Recent Topics

Ads

What are tanks doing next to a ram when its sieging a keep door?

Let's talk about... everything else
pikumexi4

What are tanks doing next to a ram when its sieging a keep door?

Post#1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:15 pm

I just hit level 16 and I'm trying to learn the ropes of T4 tank play. I see 2-4 tanks standing around a ram but I can't figure out what they're doing. Doesn't look like hold the line. Just standing in a ready to attck position. Are those tanks helping with the battering ram damage? I assumed it was the person who bought the ram that was in control of it and its function. I've seen people screaming not to touch the ram, so I didn't want to try and find out the hard way.
Last edited by pikumexi4 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Rockalypse
Former Staff

Re: What are tanks doing next to a ram when its sieging a keep door?

Post#2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:24 pm

Ram has 4 spots, if atleast one is empty, when you click it (while dismounted) you go "inside ram". There you partake in minigame of clicking "swing" in time. Depeding on how good people in ram are swinging - different amount of damage is dealt to door.

Wuhh

Post#3 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:33 pm

ideally they are holding the line, or guarding one of the tanks on the ram, challenging too.

Rubius
Developer

Post#4 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Exactly as Rockalypse said - the more people on the ram (up to 4 max), the more damage done per swing.

If all 4 people consistently hit high numbers in the mini-game, it can make the siege quite a bit faster.

Placing the ram onto the door can be a little tricky sometimes, and this is why you'll see people shouting not to touch it, so that someone who is experienced with it can make sure it's placed properly. Hope this sheds some light on the ram & tank role and process!

Vri

Post#5 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Working ram, guarding ram team, protecting ram and filling in open spots if a ram team member is killed or knocked away.

marisco

Post#6 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:21 am

Ram has spot for 4 players. If you manage to be one of these 4, a minigame will popup where you need to click to stop a pointer inside a casting bar before it reaches a certain spot. If you allow the pointer to move past that spot, you only do 50% ramming damage. The key is trying to allow the pointer to reach closest possible to that spot, since the ramming damage is based on how far you can make the pointer go before the dropoff point. If you stop too soon the damage is reduced too. It's easy enough, but lag and input delay can make it challenging sometimes.

When people say "Fill ram" it means that ram has empty spots and they want tanks to help with the battering mini game.

zak68

Post#7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:21 am

pikumexi4 wrote: ...I assumed it was the person who bought the ram that was in control of it and its function.
not necessarily ; any player enrolled in a lvl 20+ guild can summon a ram while standing in proximity of his friendly keep. once summoned any mounted player can tow it. to deploy the ram the towing player has to be in contact with the enemy keep door (i mean literally face planting in the door's wood) and then dismounts. once deployed any player can control it ; the first player that clicks on a deployed ram controls the ram , he must first press the "aim" button while having the door targeted (otherwise you get the "no target" message on every swing and deal no damage), then he's the one that starts the swinging action as described by others.
pikumexi4 wrote: I've seen people screaming not to touch the ram, so I didn't want to try and find out the hard way.
when the ram is not manned every mounted player can tow it. since oil does not damage it but only enemy players and siege can, if you esteem that those pose no serious threat then the ram can be left at the enemy keep door ; as others as already said, sometimes placing it can be difficult.

there are some special rules applied to this siege equip (if anyone spots any error i will edit accordingly).
. rams are available once the friendly keep has reached level 2+ and the "ram available" message has been broacasted
. if the player that summoned the ram disconnects or crashes, the ram will despawn
. if the ram is left untowed it will despawn in matter of minutes
. if the ram is towed outside the rvr zone it will despawn
. if the ram is destroyed there's a delay of about 10mins before another one is made available

PlagueMonk

Post#8 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 pm

Please forgive me but I want to take a tangent off this topic.......

I am playing 4 classes atm and all have "siege" abilities but usually when I try to activate one of them I get some grey text with a 140XXXXX number telling me it's not functioning. Are most of them broke or is there something I need to do to get them to work?

About the only siege ability I have gotten to work is the WL ability to pass through an enemy postern.

Ads
Skullgrin

Post#9 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 pm Please forgive me but I want to take a tangent off this topic.......

I am playing 4 classes atm and all have "siege" abilities but usually when I try to activate one of them I get some grey text with a 140XXXXX number telling me it's not functioning. Are most of them broke or is there something I need to do to get them to work?

About the only siege ability I have gotten to work is the WL ability to pass through an enemy postern.

All the siege abilities except for the postern bypass have been deactivated by the Devs. No clue as to when/if they will be reactivated, the same has been done to renown & PvE tactics and also some of the renown abilities you could get on Live.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

PlagueMonk

Post#10 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:50 pm

Skullgrin wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm
PlagueMonk wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 pm Please forgive me but I want to take a tangent off this topic.......

All the siege abilities except for the postern bypass have been deactivated by the Devs. No clue as to when/if they will be reactivated, the same has been done to renown & PvE tactics and also some of the renown abilities you could get on Live.

Ah well that explains it! Thanks for letting me know so I can take those off my bar :)