Recent Topics

Ads

Engineer vs Magus crit tactic problem

Let's talk about... everything else
Fey

Re: Engineer vs Magus crit tactic problem

Post#31 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:53 am

Learn to use aoe stagger, disarm,and aoe kd. The damage is just icing, utility and CC is your ish. Actually the damage is pretty good. Swift flames crit havoc build is plenty potent. Move along, sir.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

Ads
Parallell86

Post#32 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:25 am

Tankbeardz wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:39 pm
Parallell86 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:32 pm
Tankbeardz wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Engi is a better class with faster burst. I've got a 2900k snipe just the other day, in fact. Yes, it is usually lower than magus but the focused fire finisher is CORE and hits every 1 second vs IFOC which hits every 2 and is a 13 pt ability. I'd say that is MORE than a fair trade off.
I have never seen a 2.9k Snipe on my rr 60+ Engi. In fact, before I gave up on him, I hit a zealot, none crit, no guard in range, for 400 damage.
Then you were detaunted AND/OR not managing your damage stacks OR there was an absorb shied up OR you aren't very high in your tree, OR you aren't maxed on ballistic with a fair amount of weapon skill. There is also the 25% armor pen ability they added. There are lots of unknowns in your statement.
Play an engineer. Play a magus. You'll see.

Tankbeardz

Post#33 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Parallell86 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:25 am
Parallell86 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:32 pm

I have never seen a 2.9k Snipe on my rr 60+ Engi. In fact, before I gave up on him, I hit a zealot, none crit, no guard in range, for 400 damage.
Then you were detaunted AND/OR not managing your damage stacks OR there was an absorb shied up OR you aren't very high in your tree, OR you aren't maxed on ballistic with a fair amount of weapon skill. There is also the 25% armor pen ability they added. There are lots of unknowns in your statement.
Funny, I've played 2 of each to 70+ and I see just fine.

https://imgur.com/MaZlubm

peterthepan3

Post#34 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:18 pm

^
Game, Set and Match.

Crumbs

Post#35 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:57 am

Ive had 4k Bocs now, and I've had stupid snipes nearing 3k, they don't count for much when you they account for 0.00001% of your gameplay. Get good and good gear and you can take anyone home. I've still yet to see a reason to upgrade merc set as magus, and it still hits as hard if not harder than my engi at times. Engi burst might be faster but its weaker, and you can timestamp damage natrually harder on havoc.
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Parallell86

Post#36 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 am

Tankbeardz wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Now show me a picture of your magus damage.

thesis

Post#37 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:25 am

Not to derail but I support tankbeardz and peterthepan3 feedback here: from very competent players.
- Instrument
- Fact/Fiction/Undo
- Thesis/Antithesis

Want to feel better about yourself and your gameplay? https://twitch.tv/mr_thesis

Tankbeardz

Post#38 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 am

Parallell86 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 am
Tankbeardz wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Now show me a picture of your magus damage.
Someone claimed I couldn't get 2900 snipes and I posted a screeny right after I had one close. It usually maxes out at around 2400-2500.

I don't have a BoC screeny but, in roughly the same gear, my magus hits about the same on BoC as my engi with snipe. Sure it hit's tanks harder but it's nothing to write home about unless you have focused mind with tactic crit damage for flickering red fire spam. You can believe me or not...I don't care. You should ask the Crumbs for pics of his 4k BoCs - I'm calling bullshit on that one (not counting SC Damage buffs / WC Buffs).

Ads
aa91837

Post#39 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:23 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm Engineer crit tactic requires you to have a pet, be near the pet, and you have to spend 11-points in Tinkerer - a largely useless tree if you are ST DPS; it's a fair trade-off.

Right doesn't need a crit tactic when you have Surging Power letting Infernal Blast crit for 1k+, lol.
1.>Engineer crit tactic requires you to have a pet
Show me engineer who plays with no turret.

2.>be near the pet
As long as you are within 100 feet of your turret.
Crumbs wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:57 am Ive had 4k Bocs now
#fakeinfo

ALL: this thread about Engineer having more crit in general, not about Bolt of Change vs Snipe and Armor vs Resist.

and btw engi dots still doing more dmg, you can read here: viewtopic.php?t=30779
Nobody on the broken noob class

peterthepan3

Post#40 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:52 pm

I was hoping you'd be able to put two and two together, but seeing as you can't: all you need to do to nullify Engineer's 15% crit is kill his turret, rinse-repeat. Magus doesn't have such a penalty applied to his respective crit buffs.

And yes - you have to be within 100ft. This was a change made on RoR as the previous iteration was far too punishing on specs other than Rifleman. Still doesn't negate from the fact that you need to have a pet out in the first place, does it, my lovely friend?

Oh wow! Engineer's physical DoTs hit harder on squishy targets! Who'd have thought? It's not like Engineer in general hits harder on squishy targets, is it?

Kek/10