Recent Topics

Ads

Extracting in-game models in 2019

Let's talk about... everything else
Infamousxiii

Extracting in-game models in 2019

Post#1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Hey everyone! I've been getting into some 3d printing and I had the idea that extracting items and characters from the game files here would make for some great Hero's or Lords for my personal tabletop army. Is anyone currently doing this already for their own little projects? I can't seem to figure it out and could use some guidance on making it all work while hopefully avoiding an expensive software subscription.

I've done some searching and asking but haven't found much outside a post from 2016 that is somewhat related to what I'm attempting.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13263

To be clearest, I would like to take just the models from things and have them converted to an obj or stl that I can work with. I don't need animations or the dds or anything else of that nature.

Edit to add: Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I'm wasn't sure exactly where it belonged.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Re: Extracting in-game models in 2019

Post#2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Well, sad truth is most of what you can see ingame is achieved by textures - the models when printed will look rather bad.

Infamousxiii

Post#3 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I understand that many in-game models will look like Barbie dolls if taken from just the model. The idea is to take the body model and then add item models to it.

Also, things like buildings and monsters and warmachines might work pretty great. I would like to at least give it a try even if it means adding some green stuff after I print stuff out.

DrakkenKal

Post#4 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:50 am

Being able to pull the buildings, which were amazing renders of old GW hand made terrain would be amazing. I would kill for the bridges and windmills of the empire areas or the keeps.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#5 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:11 am

To enlight Hargrim's post :

Point is, lot of details exist because of transparency texture files.

PastorMatt

Post#6 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:36 am

While I'm not 3D printing my models, I have found myself recreating Age of Reckoning models for Warcraft 3

Example - Steam Tank
Spoiler:
Right now I'm working on the Greenskin Base/ Black Orc, hence why I've been following BOs around and telling them to hold still for screenshots of the various armours

I'd love a way to view individual models in 3D, that's actually how I reproduced RE2 zombies

Infamousxiii

Post#7 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Update!

I now have access to in game files excluding character files and armor sets.

Using 2 programs to pull the files and then a combination of 3 other programs to make it printable after significant editing!

PastorMatt

Post#8 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 am

What sort of models/textures did you get?

Ads
dorite

Post#9 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:29 pm

Infamousxiii wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm Update!

I now have access to in game files excluding character files and armor sets.

Using 2 programs to pull the files and then a combination of 3 other programs to make it printable after significant editing!
care to share?