Recent Topics

Ads

Toughness damage reduction

Let's talk about... everything else
CountTalabecland

Re: Toughness damage reduction

Post#11 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:29 pm

bendoman wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:58 am Toughness became a very important and powerful stat since recent changes.
I must have missed this while off being garbage tier dps.

Can you explain what changed? Is it now a matter of getting as much toughness no matter what?
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Ads
yvandureve02200

Post#12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:28 pm

Even with all the explainations i have seen on this forum, i don't clearly understand how Toughness work.

Is it a raw damage reduction ? Like "Spell should do 100 dmg, i have 90 dmg reduction due to my toughnes, the spell do 10dmg to me" or there is more deep mechanics not explained in the character sheet ?

Rapzel

Post#13 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:54 pm

yvandureve02200 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:28 pm Even with all the explainations i have seen on this forum, i don't clearly understand how Toughness work.

Is it a raw damage reduction ? Like "Spell should do 100 dmg, i have 90 dmg reduction due to my toughnes, the spell do 10dmg to me" or there is more deep mechanics not explained in the character sheet ?
Think of it as the counter to bs/int/str.
If someone has 1050 str and hits someone with an attack that has 1050, they should cancel out and the ability would only do base damage (then add armor/resist mitigation).

Why, who and when?
So it's a decent stat against abilities that have low or ignore mitigation (i.e. Torment/agonizing wounds, spirit/corp/elemental damage), for tanks the issue here is that guard damage ignores any of your stats except block and parry and since you usually already have high amount of block/disrupt/dodge/parry.

So there's really two options;
1 you put it on a DPS which doesn't make much sense in a group as you have guard and heals to sustain.
2 solo play (often on tanks, since with high toughness and regen you can just ignore certain other avoidance losses) and you play around surviving longer than your enemy, not out damaging h**.

Ekundu01

Post#14 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 pm

yvandureve02200 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:28 pm Even with all the explainations i have seen on this forum, i don't clearly understand how Toughness work.

Toughness reduces stat contribution the attacking player has on skills 1 to 1 when hitting you. So what that means is all attacks other than morales have a stat associated with them that increases the base damage, how much extra bonus is based off the class/coefficient of the stat modifier on that skill.

The stats toughness works on are Str, Ballistics, and intell. So lets say you are a tank you just hit 40 and don't really have great gear but you have 500 toughness. You come across a dps that has 900 str. Your toughness cancels out 500 of his 900 str leaving him with only 400 str for stat contribution to add extra damage to the skills. That dps still has 900 str but when hitting you it they get 500 of the str contrib for bonus damage on skills mitigated out.

All stats have some sort of counter to bonuses that other stats add.
Toughness vs All damage stats
Str vs Weapon skill parry bonus
Ballistics vs Initiative dodge bonus
Intell vs Willpower disrupt bonus
Trismack

DirkDaring

Post#15 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 pm

This is from live, and while some things have changed, the basic Formula is still close, it`s best to rely on more than 1 defensive stat having a little of each is not bad.

Toughness is good provided you can get high enough 750 + with 10000 wounds . combined with low tbc, and high armor,

wounds vs Toughness , and basic defense formulas

https://mrmeh.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/ ... -defenses/

Grock

Post#16 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Not all abilities benefit from stats/dps bonus, those that don't have it aren't affected by toughness either.
Some abilities have very high base damage and get comparatively little from stats, so toughness would appear to affect them less than others.

How much you gain from stats is different for every ability, especially aoe, dots and channeled abilities. (although single target direct damage abilities seem to follow the same rule of 100% dps per second of casttime, but no less than 150%)

it`s best to rely on more than 1 defensive stat having a little of each is not bad.
considering how defensive things stack in this game its quite the opposite - having little of everything is less effective than heavy investment in few things
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Omegus

Post#17 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Ignore all the stuff about toughness mitigation caps; it no longer applies and a lot of the advice given at the time was incorrect anyway.

The relevant Strength/Ballistic Skil/Intelligence stat (and the matching Power stat) contribute towards attack damage. Before the bonus damage provided by those stats is calculated, they are first reduced by the defender's Toughness. What's left is then used to calculate the bonus damage. The scaling for this varies from ability to ability, with some bonus damage types getting no bonus at all. 1000 strength vs 500 toughness is the same as 500 strength vs 0 toughness.

And yes, if the defender's toughness is higher then it would result in a damage penalty rather than a damage boost.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

w0000t

Post#18 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:49 pm

what about magic/range/melee power? Is it the same as int/ballistic/strength?

Ads
BluIzLucky

Post#19 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 pm

w0000t wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:49 pm what about magic/range/melee power? Is it the same as int/ballistic/strength?
Literally answered in the post before yours.. :lol:
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Grock

Post#20 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 pm

w0000t wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:49 pm what about magic/range/melee power? Is it the same as int/ballistic/strength?
yes, the only differences is that "power" isn't included when parry/dodge/disrupt bonus from stats is calculated, and you can keep stacking "power" with no penalty even if your normal stat is at soft cap
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)