Recent Topics

Ads

Realm balancing and cross-realming

Let's talk about... everything else
Nosun

Re: Realm balancing and cross-realming

Post#51 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:14 pm

I would say there is no easy fix for this problem. I have been in ror about a year now and have seen the game go from a massive destro zerg to the point it seems to be at now where it has swapped to a massive order zerg. I do agree it makes the lakes way less fun when the number imbalance gets to be too big. Even if you play the side that is zerging so you don't get run over it's extremely boring having no good fights. We will probably have to wait a bit for people to get bored of basically taking undefended zones and then numbers will get a little better again. I have been playing more destro in the last few weeks even though I have always mained order in ror just because I've gotten so bored zerging empty zones. People unfortunately are going to take the path of less resistance and I have come to realize there is way more people interested in easy mode and just gearing up characters then there is people wanting good fights and balance in population. Even the supposed hardcore best premades mostly end up running over pugs in city. I do not if it's true that they want to avoid each other or maybe it's that destro premades have to que right as city opens while the few premades order runs seem to take time to set up. I would love to see at least what's supposed to be endgame be better fights but honestly like I said before there is way more people interested in running people over than good PvP then I would have guessed.

Ads
xruptor

Post#52 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:01 pm

I don't think there is a simple way to fix this. Well to keep realms balanced that is. It's kind of hard to limit that without a 1:1 login ratio which games have done in the past and just don't work.

Even if they add a 24 hour lockout timer (which I HIGHLY doubt they will EVER do) for factions, lets face it in this day in age there are ways around this. I don't think it's a simple fix.

The only real way to somewhat encourage people to play the underdog is to give them benefits for trying. But then again this can also be abused. So it's a catch 22 situation.

velenne

Post#53 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 pm
marafado wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:40 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:32 pm

What staff member said this?
I dont know any player or staff member that say this, but seems that is was its happen,no?? im i wrong?
If you can't directly quote a staff member, don't make assumptions on intent. It is very disrespectful. We have made attempts to manage cross-realming in several unpopular ways already.
Would you clarify the dev team's approach/vision for the management of cross-realming and city-logging?

If the intent is to permit it, are they open to listening to arguments against it? It seems highly anti-competitive but I understand why people do it (even if I don't agree with them). I've made suggestions for how to deal with it in the appropriate forum.

If the intent is not to permit it, would you comment on any plans to address it?

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#54 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:54 pm

velenne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 pm We have made attempts to manage cross-realming in several unpopular ways already.
Would you clarify the dev team's approach/vision for the management of cross-realming and city-logging?

If the intent is to permit it, are they open to listening to arguments against it? It seems highly anti-competitive but I understand why people do it (even if I don't agree with them). I've made suggestions for how to deal with it in the appropriate forum.

If the intent is not to permit it, would you comment on any plans to address it?
Your line of questions are structured in a way that appear you're trying to find fault, rather than clarity.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

witc0m

Post#55 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:48 pm

VindicoAtrum wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am
Acidic wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 am For me I think it’s wrong to be able to push a fort on one side and then swap sides and fight city on another. This would be fixable(maybe only improved) by something like a 2hour lockout after last rvr pvp flagging.
There “appears” to be gaming the system by pushing city and swapping and that should be stopped.
Anyone seriously pushing for city on one side to swap to the other will have two accounts to bypass xrealm lock entirely. Difficult to expect volunteer gamemasters to police multi-accounting.
As far as I can tell, the lockout is IP based and not account based. Multiple accounts doesn't bypass the faction lockout.

xruptor

Post#56 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:03 pm

witc0m wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:48 pm
VindicoAtrum wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am
Acidic wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 am For me I think it’s wrong to be able to push a fort on one side and then swap sides and fight city on another. This would be fixable(maybe only improved) by something like a 2hour lockout after last rvr pvp flagging.
There “appears” to be gaming the system by pushing city and swapping and that should be stopped.
Anyone seriously pushing for city on one side to swap to the other will have two accounts to bypass xrealm lock entirely. Difficult to expect volunteer gamemasters to police multi-accounting.
As far as I can tell, the lockout is IP based and not account based. Multiple accounts doesn't bypass the faction lockout.
It's IP based? Interesting didn't know that. The Devs are trying, it's just not as easy as some make it seem. I remember this being an issue even on the live servers.

velenne

Post#57 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:28 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:54 pm
velenne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 pm We have made attempts to manage cross-realming in several unpopular ways already.

Your line of questions are structured in a way that appear you're trying to find fault, rather than clarity.
They are not trying to find fault, only clarity.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#58 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:52 pm

velenne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:28 pm
Well, we've put in some mechanics to limit it, so I'm not sure why anyone would assume we want people to behave this way. People feel strongly about it from both perspectives, there isn't universal support for hard locking as some people might desire. From a game design perspective it's not entirely negative, just some aspects that are particularly abusive. Of the hundred different aspects of development to work on from week to week, this doesn't come up frequently and there are other ideas for it.

When someone gets to it, they'll get to it.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
velenne

Post#59 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:51 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:52 pm
velenne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:28 pm
Well, we've put in some mechanics to limit it, so I'm not sure why anyone would assume we want people to behave this way. People feel strongly about it from both perspectives, there isn't universal support for hard locking as some people might desire. From a game design perspective it's not entirely negative, just some aspects that are particularly abusive. Of the hundred different aspects of development to work on from week to week, this doesn't come up frequently and there are other ideas for it.

When someone gets to it, they'll get to it.
I'm just here for the patch day memes and WH hats. You're a gentle desert flower and I love you. :D Please don't take my posts as critical.

Looking at the measures taken so far to limit cross-realming and city logging (and I'm not fully briefed of their extent, only what I've come across so far), I can understand (without passing judgement) the argument that the dev team isn't opposed to the behavior since, given the effort which was in fact made, it didn't seem to actually limit the effect. Thus my line of questions which sought clarity on the matter. I'm not intending to criticize, push or advocate either way, I just want to better understand.

To me, if I'm playing a basketball tournament and losing 110-70 late in the game, I shouldn't have the option to saunter over to the opposing bench, grab a jersey, swap out mine, and follow the other team to the semifinals. Obviously it's not a perfect analogy, but that's the way I approach competition.

I'm curious what the rationale is if, given the opportunity and having taken the time to implement a mechanic to limit the behavior, the effort wasn't made to curtail it entirely.

Kungfumantis

Post#60 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:51 pm

I can't help but wonder that the recent keep respawn change is only encouraging xrealming more. As it stands those changes massively favor the faction with more pop, and defenders can barely even put a defense together because if they try to funnel outer walls they'll all just end up in the WC and the keep will be completely defenseless.

Would you guys be willing to revisit the keep respawn changes, please? Keep defenses have been so incredibly boring since the change. I know you guys wanted zones to push more, but it's getting to the point that people can push through the zones before the city is even off cooldown.
Iskrul 80x Zealot

Kaarnyx 68 DoK

too many other alts worth mentioning!