Recent Topics

Ads

low levels get shaft

Let's talk about... everything else
adamthelc

Re: low levels get shaft

Post#81 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 pm

marquisxxx wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm Since we are (or were at least) discussing the disparities between low and high level characters in PvP, I'd like to mention that I think that bolstered characters should be allowed to use potions based on their bolstered level. We're not talking about gear here, just consumables. Being potion restricted by true level widens the stat gap, and the heal difference gives a significant advantage to the higher level. If the purpose of bolstering is to attempt to even the playing field, potions should be usable based on the bolstered level too.
They have done a lot to prevent people from taking bolstered buffs into lower level PvE areas to trivializing some leveling content. Reason suggests they would have to do the same with stat potions if they made this happen. So it would be really annoying when you lose your bolster for a second and lose that stat potion.

Healing pots on the other hand could work well. Someone else might see an argument for it being a bad idea, I dont. But it's also kind of a minor thing.

Ads
marquisxxx

Post#82 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't considered all these things. It's not a big deal. It's just not a good feeling watching a DOT slowly kill you because your level was too low to be able to do anything about it.

Sulorie

Post#83 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm

marquisxxx wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:05 pm Thanks for the replies, I hadn't considered all these things. It's not a big deal. It's just not a good feeling watching a DOT slowly kill you because your level was too low to be able to do anything about it.
In such a case a healer may help. :) For the most part, crafted heal or absorb potions help as well. To survive solo, you need those, especially, when you can't heal yourself.
Dying is no option.

Hargrim
Developer

Post#84 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:41 pm

BeautfulToad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm Was it? Because I spent a couple days in a back and forth with a developer who seemed to argue there was no evidence T4 SCs were perceived as problematic on lower levels, unless x suddenly means y.

What?

Aziano

Post#85 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Sulorie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm
BurbsToo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 pm Lol. I tried to start a thread on this topic (or just helping noobs in general) and it was locked immediately by some antisocial idiot.
Because it was a trash suggestion. You didn't help them, you just let them skip progression.

The lack of r48 bolster after rank 30 and ways to smooth the power curve were already discussed and therefore no suggestions in that direction are required.
Perhaps the suggestion wasn't a viable solution, but that does not mean there isn't a problem. To focus on disagreement of the solution alone misses the whole point of the problem.

Sulorie, I noticed you said "ways to smooth the power curve were already discussed and therefore no suggestions in that direction are required". Is that dismissive or suggestive of a solution in the works? Because I haven't had the impression there is a solution in the works.

I tried to post about it as well, simply my perspective of the problem as a newer player, I obviously stayed away from the originally proposed suggestion and focused solely on the problem from a new player perspective, not only my perspective, but other friends that quit due to it as well. I think sometimes the veterans become desensitized and oblivious to the new player experience and was tossing in my opinion of my new player perspective.

All I got was their disdain for the original "suggestion" thrown back at me and a locked thread, total disregard for the actual problem from a new players perspective or anything remotely concerned with new player retention. He seems to think there is no problem, but then it's his game, he can do what he wants. But like anything, not without consequences. Who knows how many potential players are lost to the progression, and content problems, I was only really addressing one of those, since that seemed to be the biggest motivating factor for my friends quitting and was only trying to raise awareness.

True, I never played WAR, but I'm not new to mmo's, having played many mmo's over the years since the early 90's and don't mind a grind to a degree, and there isn't a huge problem, but just enough of one that RoR, imo will certainly be perceived as having some issues by new players still figuring out the progression and playstyle. Or is this only for those who played War previously and are here for the nostalgia more than anything else?

I understand the game is pretty much all endgame CR40/RR40+, but people have to get there first, and there are a few issues along the way, and I roll my eyes when people say you can PVE, as PVE seems to hurt more than it helps while your are still leveling, due to the CR/RR relationship.

Anyway, this is the last I'll have to say about it, it is what it is apparently.

I hope this doesn't come across too negative, as I respect the old timers, and can appreciate the work the devs put into this private server, and I enjoy mmo pvp and in general the playstyle, or else I wouldn't still be here. I've got a 40 now and have 5 or 6 others in the mid 20's to 30's, slowly working my way up, but my time is limited these days, NA is pretty dead in the evenings, and my motivation is waning, so we'll see...
Last edited by Aziano on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeautfulToad

Post#86 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 am

Aziano wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 pm I hope this doesn't come across too negative, as I respect the old timers, and can appreciate the work the devs put into this private server, and I enjoy mmo pvp and in general the playstyle, or else I wouldn't still be here. I've got a 40 now and have 5 or 6 others in the mid 20's to 30's, slowly working my way up, but my time is limited these days, NA is pretty dead in the evenings, and my motivation is waning, so we'll see...
I would say that some issues with SCs aside (I think more T4 pug SCs or some balance changes might work), the RvR is so good.

Seiges are pretty much unparallelled in any mmo I have played. They are really fun. I was certain some change was made recently and we now get instances where destruction and order are pushing different zones so NA dont get proper seiges.

City seiges should be amazing, and I would prefer dev time on making them work.

GoreFist

Post#87 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 am

BeautfulToad wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:15 am
Hargrim wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 am Ah, so as always this is a case of 'more for less'. Good that you cleared this.
They would be paid exactly the same as everyone else playing in the same SC as they are. If you dont think they should be, move them to a different tier.

I don't agree with anything along the lines of increasing lower lvls power in SC's to equal better geared characters, the bolster works great.I do agree with this post actually with rewarding the better medals for 31+ SC's because of the higher competition, I mean regardless of Rank if I down a higher lvl RR toon in RVR I'm rewarded with the Medal equal to that rank... so why would the higher lvl of competition for SC's be rewarded with bad emblems. I don't see how this could hurt anything but help prepare for T4 once you ding 40/xx.
Always had you on farm :lol:
Infidelous/WH RR7x
Lordcorruptous/Chosen RR6x
Dadakaboy/Choppa RR5x
Drsicko/Slayer RR5x
Whiplash/Mara RR5x
Freedumb/Kotbs RR5x
Whiteclaw/WL RR5x

Sahngar

Post#88 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Each time I see one of these discussions I really do have to wonder.
It seriously does not take long to get a 40/40 character, and I say that with plenty of experience in other MMO's.40/40 makes you more than competitive, and if you're playing a healer you don't even need to be that high in order to contribute.
There has been a conscious effort by the RoR devs to shave off the power curve of the equipment here compared to live. You don't need anything close to BiS gear to be competitive because the incremental upgrades are so small.If you can't make it to 40/40 you were never going to stick around anyway.

Ads
BeautfulToad

Post#89 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Sahngar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm Each time I see one of these discussions I really do have to wonder.
It seriously does not take long to get a 40/40 character
Not saying it is right or wrong, but getting enough XP to go from 31-39 probably takes a significant number of hours of gameplay in PvE zones, and can be very long if you go something that cannot easily solo most it. I don't think the game is designed you can easily find a group to level up faster, but it is more fun with other players.

Sahngar

Post#90 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:00 am

BeautfulToad wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 pm Not saying it is right or wrong, but getting enough XP to go from 31-39 probably takes a significant number of hours of gameplay in PvE zones, and can be very long if you go something that cannot easily solo most it. I don't think the game is designed you can easily find a group to level up faster, but it is more fun with other players.
Ask in general, or lfg, to form a ruin party.

That way you're grinding out pqs for xp and working towards a decent entry-level set for rvr. It's not going to crush high-end gear, but its an ok first step on the ladder and as far as I know doesn't have any rr requirements.