Stealth, Stealth Detection and Initiative; how do they work?

Let's talk about... everything else
Caduceus

Stealth, Stealth Detection and Initiative; how do they work?

Post#1 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Hey all,

Information on the topic of stealth detection seems scarce. I have tried consulting people in-game, but none seem certain about the workings of this mechanic. Even experienced WHs/WEs could not tell me with certainty.

One helpful chap told me he thought it works as follows:
- Detection is based on a hard initiative check. If the detector has higher initiative than the stealth class, he is capable of detecting him.
- Detection is threshold-based, and not percentage-based. This would mean having higher initiative than the stealth class gives 100% to detect, and having lower initiative gives 0% to detect.
- Higher initiative does not increase the range at which detection happens. The exact range at which detection happens remains unclear, though.

Another helpful chap told me he thought movement influenced the detection process, expressing that whenever he was stationary, players seemed to have a harder time detecting him than when he was moving.

Is there anyone who can verify these claims, or perhaps even confirm/debunk them with numbers?
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
phononHYPE

Re: Stealth, Stealth Detection and Initiative; how do they work?

Post#2 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm

I had the same question a while back and did the following tests viewtopic.php?f=75&t=32253.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Caduceus

Post#3 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:59 pm

That's very useful information.

So, if I understand it correctly, initiative gives a chance to detect enemies at 40ft. This distance becomes smaller if the stealth class has an advantageous position over you.

Initiative increases the chance that this detection takes places, so it's percentage-based. The initiative of the stealth class plays no role.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Sarnai

Post#4 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:54 am

My experience is also that movement plays a factor. I can not be sure it's happened 100% of the time (but it certainly feels like it) that if I spot a player in stealth and KD them, they would immediately disappear once they became immobilized.
WH looking for gunbad left