New Player Needing Advice (or: what even is t4 rvr)

Let's talk about... everything else
Caduceus

New Player Needing Advice (or: what even is t4 rvr)

Post#1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Hello all,

Full disclosure; at the time of writing this I am frustrated and disillusioned.

After having one of the most enjoyable PvP experiences I've had in an MMO in T1 RvR, I've now had one of the absolute worst ones in T4.

I know: stick with your WB, RoR is a teamgame, git gud scrub, etc.
I did those things. I got into a warband, stuck with them for better or for worse.
Over the course of a few hours I contributed absolutely nothing to my team, and accumulated similarly little. My damage is inconsequential. It doesn't even register on enemy hit bars. Their damage, however, registers quite well on mine. Death is basically instant and enemy players seem to smell low levels from a mile away.

Honestly, the worst part wasn't dying. I didn't actually die all that often. It just felt like a giant waste of time. Whether I stand around the fight AFKing or fighting makes virtually no difference. And there doesn't seem to be all that much combat going on. A lot of standing around and being chased or chasing enemies who do not want to fight. Dozens of players are facing off, almost no one is fighting, and the ones that are seemingly are capable of tanking an entire warband's damage. Probably close to a 100 people are fighting, yet over the course of an hour I can't complete a single quest that requires my war band to get 25 kills?

I just needed to get this off my mind. What is a new player supposed to make of all of this?
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Ghostwalker

Re: New Player Needing Advice (or: what even is t4 rvr)

Post#2 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi dude, I started here a few weeks before the influx of new players and I have experienced the exact same thing you're going through now, I still face the issue nobody cares and nothing will be done to fix it, its best you either quit playing or carry on trucking and see what happens that's my only advice cause the more you think about it and use this forum the more trolls will surface to talk rubbish to you so just a heads up there.

Also I have just started to reroll T1 characters simply cause its more fun, get to 16 and roll another, the end game here isn't fun cause there are to many elitists.

uanaka

Post#3 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 pm

I do have to ask if you were just running around in an unorganized pug warband? Those are great during sieges to put people together for guards and heals, but they're not particularly effective when roaming without a decent warband leader.

Also what class were you playing? Are you staying up to date with your gear? Are you assisting targets?

Skullgrin

Post#4 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Sounds like scenarios may be the change of pace that you are looking for.

Left click on the red WaR icon that's on the top left corner of your mini-map to select which scenarios you want to join, and then wait for them to pop. You'll be playing against similar level/geared players, with equal sized groups and sorta equalized group composition (no one ever has the proper healer ratio that they want :P).

Scenarios are the closest you'll come to having a perfectly balanced fight, so you'll have to come up with new excuses if you lose at them too. :lol:

Edit: Oh, also forgot to mention that they are probably the quickest way to earn a steady stream of renown.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#5 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Expect a change to bolster mechanics with the Saturday patch if we don't have it in sooner. It is lower than intended currently, and very unfortunately.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Caduceus

Post#6 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 pm

uanaka wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 pm I do have to ask if you were just running around in an unorganized pug warband? Those are great during sieges to put people together for guards and heals, but they're not particularly effective when roaming without a decent warband leader.

Also what class were you playing? Are you staying up to date with your gear? Are you assisting targets?
They were somewhat organized? I don't know. Didn't seem like there was much of a larger plan going on.

I'm playing a Magus, 22/28. My gear is basically what I got from medallions and influence. And I don't know about assisting. I'm trying to find targets that other people are damaging, if that is what you mean. Or I'm Aoeing.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Aremdor

Post#7 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:44 pm

I dont get the rvr in general i go their solo as a tank and get destroyed i get no xp or renown and i ask around to join a group but never get an invite so i really dont get it either

Caduceus

Post#8 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:49 pm

Skullgrin wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:08 pm Sounds like scenarios may be the change of pace that you are looking for.

Left click on the red WaR icon that's on the top left corner of your mini-map to select which scenarios you want to join, and then wait for them to pop. You'll be playing against similar level/geared players, with equal sized groups and sorta equalized group composition (no one ever has the proper healer ratio that they want :P).

Scenarios are the closest you'll come to having a perfectly balanced fight, so you'll have to come up with new excuses if you lose at them too. :lol:

Edit: Oh, also forgot to mention that they are probably the quickest way to earn a steady stream of renown.
That was a great piece of advice. All new players should hear this, really. Made a huge difference!

Ads
Xergon

Post#9 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:14 am

Caduceus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 pm Hello all,

Full disclosure; at the time of writing this I am frustrated and disillusioned.

After having one of the most enjoyable PvP experiences I've had in an MMO in T1 RvR, I've now had one of the absolute worst ones in T4.

I know: stick with your WB, RoR is a teamgame, git gud scrub, etc.
I did those things. I got into a warband, stuck with them for better or for worse.
Over the course of a few hours I contributed absolutely nothing to my team, and accumulated similarly little. My damage is inconsequential. It doesn't even register on enemy hit bars. Their damage, however, registers quite well on mine. Death is basically instant and enemy players seem to smell low levels from a mile away.

Honestly, the worst part wasn't dying. I didn't actually die all that often. It just felt like a giant waste of time. Whether I stand around the fight AFKing or fighting makes virtually no difference. And there doesn't seem to be all that much combat going on. A lot of standing around and being chased or chasing enemies who do not want to fight. Dozens of players are facing off, almost no one is fighting, and the ones that are seemingly are capable of tanking an entire warband's damage. Probably close to a 100 people are fighting, yet over the course of an hour I can't complete a single quest that requires my war band to get 25 kills?

I just needed to get this off my mind. What is a new player supposed to make of all of this?

Joining warband and following is only one of many first steps to have proper experience in warhammer RvR. Random Warbands from Open Parties lobbys are big random roll if its gonna work out or not. I would suggest joining Closed warbands, leaders of those trying to make proper 2/2/2 setups and has most likely understanding how to actually fight in RvR. Obviously its hard to get into those, specially as DPS class, cuz there is plenty of it. There is always not enough Tanks n Heals, but if you want to get proper experience you should try it.

Furthermore i would strongly advice to join proper guilds, who focus on RvR. If you dedicate a lil effort from yourself you will get rewarded.

You can also try joining some small roaming groups, its easier to understand whats happening in this scenario, but it will also require more from each member of your group to put proper performance and not letting group down.
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

Omegus

Post#10 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:19 am

Caduceus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 pm
uanaka wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 pm I do have to ask if you were just running around in an unorganized pug warband? Those are great during sieges to put people together for guards and heals, but they're not particularly effective when roaming without a decent warband leader.

They were somewhat organized? I don't know. Didn't seem like there was much of a larger plan going on.

I'm playing a Magus, 22/28. My gear is basically what I got from medallions and influence. And I don't know about assisting. I'm trying to find targets that other people are damaging, if that is what you mean. Or I'm Aoeing.
Unfortunately the Magus is one of those classes that really really needs a lot of mastery points as the "good stuff" is up the trees. At rank 29 you can spec for Chaotic Rift and become one of Order's most hated players. You will get instant feedback on how useful you are being when at the press of a button you suck in 6 enemy players within 75ft to you and the warband pounces on them for instant kills. Create a macro that alerts allies you're about to use Chaotic Rift and use it a few seconds before activating the ability to ensure people are ready to react. It's also fairly easy to gear for as your job is to be support rather than the main DPS so just focus on a bit of intelligence to counter the disrupt granted from willpower and then go defensive.

As you level up a bit futher you will be able to take multiple things from a mastery path and really begin to feel like you have a proper spec/role as the Magus. It's just one of those classes that just feels a bit flat and inconsequential at lower levels due to the lack of access to good abilities and good tactics in the mastery paths.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot