Population is starting to drop.

Let's talk about... everything else

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

madmalky2014

Population is starting to drop.

Post#1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:29 am

Recently the population has dropped and there must be a reason for it.

A lot of lone wolves have joined they dont do warbands when i log on see no wb i tend to log back out again. Cant see the sense in playing like that you get less renown less kills and are in great danger of being ganked. Which im not willing to do give away free easy kills to the enemy.

Another factor that has been thrown out there is WOW Classic taking players away i wouldnt worry too much about that as it will be a temporary phase and they will drift back to ror.

If you have hit 80 and have full invader the incentive play on is not there im in that position my main is 82 i dont want 83 i dont need bragging right i need new dungeon, armour sets and content. My main will remain unplayed until this happens.

Ads
Ysaran

Re: Population is starting to drop.

Post#2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:52 am

See ya

Psychoxell

Post#3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 pm

madmalky2014 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:29 am
A lot of lone wolves have joined they dont do warbands when i log on see no wb i tend to log back out again.
And why you dont open a wb? I bet there are many players who would join.
Adeptha - Warrior Priest - RR85 - Bene Tleilax

Discord: Adeptha#3184

My Addons
- secret (closed beta)
- secret (closed beta)

Dabbart

Post#4 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm

^^^^ that a 1000x. Or join a guild. Or post in \5. Or, I dunno... Go PvE in Vanilla. But you'll have to form a group or join a guild there to accomplish anything close to BiS, so I dunno what to tell you.

But pushing out new content endlessly just cause you can't find a group seems... Odd. How will you find a group for that dungeon if you can't find one for ORvR?
Last edited by Dabbart on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post#5 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm

I dont profess to know the answer but I felt compelled to comment as my impression are interestingly the exact opposite, maybe the truth can lie in both camps but here are my observations:

There used to be lots of healthy small scale life, plenty of 6-mans, and guild/alliance half warband sized groups very active in the lakes. Now it seems everyone, even the pinnacle solo classes, predominantly move with the blobs and aoe warbands.

This development was possibly partially caused by too long of a delay in bringing certain extremely overpowered classes into line, so when the sorely needed adjustments finally were made, the damage was already done, a large number of above groups and individuals had already left the game.

The final nail in the coffin, the removal or reduced ability to have some kind of very limited and temporary control over risk taken in various situations - defensive tools such as cleansing winds, resolute defense, and other renown based defensive rr spends, now even toughness, etc all have been culled or toned down and defensive morales are subordinated to undefendable attacks.

This all makes dps king and everyone else 2nd tier, and by extension any dps supported will also be more at risk, so in this environment I cant blame people for the logical step of blobbing.. This together with the sheer amount of crowd control flying around, the best defense becomes having lots of allies around you hoping they will get focused before you are... and so you have those aoe hives/blobs moving around. This game play style however turned off a great many players. Contrary to popular belief a large player base did relish the sub-warband sized gaming thrills and challenges. In this category you will find a very sizable number of players who were very active players, that have disappeared.

chewydown

Post#6 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Just gonna say, for a lot of people (including myself) college is back in. That means less time to play. The past couple of days though I've seen up to 600-700 people on so... seems pretty good to me considering the population cap.

larsulu

Post#7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Open fortress to everyone. ( so it won’t kill the whole rvr )
Make pve more faster.
The population will increase.
decimo marauder
larsulu zealot
norsemanherra wp

BeautfulToad

Post#8 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm

chewydown wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm
Just gonna say, for a lot of people (including myself) college is back in. That means less time to play. The past couple of days though I've seen up to 600-700 people on so... seems pretty good to me considering the population cap.
Euro prime time is still well over 700 and normally over 800 on weekdays. The population peaked a few weeks back at over 1,000 in Euro prime time (and 2x weekend). I suspect WoW classic has more to do with that than all this other stuff.

Ads
Acidic

Post#9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm

larsulu wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm
Open fortress to everyone. ( so it won’t kill the whole rvr )
Make pve more faster.
The population will increase.
The pop would increase for a very short time then drastically drop. Already ppl here saying that they want more content as they have done it all.
The “grind” serves a purpose and this games grind is already relatively low compared to manny

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Population started dropping after we released invader, and it's been a slow burn since then. Classic didn't help, but we knew that was going to happen.

All the data we have comes down to a very simple fact. Release content, or the server slowly dies. It doesn't matter what it is. If you want to see a real game deal with this sort of slow burn, Path of Exile has been doing it for years.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025784/D ... f-Exile-to
Around 9 minutes is when they start talking about population issues.

Right around 20 minutes is where they talk about burnout and why players come back to a game. In our case, that's probably city sieges.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog