Recent Topics

Ads

Dismounting and Combat

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Caduceus

Dismounting and Combat

Post#1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:00 am

Hey all,

Something that has been on my mind lately, is the strange way mounts and dismounting works in Return of Reckoning.

Dismounting is based on random chance, with better mounts giving a higher chance of staying mounted upon taking direct damage.

One area where this has a particular impact is in solo/small-scale combat, where an unlucky streak can result in melee classes being able to close the distance on a ranged class completely (consider also that some ranged classes only have limited instant casts to try and dismount), potentially providing them with a huge advantage in fights. I've even witnessed opponents choosing to remount during combat to make use of this! Clever use of game mechanics to be sure, but perhaps a little bit too much.

Note that this mechanic gives an advantage to melee classes in particular, where it potentially acts as an extra gap-closer. For ranged classes the utility is limited.

We ought to ask ourselves whether this type of mechanic is desirable, given the precarious balance of solo/small-scale PvP. What purpose does it really serve to make dismounting chance-based, and why wouldn't it be better to simply make players get dismounted upon taking any type of direct damage? This would take (pointless) RNG out of the equation and avoid unnecessary pressure on the small-scale meta.

Thanks,

- Caduceus
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Spellbound

Re: Dismounting and Combat

Post#2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 am

Mounting shouldn’t be allowed while you’re in combat. Shouldn’t be a means of fighting, just for travel to get around.

wanna993

Post#3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 am

I agree, should dismount on combat instantly BUT make time in combat shorter. Currently you're in combat for 10s, lower it slightly to offset what would be a "nerf" (to rng).

TreefAM

Post#4 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:24 am

Learn to kite lol