Recent Topics

Ads

The current meta is making ROR boring

Let's talk about... everything else
iantheace

The current meta is making ROR boring

Post#1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 am

So, i've spoken to alot of people, and literally everybody agrees.

The current meta of the game is boring, if you want to be sucessful in cities with order you need to bring 4-5 slayers. If you want to be sucessful on destro, you need to bring 4 choppas. Then the rest can be 'other' melee dps, ranged DPS are basically left with nearly no role. This is all because of the below.

There was a change awhile back, to increase choppa/slayer aoe to 24 man cap. This brought choppa and slayer to the forefront of the meta, but it has also had the unintended consequence of pushing all of the other AOE classes totally out of it. Choppa/slayer naturally mitigate defence than say a BW/Sorc too.

There was then a subsequent change to nerf morales, meaning your 'non dedicated aoe' DPS, now struggle to contribute to making kills.

So, now whether i am playing order or destro, its a game of find the choppas, or find the slayers, and with the lack of slayers on order, this is tilting instances even further the wrong way. Slayers objectively are probably better, but who wants to be a belly boy when they can be an angry orc :) but thats another convo.

Maybe in light of all this, we just roll slayer/choppa back to the old 9 targets, and hopefully the game gets interesting again :). I will take a break until the meta changes, just because its boring - you never change strategy now, its the same every time, because to compete, you always run a static setup.

Ads
TreefAM

Re: The current meta is making ROR boring

Post#2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:02 am

I don't think that single tactic changed that since it affects only one ability that's sometimes used as a filler, slayers were always wanted with the high pressure they dish out with using ID during rampage and retribution channeling.

iantheace

Post#3 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:04 am

Slayers were always wanted, but not always essential. Either way, the meta is fooked :) I think back to a 9 man cap would definitely be a start

TreefAM

Post#4 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 am

Well they were essential for cities to work, it's just during the first few months people were still sticking to the old morale bomb meta with bws, people learned how to break this and people finally started realizing that slayers are actually good.

lyncher12

Post#5 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:12 am

thought this would be about the siege meta in orvr not about a tactic that almost no one uses

iantheace

Post#6 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:14 am

lyncher12 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:12 am thought this would be about the siege meta in orvr not about a tactic that almost no one uses
It's not about this tactic, i'm just wondering if removing it may help. The current meta is pure melee.

TreefAM

Post#7 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:22 am

But that's because of how the cities are designed, there's not much you can do as ranged, and even before bw stacks were moving as a deathball, so you couldn't really consider those ranged either.

xruptor

Post#8 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:31 am

well that kinda sucks when all I ever play is ranged characters.... oh well

Ads
wonshot

Post#9 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:38 am

The meta went through the same on Live, for city sieges though.

BW meta was replaced by more of a 50/50 singletaget/aoe spread due to how ressing is still crazy fast and not punishing enough in this game. So singletarget alone will rarely force the wipe. Having some sort of aoe pressure will make the snap singletarget assist kills stick as a healer dead, or ressing will leave the group vurnable and here comes the snowball followed by a potential wipe or atleast pushed into recovery phase and lost tempo.

So what does this actually mean. Well casters can get softcapped int around conq/vanq gear level, where as melee dps with more gear tiers can get higher mainstat, weaponskill and higher weapon dps. Slowly alone on this factor pushing them a little ahead over casters who still benefit from a 40% resist softcap advantage but low mobility, limmited kite tools in fairly narrow street brawls.

Now with the changes to morales, some of these none-instant-M2 classes who can bring a low cooldown ST healdebuff, some aoe cleave burst, mobility and function in narrow cities will automatically be sought after to fill the hybrid role they excell at. Especially since the casters got shafted on Granted abilities on Sove sets and being stuck in old Vanq/onslaught/4sove mixes with even lower armor values.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Sinisterror

Post#10 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 am

Something " needs " to change. I have no idea how to get out of this but limiting ae cap back 9-12 for slayers&choppers and maybe for few classes who dont aoe at all or close to that, give em a bit of aoe that hits 9 targets. Maybe When you use aoe attack as melee you need to use single target attack before you can use another aoe attack ? There was warlord bonus live that gave wp's purge to get rid of 2 effects. IS there any ae purging or removing 2 effect on single target? I dont know but something.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz