Recent Topics

Ads

Returning player - which of these classes to level?

Let's talk about... everything else

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

BenjaminMason
Banned

Returning player - which of these classes to level?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:03 am

Coming back after a year or so not playing. I love playing Dwarfs, and am a casual player, so please help me decide which char to lv to 40 best based on the following parameters:

Current chars:

Lv 7/8 RP

Lv 29/29 Slayer

Lv 31/33 Eng

Lv 36/34 IB

Caveats: I only play on the weekends, so I won't always have a dedicated group to roll with, and will have trouble getting the best gear. So I'm looking for some level of self-reliance in PUBS and utility using sub-optimal gear. I'd also rather not play the RP, since it will take forever to level him up. :)usps trackingshowbox

Any other thoughts?
Last edited by BenjaminMason on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Sulorie

Re: Returning player - which of these classes to level?

Post#2 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 am

I would pick IB. Even with your limited time, you will eventually learn to guard and be more useful than many other tank players. You don't need the highest tier armor sets either and in general, tanks are wanted more than dd classes excluding healers.
Dying is no option.

havartii

Post#3 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:39 am

RP will lvl the fastest , your rr ranks will help make up what your lacking in gear.

emiliorv

Post#4 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 pm

I think RP/Engi for casual playing will be the the most easy.

Ototo

Post#5 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 pm

BenjaminMason wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:03 am
Coming back after a year or so not playing. I love playing Dwarfs, and am a casual player, so please help me decide which char to lv to 40 best based on the following parameters:

Current chars:

Lv 7/8 RP

Lv 29/29 Slayer

Lv 31/33 Eng

Lv 36/34 IB

Caveats: I only play on the weekends, so I won't always have a dedicated group to roll with, and will have trouble getting the best gear. So I'm looking for some level of self-reliance in PUBS and utility using sub-optimal gear. I'd also rather not play the RP, since it will take forever to level him up. :)

Any other thoughts?
Ironbreaker and Engineer are your best bets. Tanks in order are extremely needed and well liked, and IB is the balanced one, with decent utility, decent group support, and decent damage potential for a tank. Engies are just a blast to play, with lots of tools, and beer, and turrets, and beer, and mines, did I mention the beer? :D but as a class that is overpopulated, you may find some troubles to gear it up and find groups for PvE, and a lot of people is gonna look down on you.

Anyways, my second advice is that you check the 3rd Bitterstones page and join the guild. They will greatly help you.
Spoiler:

Aurandilaz

Post#6 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:37 pm

engi is king for casual gameplay
you have very good AoE output for leeching big fights, you have self keg heal for staying alive, you can respec between st spec, utility spec, or basic leech spec, and you have some ok escape tools like stagger, a powerful st sniping morale to ensure you get that target down from range, and your superior range over other classes lets you play safe and keep pewpewping with extremely low risk from keep walls and so on.

Detangler

Post#7 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Yes push him to play an engineer. Cause order definitely needs more of those....

In all seriousness, pick any of the other 3. You will be infinitely more valuable to a pug warband. And dont worry about leveling speed. Once you hit 20 on your tank/healer you'll be just fine for warband play with group heals and challenge. Bolster will keep you golden until you hit 40. Enjoy the grind and the chaos of open rvr and scenarios.

Also runies and zealots level just fine. You can use your healer gear and do damage while AM and sham have to carry a full 2nd set if you want to xp grind a bit.
Detangler - 40 DoK armor talisman farmer
Deetangler - 40/7x Chosen tankbot/murdermachine
Deeetangler - 40/6x Zealot healbot/talisman factory
Detanglerr - 40/xx Witch Elf boredom killer
Deetsquiggy - 40/x Squig butcherbot
Tangler - baby Slayer

Marawo

Post#8 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pm

Engineer or IB definetly, both classes have a level of self sufficiency and are useful for each and every type of content.
You can build engineer into a cc type character which means your damage numbers/gear won't matter that much.
As for not top geared tanks, just take the second row in the tankline and build more defensively and grab less utility if you are too squishy and you should be good to go.

Ads
Ototo

Post#9 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:28 am

Detangler wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:42 pm
Yes push him to play an engineer. Cause order definitely needs more of those....

(...)
He was asking for our advice, not for our agendas. Learn the difference between helping others and helping yourself.
Spoiler:

Detangler

Post#10 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:58 am

Ototo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:28 am
Detangler wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:42 pm

(...)
He was asking for our advice, not for our agendas. Learn the difference between helping others and helping yourself.
lol ok bud. i'm helping him long term by not picking a class that order does not need more of to be able to make warband play more competitive. also i'm pretty sure if it was all about my agenda, i'd say go hogwild and play engies for every new order player out there. scenarios/warbands of tankless, healless engies would be free renown for me.

Also thanks for cutting out all the helpful part of my post and only posting the sarcasm part. you interning at Fox News or something? Grade A taking things out of context there.....
Detangler - 40 DoK armor talisman farmer
Deetangler - 40/7x Chosen tankbot/murdermachine
Deeetangler - 40/6x Zealot healbot/talisman factory
Detanglerr - 40/xx Witch Elf boredom killer
Deetsquiggy - 40/x Squig butcherbot
Tangler - baby Slayer