Recent Topics

Ads

State of the Realm game ruining addon

Let's talk about... everything else
Grock

Re: State of the Realm game ruining addon

Post#11 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 pm

Drewsephy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:05 pm I'm sure this has been debated before, but I'm going to bring it up again with the influx of new players (myself included). End game T4 RVR all everyone does is stare at State of the Realm and zerg to where the numbers are indicating a push by one faction or the other. How is there WAR with no element of surprise? This makes it, at times, practically impossible to push objectives with the current large server population.

I think this game would be MUCH more fun if this addon didn't exist and coordinated factions could better utilize the element of surprise
You realize people could just communicate via chat channels, like we just did 2-3 years ago? :lol:
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Ads
R3xz

Post#12 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Grock wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 pm
Drewsephy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:05 pm I'm sure this has been debated before, but I'm going to bring it up again with the influx of new players (myself included). End game T4 RVR all everyone does is stare at State of the Realm and zerg to where the numbers are indicating a push by one faction or the other. How is there WAR with no element of surprise? This makes it, at times, practically impossible to push objectives with the current large server population.

I think this game would be MUCH more fun if this addon didn't exist and coordinated factions could better utilize the element of surprise
You realize people could just communicate via chat channels, like we just did 2-3 years ago? :lol:
That's like saying we should all abandon Discord and just use IRC and Ventrillo to do the same thing, like we did 5-20 years ago :P

growill

Post#13 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:48 pm

saupreusse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:09 pm No we would not. And i believe you guys are new here but in fact it was a problem not knowing where ppl were fighting and which keep was attacked in what zone with how many players back when sor wasnt here. It was such a big pain for a lot of folks that the staff themselves asked our addon creator sullemunk to develop state of the realm. And it has been only getting more imlortant from them on. How would i know how much longer i have to defend a fortress or if its time to make one last final push if I wouldnt have sor? Its also showing keep tap timers and city points. How would i know if we are about to win the city fight if it wasnt for sor counting all the instance losses/wins? At this point it is just a must have for everyone.
Well yeah I am new that was just my opinion I may be wrong still that's the impression I get. I'm really not trying to push my view on anyone here but I think that while some informations might be close to a necessity, like counting instances win/loss and some timers I still think that giving the exact number of people from both faction in a determinate area is mental. As someone said which strategist could ever count on "uh let me check from this divine source exactly how many enemy soldiers are in this exact area so I'll decide wethere to attack or not". It just doesn't really sound right. "oh look they suddenly have 100 more ppl here they are definitely getting a ram up" doesn't that kill element of surprise at all?

Again I'm new so I'll just stop here just wanted to give my opinion, and my opinion is that some of this feels very much off

saupreusse
Developer

Post#14 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:55 pm

Drewsephy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 pm
saupreusse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:09 pm
growill wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 pm I agree I think that always knowing what's going on everywhere really ruins it. It's like in UO having a mod which tells you if anyone is doing a champ.

No you just need to communicate with your ream, have people scout around etc. Why should I know exactly how many players the other faction has? Just use your eyes, have stealth classes scout the inside of enemy keeps for informations etc etc.

Ofc people "couldn't play without it". It's like everyone having a car. Ofc noone could go around without a car. Though if actually there were no cars we would all walk around and enjoy the trip more
No we would not. And i believe you guys are new here but in fact it was a problem not knowing where ppl were fighting and which keep was attacked in what zone with how many players back when sor wasnt here. It was such a big pain for a lot of folks that the staff themselves asked our addon creator sullemunk to develop state of the realm. And it has been only getting more imlortant from them on. How would i know how much longer i have to defend a fortress or if its time to make one last final push if I wouldnt have sor? Its also showing keep tap timers and city points. How would i know if we are about to win the city fight if it wasnt for sor counting all the instance losses/wins? At this point it is just a must have for everyone.
SoR reduces the value and the reward associated with communication, coordination, scouting, planning, etc. This game is RvR centered and the name is WARhammer. There is no app in any WAR situation either real life or fiction that counts troop populations at various positions in real time. While it may make YOUR gaming experience much more convenient, it really reduces the complexity of what this game's creators likely intended and turns what could be a very dynamic pvp scene into a straight zergfest.
Do i know what some programmers 11 years ago had in mind? No one does.
At this point the game developers are the guys running this server which i know damn well wanted this addon to be popular. If yiu have so much fun asking in t4 chat where everyone is and spamming that enemies are attacking this and that keep feel free to do so, but i know most wont have none of it. The game was always a zergfest and always will be. You sax sor encourages zerging, i say it does not. We both cant prove our point so its a dull one.

adapter
Suspended

Post#15 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:59 pm

Addons are a way of making the game EASY MODE that's why i dont use them!!

PLAY HARD MODE NO ADDONS! RAW GAME MASTER RACE!!!
Kabuchop / Kabusquig / Kabuterimon / Tentomon

bossabe

Post#16 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:07 pm

growill wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 pm I agree I think that always knowing what's going on everywhere really ruins it. It's like in UO having a mod which tells you if anyone is doing a champ.

No you just need to communicate with your ream, have people scout around etc. Why should I know exactly how many players the other faction has? Just use your eyes, have stealth classes scout the inside of enemy keeps for informations etc etc.

Ofc people "couldn't play without it". It's like everyone having a car. Ofc noone could go around without a car. Though if actually there were no cars we would all walk around and enjoy the trip more
What stealth classes ?

Draugris

Post#17 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 am

I think like many addons it is an improvement to the game but saying that it is unplayable without imho is exaggerated. I also don´t see a problem in giving out that information, with more communication between players / wb leaders the outcome, would be the same.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)

Nekkma

Post#18 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:15 am

Draugris wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 am I also don´t see a problem in giving out that information, with more communication between players / wb leaders the outcome, would be the same.
This is a poor argument as it would undoubtedly be more difficult, which means that most players wont bother, which means that the outcome would not be the same.

I don't use it and the game is perfectly playable without it. Something I have noted is that people just don't bother attacking in a zone when the zonepop according to the addon is a certain way. Personally, I can only see downsides with the addon but as I do not really care for the campaign I'm not really bothered about it.
Nekkma / Hjortron
Zatakk
Smultron

Ads
Drys

Post#19 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:40 am

Drewsephy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 pm SoR reduces the value and the reward associated with communication, coordination, scouting, planning, etc. This game is RvR centered and the name is WARhammer. There is no app in any WAR situation either real life or fiction that counts troop populations at various positions in real time. While it may make YOUR gaming experience much more convenient, it really reduces the complexity of what this game's creators likely intended and turns what could be a very dynamic pvp scene into a straight zergfest.

I disagree and would actually say that SOR enhances coordination within the realm. If your group has a "zerg the zone" mentallity, then you probably don't see it. But if you try to move multiple zones and use SOR to see where you have opportunities to push, need to stall, etc. it does in fact create a more dynamic pvp environment.
Spoiler:
Drystav - Magus 40/6X
Drysthex - Zealot 40/4X
Drystzyk - Chosen 40/5X
Drystax - Mara 24/2X

Drystal - WE 40/5X
Drystmar - DOK 40/4X
Drystelle - Sorc 40/7X
Drysthorn - BG 40/6X

Drystham - Shaman 40/4X
Drystig - SH 40/5X
Drystlak - BOrc 40/4X

cursedflesh

Post#20 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:36 pm

SoR info is great, but maybe will be better for game to disable ability to count current number of ppl in zone for all addons
Garrth - order, Garrmi - destro