Recent Topics

Ads

Coordinated Strike nerf (WL)

Let's talk about... everything else
zachary

Re: Coordinated Strike nerf (WL)

Post#11 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 am

people just don't want to have to be proactive in their gameplay to combat enemies' strengths
If by that you mean people should just kill the pet - remind me what the cast time of re-summoning a pet is? 1s? So take the time to kill their pet and you've disabled their massive damage for... 1s. So that's not going to be worth doing. Maybe if they couldn't be resummoned for a minute or so after their death it'd be worth going after the lions first, but as it is, it's rarely worth the time.

I had to look up that 1s on the builder, btw - and it's difficult to believe. Even (immobile) magus pets have a 2s cast time to resummon. An inability to immediately resummon their pets - thus making their loss a _real_ loss - might make WLs more cautious about sending them into battle unsupported, as well.
Xand*r*nius is still trying to Learn To Play

Ads
oaliaen

Post#12 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:40 am

enjoy your nerf

Manatikik

Post#13 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:00 am

zachary wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 am
people just don't want to have to be proactive in their gameplay to combat enemies' strengths
If by that you mean people should just kill the pet - remind me what the cast time of re-summoning a pet is? 1s? So take the time to kill their pet and you've disabled their massive damage for... 1s. So that's not going to be worth doing. Maybe if they couldn't be resummoned for a minute or so after their death it'd be worth going after the lions first, but as it is, it's rarely worth the time.

I had to look up that 1s on the builder, btw - and it's difficult to believe. Even (immobile) magus pets have a 2s cast time to resummon. An inability to immediately resummon their pets - thus making their loss a _real_ loss - might make WLs more cautious about sending them into battle unsupported, as well.
Well first of all it has a 15 s CD then a 1s cast (though its castable on the move) - really undercuts your input when you clearly have 0 idea about what you're talking about. And secondly, no - not just kill the pet. You can see him coming at you and you can choose to detaunt him or the pet (or AoE detaunt them both); range snare them (Feline grace can counter that but then you're swapping CD's); KD/Disarm: or heres a crazy idea - change your positioning to stay out of his range. I'm not saying its easy to always counter WL's but where it counts you can minimize their effectiveness (just like all classes) pretty much all the time.
<Montague><Capulet>

Flavorburst

Post#14 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:40 am

Manatikik wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:00 am
zachary wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 am

Well first of all it has a 15 s CD then a 1s cast (though its castable on the move) - really undercuts your input when you clearly have 0 idea about what you're talking about. And secondly, no - not just kill the pet. You can see him coming at you and you can choose to detaunt him or the pet (or AoE detaunt them both); range snare them (Feline grace can counter that but then you're swapping CD's); KD/Disarm: or heres a crazy idea - change your positioning to stay out of his range. I'm not saying its easy to always counter WL's but where it counts you can minimize their effectiveness (just like all classes) pretty much all the time.
Or be in guard range, don't have tanks that suck, don't spec/gear glass cannon (then be shocked when you get shattered), be able to out-pressure, be a dps dok, etc.

There are many ways to counter or deal with a WL. You just have to learn to play.

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#15 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 am

Manatikik wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:08 am the class isn't based around DoT's and would require an entire rework to make it so.
Hey Fenryl,

I'd like to give you a detailed explanation of why we did the nerf. I'll take ownership and say that this was my idea after a long discussion in the balance channel. It isn't balanced around DoTs; you're right, that's why I would love to add more options in addition to the 10s rotation.

The reason we did the CS nerf is to highlight the abilities that were under-performing - as you've mentioned here, the best part of WL that is over-performing is their 10s rotation - Forced Opportunity, Pack Assault and Coordinated Strike. Anything else outside of that 10s burst rotation is essentially filler / single target pressure. That's not good design if your class is defined by three buttons on the same cooldown that can be used passively to do burst damage, and maybe 2 GCDs outside of that rotation for applying debuffs or pouncing to another target. I'd say CS was the highest performing ability on the WL.

That being said, there needs to be another role for WL outside of that 10s rotation. Let's start by looking at the under-performing abilities in trees:

Hunter

FO/Pounce are standard abilities that everyone pretty much takes at this point. I'm against making them baseline as it forces people to make decisions about what 13pt tree decision they wish to go for.
Hunter's 13 pt ability needs a rework as right now, imo, there is no incentive to go for it. Whirling Axe severely under-performs compared to Slashing Blade.

Slashing Blade can benefit from Tearing Blade AND Hack and Slash tactics, but generally you wouldn't run both of them, as you'd have to give up Speed Training and one of the two: Brute Force, or Flanking, neither of which you'd really want to give up under any circumstance. So really, you either get a strong AOE attack that both Slashing Blade and Whirling Axe benefit from (with Slashing Blade outperforming Whirling Axe in almost every circumstance) or an extra DoT on Slashing Blade and Sundering Chop (which doesn't do that much damage at all.)

I think the best option would be to increase the primary stat modifier of Whirling Axe to 0.66 from the 0.22 where it is now. That would be a pretty big leap, but it would make WL's AOE pretty damn strong and make the 13 point investment worthwhile compared to just putting more points in the tree to improve Slashing Blade.

Some have stated that WL needs an AOE knockdown like Marauders do. I don't think that's the case, as that's unique to marauders and we shouldn't take that away from them. I think WL's AOE just sucks currently, and it's not because they are missing AOE utility.

Axeman
Thin The Herd / Cull the Weak / Primal Fury pretty much defines the Axeman Tree. I think Axeman's passive tactics are lacking. Expect to see a change that allows Full Grown to allow Blindside / Shattering Blow to bypass 35% armor in the future as well as the stat increases. Needs more feedback to see if the CS buff in the last patch (11/9/2019) was enough to restore WL to a somewhat usable state.
As my boss says at work to me about balance changes, "players generally notice changes that are 15% (or more); that's when you generally cross the threshold where you start to notice changes." - I'd expect 35% armor penetration to make those abilities worthwhile.

I feel like the initial/DoT hit is weak on Blindside. I've considered adding weapon damage to that ability for both the DoT and initial hit. Additionally, Shattering Blow is still not where I want it to be, but I'd feel extra dirty if it scaled off weapon damage too. I think the best course of action is to triple the value of SB's Primary Stat Modifier.

Guardian

I think Leonine Frenzy, Brutal Pounce pretty much is class defining for the guardian tree. The passives are too small for me to really want to use them. Would love to see Furious Mending tick every 1 second as opposed to every 5. I wouldn't go overboard like the Torque changes were, though. I think Baited Trap should passively 'steal' disrupt chance on whatever target you use it on when you use Baited Strike, to add a bit of synergy that wasn't there before with RDPS.
But it's missing an ability as well. Echoing Roar takes way too long to build up damage with a 15s duration. I'd rather see it be a 9s duration, 5s reuse, and a tick interval of every 3 seconds.

I would also like to mention that Guardian, imo, is in the best spot - it's the easiest class to play due to most of its abilities being done by the lion and therefore not subjected to GCD (IE; Brutal Pounce, Leonine Frenzy, etc) and you really only have to put brainpower into the 10s rotation and keeping your lion alive or on the right target. It really doesn't need any more changes than what has been presented already.

But muh Marauders!
I'd like to give a similar buff to Marauders, even though they've been the poster child for a 'perfectly balanced class' for a while, a buff to their Rend ability to match that of WL's DoT buffs. They already get an armor bypass on their mutation-required abilities, and it would only seem fair to buff the WL's 'Mythic mirror' with something similar.

Closing
We've actually had a lot more plans for not just WL, but wanted to see how the WL changes were received before moving forward with any more changes. Generally, the feedback has been positive from destro players and neutral from order players.

I'd also like to mention that these are changes *I* want to see and do not reflect the opinions of the entire team, and none of what I posted may stay in the game for long, or if at all.

I think these are pretty good ideas and I just so happen to have access to my local dev server right now. I may stream working on these abilities soon so we can try them out together as a community. Is that something you guys would be interested in seeing?

Let me know, even if it's just feedback. If these changes work well for WL, we'll be touching other classes with similar tweaks.

Detangler

Post#16 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:09 am

Good. It was needed. There are plenty of times you WL players killed someone before the knockdown was over and you all know it.

"Nuh uh! Only if you're an undergeared lowbie lolz"

And if you're one of the many people just leveling in this game or just joined and you got vaporized? That's kinda a crap attitude for a small population server to just say 'eff you' to half the enemy fightin' force - both sides have plenty of undergeared lowbies that just want to get thru the grind.

"But front loaded burst is what defines the class!! I dont want to have to assist my party to get kills!"

Look, let's just level for a minute, ok? It's not fun to go up against someone in a fight when you dont get a chance to fight back. This same argument has been played out in other games many times over. Front loaded burst that high needed to be toned down. Yes, BW and sorc can do that kind of damage -back loaded. Theres at least a chance someone could clear a debuff and mess up the damage rotation in the 10 seconds it takes to set it up. See - they get a chance to fight back.

"But I like doing damage!!! Its a damage dealing class!!"

Its either this or you lose your knockdown.

"Aaarrgh!!"

Now give them another AoE attack so they stop complaining about not being useful in warband play.

"Ok fine...."
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Ysaran

Post#17 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 am

balvor877 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm well, that explains it. 1.5 to 0.75 and now 1.0.

So they nerfed it from 1.5 to 1.0 right now. How is that stronger in any way?

CS hits like a wet noodle now. I hope you are happy now. What's the next love patch for destro? Im curious to see.
listen, 1.5->0.75=nerf and 0.75->1=buff, it's simple. you post i silly for just one reason: you have done the post after they buffed CS and not when they nerfed it. this means that you don't have a real concern but just wanted whine.

now let's do some math: if you have 1050 strenght you have a bonus of 210dps, this mean that with a contribution of 1.5 CS would benefit of 315 damage for each attack, which mean that on the total damage of CS (all four attacks) then 1260 were coming from force.
with a contribution of 1 each attack receive 210 damage bonus wich means that the total contribution is 840, so you lost 420 on four attack, i.e 105 per attack.
now, i'm not sayng that this isn't a nerf, just that to say that
balvor877 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm CS hits like a wet noodle
is a bit excessive
Zputadenti

balvor877
Suspended

Post#18 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 am

Secrets wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 am
Manatikik wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:08 am the class isn't based around DoT's and would require an entire rework to make it so.
But muh Marauders!
I'd like to give a similar buff to Marauders, even though they've been the poster child for a 'perfectly balanced class' for a while, a buff to their Rend ability to match that of WL's DoT buffs. They already get an armor bypass on their mutation-required abilities, and it would only seem fair to buff the WL's 'Mythic mirror' with something similar.
You do realize that Mara and WL are two different concepts? One has tons of abilities and the other has front load burst. Once you take the front load burst away you break the class concept and leave a broken class with low utility and burst.

All I read in here are posts from dessis that are happy about the nerf. Good job, you cried until they nerfed it. Want a lolly?

Order has to deal with a lot of overpowered destro stuff every day. Take the git auto detaunt tactic for example. How is a WL supposed to kill a git without burst? What about magus? One of the strongest classes now. One dot rotation and a WL is almost dead. What about WE with insane dps. rr80+ WE burn through everything in seconds. Mara fetch, and so forth. There is so many overpowered stuff and you are crying about a front load ability on a timer that requires a pet and is on a very fragile class. Come on...

Ads
nat3s

Post#19 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 am

WL were the best 1v1 class in the game by miles. Their pets are tanky (unlike engi, magus and SH) and they could stomp pug SCs. They needed toning down.

Appreciate it sucks as you've become accustomed to facerolling people, but it needed to happen Manatikik.

As it happens they are still the best 1v1 roamer for orvr and incredibly powerful at nuking backline. Much more so than say Maras or mSH.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

balvor877
Suspended

Post#20 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:01 am

nat3s wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 am WL were the best 1v1 class in the game by miles.
No they are not. Shaman is way way better. That auto detaunt tactic is overpowered since day 1. Let's take that away, then Im fine with the WL nerf. You get the dwarven mirror "faster recovery from knock downs" for it. Sounds fair, right?