Recent Topics

Ads

Why am I not invincible with 1200 toughness?

Let's talk about... everything else
Alandrian

Why am I not invincible with 1200 toughness?

Post#1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:02 am

Ok, kinda a silly question perhaps, but I'm trying to understand more in-depth how stats work and am confused. It would be great if the devs made an official 'how stats work' thread rather than having to go through old stat-related posts and patch notes to try and figure it out for yourself.

Simple question:
As a full deftard SnB BG, I can reach 1200 toughness with tactics. As far as I understand, the 75% toughness cap was removed a few months ago. And toughness is supposed to negate an enemy's primary stat (strength, intelligence, ballistic skill etc). So with 1200 toughness I can negate pretty much anyone's primary stat, so they have 0 strength/intelligence/ballistic . So why do they still do damage to me?

Thanks!

Ads
yhani

Re: Why am I not invincible with 1200 toughness?

Post#2 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 am

because toughness prevent dmg-bonus, not ability-damage?
Vadhal - kotbs rr80+

Alandrian

Post#3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:22 am

yhani wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 am because toughness prevent dmg-bonus, not ability-damage?
So each ability has a 'base damage' amount that it does even if you have 0 strength/intelligence/ballistic skill?

Zxul

Post#4 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am

Toughness can prevent ability dmg as well, if you have more of it than attacker's str.

Of cause, since most mdps have a soft capped str + some extra melee power, while soft cap on toughness is 1050, it is not likely to happen vs mdps.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

yhani

Post#5 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am

Alandrian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:22 am
yhani wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 am because toughness prevent dmg-bonus, not ability-damage?
So each ability has a 'base damage' amount that it does even if you have 0 strength/intelligence/ballistic skill?
I am quite sure about that, yes
Vadhal - kotbs rr80+

Alandrian

Post#6 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:46 am

Zxul wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am
Of cause, since most mdps have a soft capped str + some extra melee power, while soft cap on toughness is 1050, it is not likely to happen vs mdps.

But the devs said there is no cap on toughness anymore.

Also, does toughness negate melee power too or just strength?

Zxul

Post#7 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 am

Alandrian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:46 am
Zxul wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am

But the devs said there is no cap on toughness anymore.

Also, does toughness negate melee power too or just strength?
Every stat has a 1050 soft cap, the cap which was removed was 75% cap on toughness mitigation.

And toughness works vs melee power as well (works vs any source of dmg which isn't procs or morales).
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

dalen
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 am

for a physical attack it is basically like this:

(<ability base damage> + <weapon DPS> * <weapon DPS multiplier> + (<offensive stat> - <toughness>) * 0.2 * <primary stat multiplier>) * <damage multiplier>

Then after that you get absorbs, crit, armor mitigation & guard damage splitting.

But as you can see the base damage will vary. And even if you have more toughness than the offensive stat of the attacker, how much of the base damage you remove will depend on how high the primary stat multiplier for the attack is.
Source Developer

Ads
kmark101

Post#9 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 pm

dalen wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 am for a physical attack it is basically like this:

(<ability base damage> + <weapon DPS> * <weapon DPS multiplier> + (<offensive stat> - <toughness>) * 0.2 * <primary stat multiplier>) * <damage multiplier>

Then after that you get absorbs, crit, armor mitigation & guard damage splitting.

But as you can see the base damage will vary. And even if you have more toughness than the offensive stat of the attacker, how much of the base damage you remove will depend on how high the primary stat multiplier for the attack is.

So where does Weaponskill gets involved for physical dps classes in that equation?
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

desizt

Post#10 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 pm

kmark101 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 pm
dalen wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 am for a physical attack it is basically like this:

So where does Weaponskill gets involved for physical dps classes in that equation?
Weaponskill just calculates armor penetration... not damage itself
Nonoffensive - WE
Faceburn - BW
+ tons of misc alts

~ First rr100 WE on live.
~ First WE with 1+ million RvR kills on live.

Download RoR Client directly via Google Drive(updated 04 Oct 2020)