Recent Topics

Ads

Organized wbs and gamedirection

Let's talk about... everything else
dansari

Re: Organized wbs and gamedirection

Post#31 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm

wonshot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:32 pm Our guild had planned Warband raid tonight at 20:00 CET. Due to fort, we had to cancel because too much of raid time was being "wasted" on RvR-hungry players sitting in Altdorf unable to RvR.

I hear PnP, and now TUP being in the same boat.
Yeah but you know you can just log off and not play :lol:
<Salt Factory>

Ads
Tesq

Post#32 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Dumb imo ...you wanna play test zerg sich? Then go full banana...like there is no tomorrow

Open fortress ! and you'll see....at least ppl not gona linger in city doing nothing ah and btw

-->Sc dont pop so ppl leave when is not inside fort.

zulnam

Post#33 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for opening the dwarf/orc zones today. I honestly couldn’t stomach another Praag after yesterday.

Did you manage to figure out the cause of the lag spikes?
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

TenTonHammer

Post#34 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:14 pm

dansari wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Yeah but you know you can just log off and not play :lol:
yes amazing, just tell people to "stop playing" 4Head

im sure it will do wonders for what little organized play is lefton the server and the playerbase as a whole

Tom

Post#35 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:31 pm

This current state, temporary or not, cannot be good for the population.
This afternoon I logged on my shaman as heal spec, downed the two mandatory potions and headed out into the one open zone... Reikland. Walked past a ram parked by our warcamp bridge and took part in a tiny skirmish near a flag. At that point, the zone locked. Literally 4mins into my gameplay people were off to the fortress and my gobbo was banished to walk about IC hoping for a sc pop that didnt happen. Even my over-easily self entertained gobbo was so distraught that after another 20mins of potions had ran out, all I could do was log out :(

Im not suggesting the following with joy but If this is how it will be for a while, maybe you can display on the website which zone (or if fortress) is currently active, next to the online pop. Because if it is fortress or close to fortress that is active, what is the point to log on and maybe respec or look to group in the first place?

Hargrim
Developer

Post#36 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 pm

I'm sure you can waste that whole 60 seconds to log in game and use SoR addon to check current state of campaign without team putting hours of work to make a display of campaign status on the main page.

Tom

Post#37 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Hargrim wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 pm I'm sure you can waste that whole 60 seconds to log in game and use SoR addon to check current state of campaign without team putting hours of work to make a display of campaign status on the main page.
Well, 60 secs x 1000+ players is suddenly a lot of time, but Im the first to admit my complete lack of programming - I made an uneducated presumption that it might be a simple thing to link the zone name.

Tesq

Post#38 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Hargrim wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 pm I'm sure you can waste that whole 60 seconds to log in game and use SoR addon to check current state of campaign without team putting hours of work to make a display of campaign status on the main page.
Not really a good pont when someone wanna play after dine and costantly have to deal with the fortress barrier...its time to play go to waste and goma leave the game because he cant costantly play.

Ads
Secrets
Former Staff

Post#39 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 am

Just a heads up, we did get a lot of useful info as a result of the single pairing. I appreciate you guys being patient with us, and we hope you actually notice results from us being able to profile things..

Some technical mumbo jumbo below...

There was an issue with us encrypting packets in the way the game client expects them - the method was slow, and we've put in a fix for improving the speed of that function by converting it to another programming language and importing that function.

We additionally were processing 'expired' items *EVERY* server frame. This function is really expensive - there are over a thousand player slots in the game client that can contain data, and we were looping over all of them every 50 milliseconds, per player.

Additionally, NPCs would update their 'waypoints' too frequently - every frame, resulting in server strain from re-calculating waypoints every 50ms. We changed this logic to be throttled instead of processing it every frame.

You should see significantly less lag issues under heavy load and even in day to day situations. I personally zoned/changed regions a lot faster, loaded in to character select a lot faster, and loaded in from character select much faster.

zulnam

Post#40 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 am

Secrets wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 am Just a heads up, we did get a lot of useful info as a result of the single pairing. I appreciate you guys being patient with us, and we hope you actually notice results from us being able to profile things..

Some technical mumbo jumbo below...

There was an issue with us encrypting packets in the way the game client expects them - the method was slow, and we've put in a fix for improving the speed of that function by converting it to another programming language and importing that function.

We additionally were processing 'expired' items *EVERY* server frame. This function is really expensive - there are over a thousand player slots in the game client that can contain data, and we were looping over all of them every 50 milliseconds, per player.

Additionally, NPCs would update their 'waypoints' too frequently - every frame, resulting in server strain from re-calculating waypoints every 50ms. We changed this logic to be throttled instead of processing it every frame.

You should see significantly less lag issues under heavy load and even in day to day situations. I personally zoned/changed regions a lot faster, loaded in to character select a lot faster, and loaded in from character select much faster.
That is great news indeed! Good to hear things went well.

Unfortunately people failed to understand it was temporary. I suggest making homepage announcements more often, especially for situations like this. You and the team did try your best to explain over forums, however.

Great work overall, devs.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG