Recent Topics

Ads

Why only 90min realm lock?

Let's talk about... everything else
mako482

Why only 90min realm lock?

Post#1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 am

The population is so unbalanced today....I imagine it is like a snowball effect where people start to see it so they start jumping ship, which even further causes imbalance and causes even more people to jump ship to the more populated side. 90 minutes just doesn't seem like enough. Is there a reasoning behind it?

Ads
Kaelang

Re: Why only 90min realm lock?

Post#2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:45 am

90 minutes is a long enough time to deter people cross-realming right before forts / cities, but short enough so that people who accidentally log into one character aren't stuck there all day.

IMO.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

SaintRon

Post#3 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 am

Certain times of the day are 1 sided population wise and it switches from what I've seen.

jokerspsycho

Post#4 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 am

I mean, can't you just have 2 acts, one destro and one order. Would easily circumvent the lockout.

Ruscour

Post#5 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:31 am

jokerspsycho wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 am I mean, can't you just have 2 acts, one destro and one order. Would easily circumvent the lockout.
I actually tried this when I first started playing the game and the lockout remained. Seemed like they check IP address but you could pretty easily circumvent it with a VPN or something.
ruscur - RR6x Shaman <Art of Execution>
From Australia or nearby countries less cool? Join our Asia Pacific discord community!

nat3s

Post#6 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:58 am

Pop does seem to be evening out. Order had a huge overpop advantage over the last month since the pop jumped. Just hope it keeps improving, dont think we've had an EU/US prime time Altdorf siege in a month.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

Grock

Post#7 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:39 am

Kaelang wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:45 am 90 minutes is a long enough time to deter people cross-realming right before forts / cities
Except that it doesn't. Literally nothing stopping you from switching to a differnt faction just before fort/city.
The lockout only enabled after you switch, preventing you from going back

mako482 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 am The population is so unbalanced today....I imagine it is like a snowball effect where people start to see it so they start jumping ship, which even further causes imbalance and causes even more people to jump ship to the more populated side. 90 minutes just doesn't seem like enough. Is there a reasoning behind it?
This is always the problem with "xrealming" complaints. People "imagine" things instead of trying to find actual statistical data or even just logically following in-game design and incentives.

And 90% of the time what is seen as "xrealming" is just the average population fluctiation when people log out and new guys come in.
It is the most notable during organized warband days (wednesday) when big guilds suddenly log out all together after fighting in the lakes for hours and your side loses bunch of players.

Zone rewards are based on contribution, switching sides means you need to grind all over again.
Switching to larger side means there will be more competition for contribution and less chances to earn it because less enemies.
It also means there will be 'malus' and no rewards for kills.

Staying on smaller side means you get AAO bonus, you guaranteed kill rewards, less competition for contribution/boxes/reservations, etc

The lockout doesn't care which faction is zerging, it prevents you from going either way. Stuck on zerging faction? Enjoy no rewards. Stuck on the outnumbered faction alone? Suffer

Instead of locking people there should be incentives to encourage people to switch to the outnumbered faction to even out the population

Can't believe we're still going through this **** in 2020, but it guess its no surprise with all the new players here
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

xpander
Community Management

Post#8 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:28 am

Imo, it would be nice to get the lockout once you hit the oRvR lake. It will lock to that realm for 4 hours then. So it would be more fair and people who do dungeons, PvE, Auction House "scamming" can still switch between realms.

I dont know if thats possible to implement though.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
Eggs

Post#9 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm

While it can be a bit of a surprise for returning people who check something on the other faction or don't want to be in the order zerg, I think it's probably good overeall.

Just have to remember to check numbers on the ROR page first if you're trying to play the underdog.

imo a lot of games could learn from how this game is being managed, incl. the covid warning @ the main page. What's going on in other games would make you cringe.

mako482

Post#10 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:13 am

Grock wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:39 am
Kaelang wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:45 am 90 minutes is a long enough time to deter people cross-realming right before forts / cities
Except that it doesn't. Literally nothing stopping you from switching to a differnt faction just before fort/city.
The lockout only enabled after you switch, preventing you from going back

mako482 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 am The population is so unbalanced today....I imagine it is like a snowball effect where people start to see it so they start jumping ship, which even further causes imbalance and causes even more people to jump ship to the more populated side. 90 minutes just doesn't seem like enough. Is there a reasoning behind it?
This is always the problem with "xrealming" complaints. People "imagine" things instead of trying to find actual statistical data or even just logically following in-game design and incentives.

I assessed I would cause a snowball effect....now here it is even more unbalanced than when I made this post. Was I wrong?