Recent Topics

Ads

how do the devs keep the servers up

Let's talk about... everything else
badanxietyy

how do the devs keep the servers up

Post#1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 am

since there isnt any form of donations etc how are they able to up keep the servers

Ads
NoRKaLKiLLa

Re: how do the devs keep the servers up

Post#2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:24 am

Ad revenue from when you turn off ad blockers

Gangan

Post#3 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 am

As far as I know Yaliskha pays from his own pocket to keep the server running. Due to "legal restriction" the team isn't allowed to make any money with this server or big brother EA/GW might get grumpy.
The only way to support the financing is to turn off your addblocker when visting this forum.
Pächter des Wahnsinns
Gangan - SH 75 .... Blumnmoscha - BO 63
Scophis - Zealot 73 .... Drengur - WP 64
Iznogoud - Sham 50+ .... Bixo - Engie 50+
Apogemoth - Magus 40+ .... Loarelle - AM 65
originating from Drakenwald

Ysaran

Post#4 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 am

Gangan wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 am As far as I know Yaliskha pays from his own pocket to keep the server running. Due to "legal restriction" the team isn't allowed to make any money with this server or big brother EA/GW might get grumpy.
will this ever end some day? i mean: if the problem is the copyright then one they it wile expire, right?
Zputadenti

saupreusse
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:30 am

Ysaran wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 am
Gangan wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 am As far as I know Yaliskha pays from his own pocket to keep the server running. Due to "legal restriction" the team isn't allowed to make any money with this server or big brother EA/GW might get grumpy.
will this ever end some day? i mean: if the problem is the copyright then one they it wile expire, right?
Nope. Since ror has no ties to gw in any way that wont be the case.

Ysaran

Post#6 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:36 am

saupreusse wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:30 am
thus we will never be able to donate?
Zputadenti

sioding
Game Master

Post#7 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:45 am

Ysaran wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:36 am
saupreusse wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:30 am
thus we will never be able to donate?
No - never!
OCRANA ...deal with it!
Jolinor
Siolor

sioding[at]returnofreckoning.com

bwdaWAR

Post#8 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 am

I don't know how exactly IP laws work for software in the US and UK, but I know that for other media, IP rights expire on the scope of decades (and there are loopholes companies can work around that), and even if for the game itself it was shorter, GW still owns Warhammer. So that won't happen in this project's lifetime and you won't ever be able to donate - unless for some unlikely reason GW and EA suddenly both decide they want some income from this and make the staff an offer they can't refuse.

Ads
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#9 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 am

Server hardware is funded with ads displayed on the forum. Staff work is paid with your moral support.
Since few month, after all this years, the hardware part it is almost self-financing.

We made the choice to base the funding model on ads for many reasons.
It is random and depends on your good will to use or not an adblocker ofc, but our purpose is not to make any profit with this project (for lot of reasons), we don't need much than whats needed to ensure hardware rental.

Ofc, for transparency reason and ethics that concern me, anyone in RoR team has access to the project's book keeping.

Haskr

Post#10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm

As I wrote some months ago: this server will not die because Games-Workshop or EA takes it down, it will die because one day you look at the population counter and there will be fewer and fewer people online during primetime, and if the number is low enough it won't make any sense anymore to spend thousands of € to keep a server running.

Did Apoc die because Games-Workshop or EA took it down? It died because of one decision from the developers and then everybody left.