Recent Topics

Ads

[Beginner's Question] All-sufficient and self-reliant?

Let's talk about... everything else
methority

[Beginner's Question] All-sufficient and self-reliant?

Post#1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Hello world.
I'm playing for a month by now and tried a few things:
Witch Elf (9r11rr - "Damn, I'm not even...")
Squig Herder (14r19rr - "It was funny shootin in Nordland early levels, but now freck those WL's goddamit the last one killed three of us in a row...! I'm not even..")
Magus (11r16rr) - "While I'm getting my fabulous power stacks on and off, the action moves to another end of rvr map and then BAM all of a sudden I die by a mdps overrun"
Shaman (19r29rr) - "Hey I feel pretty comfy now and then, especially THEN. Could even do useful and unusual things like healing, when behind. Early levels it felt like I can survive any 1v1 situation, but now I don't, same with kills. Now when I meet mostly 40 lvls I begin to comprehend the conceptual difference between a damage dealer and a dps-lowbie-shaman. And hey, I was meant to be a true glasscannon damage dealer since the day I was born. But undying either..."

When got stomped last time at Black Crag, I decided to take a deep breath and think about my future, while it's not too late.
Where am I going?
In the beginning, before experiencing shaman, I found myself maddeningly dying to those stupid AM's and WL's. AM's mostly. When you re doing t1 rvr and all of sudden you become a needle (DoT) pad for another brainless AM, you die. But if you can heal yourself somehow - you have at least some chances to run away then come back and return them a favor. That was very pleasing experience when I started shaman. So I found that self-reliability and maneuverability is very important to me.
But also is damage dealing and securing kills. A little more shammy practice showed me that I capped with my skills as a damage-dealer. You have a couple of DoT's and that's it, son. You'd better heal and you'd better run fast, son, because they're coming for you. Worst of all - I'm not sure a shaman can handle anyone 1v1 at high levels. It has some sort of self-reliability, that's a big pro, but what else?

So I decided to turn this issue into a question thread, asking for advice, not for trollish bravado. All those jokes of infinite wisdom smells the same - bullsh*t.
There is at least one class for entire game which meet my criteria: self-reliant and melting other classes down in 1v1 (or guaranteed escape). You could say, for example, that I should give it a chance for Magus, since Magus becomes self-reliant with bla-bla surging violet fire vampirism tactix and so on. You could say that DoK > Shaman in terms of killing, and prove your statement with facts, which is totally approved here. You could suggest me playing some order class that simply couldn't get any better.

These are criteria:
+ self-reliant (needs noone to get kills, survive and repeat)
+ could melt down enemies and/or killshot 'em
- personal skill dependence (not gear) (I'd be glad to die cuz of my slow reflexes/stupidity instead of dying cuz of poor itemization)

If you could imagine one or more resemblances - suggest up to 4 options

Ads
TenTonHammer

Re: [Beginner's Question] All-sufficient and self-reliant?

Post#2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 pm

So about that point 3 man you gotta realize that AoR and in turn RoR is a gear driven mmo

You will feel the pain of being low geared vs 40’s stacking tons of armor so you barely tickle

That’s how this game works

Having said all that try the Swiss Army knife that is marauder viable at every lvl of play

Still melt to wls rdps whs

peterthepan3

Post#3 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:36 pm

DPS Shaman/AM
Squig Herder
White Lion

Demonology Magus is also a very self-sufficient class, great for 1v1, but may require a bit more input/work to pull off than those mentioned above.

methority

Post#4 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Who punishes WL's, rdps and AM's for being such a badasses?
Why Demonology Magus is as good as you tell it is?

abezverkhiy

Post#5 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:21 am

There’s no best class imo. I would say RDD and healers easier to play cause they act from afar.
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354

zulnam

Post#6 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 am

Shaman is a good self reliant class that can melt most stuff in 1v1 however you will need gear and levels.

Unfortunately, if you go dps healer, your best sets come out of scenarios as well, so you will need to grind those quite a bit. Unfortunate because scenarios are not always available.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Sulorie

Post#7 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 am

All the classes you mentioned are fine, you just lack experience.
Dying is no option.

chokeanutsman

Post#8 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Self-sufficient + Easy Solo Roam + Easy SCs that are garbage in design = Order

WE and WH feel equal but both are useless in mass PK anyways.

Shaman, and Magus are nice classes and fit the self sustain part nicely in all forms of the game and CAN be useful in mass pvp. But for Magus to be able to reliably duel order classes, they have to be tanky and tank means you don't burst and is basically a funnel bot. You build glass cannon, you die to one Silence from BW, AM, and WL anyways.

Marauder isn't bad either, but they don't have a pet and isn't exactly effective as pure DPS.

Destro classes are not superior to AM or WL in terms of 1v1s and in turn don't really carry bad designed SCs (Such as Thunder Valley) like AM or WL. So for solo roaming and SC-wise, if you want your life to be easy, just go order because they are OBJECTIVELY superior in 1v1s (For example, AM being able to cleanse Shaman DOTS, while Shaman can't cleanse AM DOTS. AM doesn't need to deal with WL. White Lion Pet being superior to Squig Herder's pet and in turn WL can be a more forgiving class because SH most of the time has to trait for the 25% more damage without pet while a WL can counterpressure while the White Lion class itself is stunned because it's pet is good) and you can level easily assuming that your friends are asleep.

Though if ANYBODY would like to show me a class in destro that can "self-sustain" and be useful in mass PvP yet can actually duel and be as good as WL and AM, I'm open to being proved wrong but I'm not really holding my hopes up just because of the fact that Destro doesn't have WL.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Post#9 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm

chokeanutsman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 pm Self-sufficient + Easy Solo Roam + Easy SCs that are garbage in design = Order

Funny way to spell destro right there.

chokeanutsman

Post#10 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Hargrim wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm
chokeanutsman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 pm Self-sufficient + Easy Solo Roam + Easy SCs that are garbage in design = Order

Funny way to spell destro right there.
I'm open to being proved wrong, but I need solid proof such as videos.

I don't think Destro is superior to 1v1s because they don't have WL. IF there is a destro class that can reliably kill WL (Excluding WE, which is probably the only real 1v1 Destro has which is 1 compared to the many classes Order has), I'd like to see solid proof.