them! Good players must be taken out.

- Don’t go afk without telling the Warband leader. And don't just leave without a word. A simple goodbye is much apreciated.
    Real life goes first of course, without any questions.

3. Summary

See this as the “13 rules of Warbanding”.
  • 1. Follow the Warband leader.
    2. Use your potions.
    3. Read the chat.
    4. Use Guard as a tank.
    5. Assist the Main Assist.
    6. Use your Add-ons.
    7. Do not give free immunity with AOE CC reklessly.
    8. Call Inc. with a size and direction.
    9. Never take the bait by small scale premades.
    10. Do not chase towards an enemy spawn point.
    11. Do not cross-realm towards the overpopulated side. This is called win team joining and ruins the game.
    12. Chose Premade warbands before public ones.
    13. Don't be a snowflake.

That's it for now.
If you feel like a constructive critique or force your opinion on me, just send me a PM.

I keep the right to edit my post in the future as I see fit. You will see it in this color.
Trolls and haters will be ignored, ganked and public shamed. You don’t belong in here and you never did.
Last edited by madrocks on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 am, edited 25 times in total.

Ads
madrocks

Re: Warbandum Lutzarium / Warband guide

Post#2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am

Assuming your attention span is not yet on an overdrive and your brain overheating, there is some extra input from some honorful ex The Art of War member.

We have stuff like this in our Discord archives..

_____

Lunarr must have been frustrated with the way some people actually show up in cities so he dropped a little input for the new guys:

So you wanna be helpful in cities? Here's a few things you should know:

1. You should have the following consumables:
  • **Officer Heal potion:** Officer's Elixir of Rejuvenation
    **Officer AP potion:** Officer's Alacritious Elixir
    **Heal potion: **Draught of Recovery OR Potent Draught Of Recovery
    **Absorb potion: **Lasting Aversion Potion
    **Armor potion: **Lasting Stanchion Unguent
    **Mainstat Potion: **Various, depends on class needs.
Heal Potions (Crafted AND bought) plus the absorb potion can be used together! Potentially helping your healers for 8000hp!

Wait.. What..? I need all of that?! Yes, you can add blast potions in there aswell if you really wanna be a superstar!

2. You should have the following addons: You should be FAMILIAR with these add-ons on a basic level, and be aware of how to configure the basics

3. You should know your class. Ask yourself these questions, if they're a no or you don't know, you should ask a loved one you trust
  • - What is a good build for my character?
    - What skills should I be using often?
    - Where should I stand when the fighting starts?
    - Where should I be if I'm introuble? What skills should I use to help myself?
    - What should I be doing if I can't [TANK/DPS/HEAL]?
    - What is my ULTRA BIG DAMAGE DPS ROTATION?!

4. Your should possess the following traits
  • - A desire to get better at your class and teamplay
    - A willingness to listen to your leader and constructive critism
    - An ability to win with grace
    - An ability to lose with dignity, and to understand and address the reasons for the loss
    - An understanding that the numbers on the scoreboard don't matter, and the moment you focus on that, you will lose your desire to play as a team, for those numbers are solo numbers.
______

Now there is more to come. Videos of a member that has been playing this game for quite a while.
Larkoza, must be lost in space, however his videos show in a very simple way how to set up things on your UI that are quite mandatory if you wanna be useful in this game and carry your warbands as a healer.
I suggest you check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhzpbUiGhUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5yjIu1NPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJfQtzDMHs
Last edited by madrocks on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Exot

Post#3 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 am

It is always a pleasure to fight against ur warbands! Up for organized PUG warbands! Up for players who follow and listen/read !

See you on fields!
KotBS: Erihon
Chosen: Nohire
Leader of [Seventh Legion] in RoR
Discord: [Link]
Member of [VII]

Gangan

Post#4 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:26 am

Great idea to start a Guide, to bad most pugs will never read this 😅

Anyway I'm looking forward to next parts, as I know you're effective and often successful leading PUG-WBs 😁
Pächter des Wahnsinns
Gangan - SH 50+ Blumnmoscha - BO 63
Scophis - Zealot 61 Drengur - WP 64
Iznogoud - Sham 40+ Bixo - Engie 50+
Apogemoth - Magus 40+
originating from Drakenwald

Delior

Post#5 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Must read for pugs 100%

Koradrell

Post#6 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm

This should already be pinned

Turki

Post#7 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 am

Delior wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Must read for pugs 100%
i agree and i 2nd that it get pinned

Anjanolian
Legacy RR80

Post#8 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:43 am

We need similar one for PuG WB Leaders...
...Bride of Khaine...

Ads
madrocks

Post#9 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Bumping this for the sake of the PUGs, PUG life matter. People need to constantly improve.

madrocks

Post#10 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 am

Bump.. new players want advice.