Recent Topics

Ads

Why pug.

Let's talk about... everything else
Zxul

Why pug.

Post#1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Fact number 1- most of players pug, only few run in actual organized wbs.
Fact number 2- specially with how most RoR players are in adult age group, most players RL speaking have jobs, and as such usually know well enough how to works as a team.

Possible conclusions- either somehow people are just unable to organize in rvr (not likely), or most people are able to organize but specifically don't want to, beyond necessary minimum (pug wb). Which leads to funny consequences, specially that RoR even more then AoR tries to push into organized gameplay (to which pug replies with "f..c no"). If someone has a different explanation, feel free to post one.

(meme stolen from Asderas27 on discord)
(also, RL work speaking I am a small team's leader and work in large size organization, also in RoR I solo roam most of the time, and only join/make wbs when there is no other way to get bags/royals)
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
Amorphium

Re: Why pug.

Post#2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:48 pm

i think most people want to relax and slay some order/destro with their friends, not tryhard 24/7

Freerider

Post#3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 pm

Most people just play in a casual way where they will roll whatever they want without worrying about min-maxing, realm balance or warband utility. Most people just want to log in and have a few fight without having to use discord or joining a guild or whatever. You could roll a bw and be a meta class who will get invited to anywhere and just need a healer to be able to do his job. Or you could roll a SW dont give a **** about going to city someday and just pew pew or slash slash destro.

RathBrand

Post#4 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:18 pm

My main in a WP healer, so I need to be in a warband to really contribute to anything. The more organized the better so I usually run with my guild or alliance wbs which do their best to do 2-2-2 and play the objectives. Unorganized pug wbs are usually more frustrating than their worth unless they have a good leader.

However, I'll run with pugs wbs in a few situations:
  • I'm on a lowbie DPS alt
  • guild or alliance wbs are full or not running
  • I'm in city or fort and just need any wb
I'd almost never run completely alone with no wb, though.

Starx

Post#5 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:37 pm

People pug because they are afraid of having to perform well, or the polar opposite dont want to group up with bad players if thats all they have available.

Premades usually also require some level of communication via discord, so you need a mic and you need to listen.

A lot of people are really lazy if you havent noticed haha.

Arthem

Post#6 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 pm

This is more like a place to remember the game, not a try hard environment at all. The competitive level is extremely low. Think of it like a nostalgia thing. On top of that the loot system rewards quantitive play not quality. As you said it yourself, most of the server are old players they are just looking to relax and play some good old Warhammer Online.

Lyability

Post#7 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Starx wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:37 pm People pug because they are afraid of having to perform well, or the polar opposite dont want to group up with bad players if thats all they have available.

Premades usually also require some level of communication via discord, so you need a mic and you need to listen.

Exactly this.

And as a PUGer, I think balance is way out of whack in this game, and tossing all T2+ together is frankly quite **** stupid. We have two groups of people here, those that can twink and those that cannot. Unfortunately, people that say its fine, are those that have been here for a long long time and can afford to roll alts and twink them. I can't even afford a mount until I hit lvl 20, and people telling me to get full talis at 16? WUT?! Bro I Can't afford armor. We playing the same game?

As a new player, I follow the zerg, not learning a god damn thing. No idea how to play my class. Not gonna commit to a small group, because I'm mediocre at best and don't want to earn a bad rep because I never had to play my class properly, my gear suck because I can't afford better. I'd love to learn and skill up, but as a lvl 16-20 non twinked character going up against lvl 40 in sov? Yeah ok I'll just die now. Where is the fun? Where is the challenge or the excitement of learning how to play?

I haven't logged in in weeks, I hang out to see if there is any significant balance changes. I keep checking the forum less and less. JoIn a GuiLD they say.... guilds want 40+ in good gear. That leaves us new players out.

Aethilmar

Post#8 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:34 pm

"Pugs are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get."

Keeps things interesting.

Ads
Wam

Post#9 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Lyability wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:15 pm
Starx wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:37 pm People pug because they are afraid of having to perform well, or the polar opposite dont want to group up with bad players if thats all they have available.

Exactly this.

And as a PUGer, I think balance is way out of whack in this game, and tossing all T2+ together is frankly quite **** stupid. We have two groups of people here, those that can twink and those that cannot. Unfortunately, people that say its fine, are those that have been here for a long long time and can afford to roll alts and twink them. I can't even afford a mount until I hit lvl 20, and people telling me to get full talis at 16? WUT?! Bro I Can't afford armor. We playing the same game?

As a new player, I follow the zerg, not learning a god damn thing. No idea how to play my class. Not gonna commit to a small group, because I'm mediocre at best and don't want to earn a bad rep because I never had to play my class properly, my gear suck because I can't afford better. I'd love to learn and skill up, but as a lvl 16-20 non twinked character going up against lvl 40 in sov? Yeah ok I'll just die now. Where is the fun? Where is the challenge or the excitement of learning how to play?

I haven't logged in in weeks, I hang out to see if there is any significant balance changes. I keep checking the forum less and less. JoIn a GuiLD they say.... guilds want 40+ in good gear. That leaves us new players out.
what is your class? and usual time zone? and preference of fight?
Wamizzle Guild Leader [TUP]
Wamizzle Guild Leader [The Unlikely Plan]

Wam

Post#10 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:48 pm

Zxul wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 pm Fact number 1- most of players pug, only few run in actual organized wbs.
Fact number 2- specially with how most RoR players are in adult age group, most players RL speaking have jobs, and as such usually know well enough how to works as a team.

Possible conclusions- either somehow people are just unable to organize in rvr (not likely), or most people are able to organize but specifically don't want to, beyond necessary minimum (pug wb). Which leads to funny consequences, specially that RoR even more then AoR tries to push into organized gameplay (to which pug replies with "f..c no"). If someone has a different explanation, feel free to post one.

(meme stolen from Asderas27 on discord)
(also, RL work speaking I am a small team's leader and work in large size organization, also in RoR I solo roam most of the time, and only join/make wbs when there is no other way to get bags/royals)
Zero commitment is reason to join a pug... you have little obligation for x y z of your time or effort, It's a mutual benefical mercenary arrangement of the lowest quality if you lack better alternatives or just want brain dead ez leach (zerg ride)

It can be a way to level alts or learn them with less expectation but also less support, some people like RNG, some people are anti social, some like pain ... so minimum fuss suits them (affraid to talk to other people in a mmo)

Pugs are pugs, big hit and miss depending on whose leading and core setup / composition. Some good last hours and achieve their objectives, some bad and disband without trace.

But to be honest half the time in a pug you often lack the proper support (other people furfilling their role properly and meeting their expected (even by casual standards) end of the bargain so you are usually better off in a smaller group that knows what its doing and not sharing reward renown/medals/contri with people who leach off you) I.e tanks not guard, healers do not hot or run right tactics because they do not feel like it or lack knowledge / awareness... so they become a liability and take reward from your effort when there's is usually low standard to almost non existent.
Wamizzle Guild Leader [TUP]
Wamizzle Guild Leader [The Unlikely Plan]