Recent Topics

Ads

Realm Class Balance vs Unique Class Identity

Let's talk about... everything else
teiloh

Re: Realm Class Balance vs Unique Class Identity

Post#71 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:14 am

zij83 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:55 am During the Q&A it was stated that they will not get rid of rampage followed by, and this is a direct quote, "sorry not sorry". I've given up yelling about how broken it is because at that point it was pretty clear to me that they don't care what feedback you give about rampage. If I am wrong and someone from the dev team is open to hearing feedback on rampage then by all means correct me.
What kind of effectiveness are you expecting on Rampage vs say, Squig Piercing Defenses + BG's Howl? That's -25% defenses right there. Order doesn't have anything quite like it (BG defense debuff).

Between what the Slayer gets through with his own Strength and defense debuffs, Rampage isn't much more than an effective 10-15% to-hit, I'm guessing, unless it's vs a Parry/Block stacking Chosen while he's guarding. Maybe some testing can be done here.

Ads
Sofong

Post#72 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:16 am

kmark101 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 pm OP is extremely biased guy.

You cry a nerf to Rampage, being undefendable is breaking the game, at the same time you call TANKS equal (rofl...) with destro tanks having self morale pump, which results black orks dropping bellows some 20 seconds into any fight - guess what, just at the same time you get to yellow rage as slayer, activate rampage and get to yellow rage again to hit... and that 1,200 damage aoe is also undefendable because it's morale... so what is balanced now here? Black orks reaching instant 1,200 undefendable aoe drop vs slayers doing some 300 damage undefendable hit for 10-20 sec?

Also you call healers "balanced", with DoK class existing in the game in its current form and forgetting about unkillable shamans...

And then you cite sorcs being "slightly better" ST, wtf are you smoking really, the fact that spirit damage type debuff is 2-3x the value of order's elemental debuff capabilities should tell you something... BW is better in aoe, right, but sorc is not "slightly" better in ST, it's lightyears better, thanks to how debuffs are distributed between the factions.
slayer only need 5s to get to yellow, forum became a joke becos of this order nonsense and full of fake infos spreading.

teiloh

Post#73 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:17 am

emiliorv wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 am
The working as intended...how can say that, since live cap target was 9, its imposible to know if anything affected by that cap increase is "working as intended" compared to live...
Sorc is better because it has a better AOE rotation and better group support. The resist/CD increase/decrease imbalance is huge and favors Destro overwhelmingly, not to mention tank morale builders that get you 15% uptime on Immaculate Defense. Magus alone is an absurdly strong AOE class that Destro is too close-minded to even attempt, even though all the tooltip numbers are right there for everyone to see.

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#74 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 am

teiloh wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:17 am
emiliorv wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 am
The working as intended...how can say that, since live cap target was 9, its imposible to know if anything affected by that cap increase is "working as intended" compared to live...
Sorc is better because it has a better AOE rotation and better group support. The resist/CD increase/decrease imbalance is huge and favors Destro overwhelmingly, not to mention tank morale builders that get you 15% uptime on Immaculate Defense. Magus alone is an absurdly strong AOE class that Destro is too close-minded to even attempt, even though all the tooltip numbers are right there for everyone to see.
funny you saying that and you even didnt play sorcerer since live servers **** FUNNY.

zij83

Post#75 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 am

teiloh wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:14 am
zij83 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:55 am During the Q&A it was stated that they will not get rid of rampage followed by, and this is a direct quote, "sorry not sorry". I've given up yelling about how broken it is because at that point it was pretty clear to me that they don't care what feedback you give about rampage. If I am wrong and someone from the dev team is open to hearing feedback on rampage then by all means correct me.
What kind of effectiveness are you expecting on Rampage vs say, Squig Piercing Defenses + BG's Howl? That's -25% defenses right there. Order doesn't have anything quite like it (BG defense debuff).

Between what the Slayer gets through with his own Strength and defense debuffs, Rampage isn't much more than an effective 10-15% to-hit, I'm guessing, unless it's vs a Parry/Block stacking Chosen while he's guarding. Maybe some testing can be done here.
If rampage did the same thing as BG furious howl or SH pierce defenses or maybe even a bit more lets go wild and say 50%, I think that would be fine. By Slayers being able to mitigate block/parry completely you're removing an entire archetype (tank) from the equation. On my full Sov SnB Black Orc I have on multiple occasions had my guard and myself go from 100 to 0 by a slayerball before healers even got a chance to react. It's such a cheap ability that requires 0 skill to pull off, have 3-4 slayers with invader armor pen bonuses, profit. The solution to a slayerball is running away until they aren't rampaging. That's just dumb and makes for boring gameplay.

Gurf

Post#76 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am

zij83 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 am
teiloh wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:14 am

If rampage did the same thing as BG furious howl or SH pierce defenses or maybe even a bit more lets go wild and say 50%, I think that would be fine. By Slayers being able to mitigate block/parry completely you're removing an entire archetype (tank) from the equation. On my full Sov SnB Black Orc I have on multiple occasions had my guard and myself go from 100 to 0 by a slayerball before healers even got a chance to react. It's such a cheap ability that requires 0 skill to pull off, have 3-4 slayers with invader armor pen bonuses, profit. The solution to a slayerball is running away until they aren't rampaging. That's just dumb and makes for boring gameplay.
Its the one counter to the Destro melee ball which dominated the server and City instances for so many months, its the one circumstance where Destro has to spread out rather than bunch up if they come across 5-6 Slayers (which is rare), Slayers can't pull you into their meat grinder like the Choppa can. That is what seems to bother many people that they have to use different tactics when facing a bunch of Slayers than they would against normal Order Warbands who usually have a weaker melee ball. Also to get it to work it isn't like you press Rampage and everything dies, what do you think combines with Rampage to do the good aoe Damage? You can't spam Flurry and kills hordes of people, the combination is Rampage and Retribution and Retribution is a channel which is interrupted by just about any CC going including Taunt, its also a 30 ft skill so just spread out and move away if you see lots of Slayers doing it at the same time. Its easy to spot they are all waving their arms around like maniacs.

Rampage is by far the most overrated skill on Destro, people saying they just press the skill and everything dies have no idea or they only play in Pugs, but I will admit the main place it is most powerful is Fort Defence when you can slot Power through tactic so you don't drop rage without having to worry too much about melting before getting it off.

metroid24

Post#77 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:30 am

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:44 pm
metroid24 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:44 pm Rampage threads are like warm blankets at this point. It is working as intended according to the data we have in the client files. Whether or not it gets changed in the future was left wide open, but methinks people hear what they want to hear.
If you dont mind me asking, which data is this and are you able to share it with the community? What class do you play , or are you seeing this only from the order side of things? I wonder if anyone who has a say in Class Balance and the power to do something about it is playing Destruction at the moment. We could really do with someone who has a neutral view in this. All we are asking for is a fair balance and if you have played forts/cities it is blatantly obvious that Rampage is Scale tipping and cumulative with how many Slayers are in an area doing their AoEs, put on top the far greater AoE pressure Bright Wizards have over Sorcerer's in chokepoints. So the data would have to be from forts and well, i think there is plenty of evidence how those types of fights go....

-Forgot to mention that Engineers get Auto Attack damage, where Maguses get none. That is a few thousand damage over 10-15s missing there.....
The client data is what was leftover from live that informs us how abilities need to be constructed in order to line up with tooltips and effects. Early in the project we didn't have access to it, and had to rely on whatever we could find from live, be that videos of abilities working, old tooltips, player accounts for finer details on things, it was essentially a mess and we didn't have good ways to verify anything. As we've been able to get into client files and decode what they actually mean, it's helped inform how these abilities are actually designed to perform, rather than how they were implemented from a server code perspective. So when I say "it's working as intended" that means the server code is doing what the client code is expecting.

All the devs and contributors in balance are more than capable of evaluating class balance from a neutral perspective, and in fact are doing so with the best intentions for the class to be successful in their intended roles regardless of the faction they're from. Otherwise, they simply wouldn't be active on the balance team. We don't need people who are only interested in providing a benefit for their own faction, and I believe the vast majority of people are capable of making honest assessments while acknowledging personal bias. They just choose not to in open discussions, as if balance is some polarized battle that needs to be won. I explained during the Q&A, our goals in balance are not to mirror classes or make X class on Destro equivalent to Y class on Order, even for the more mirrored ones. We would prefer classes to be less mirrored over time and more unique. We're looking at what needs each class has and making small adjustments. Larger reworks are much more rare and take more time to implement.

If anything based on your posts today, your view on balance is blatantly biased towards Destro. We can absolutely work with passionate opinions and design suggestions from people who are openly biased, that's not a problem at all. What you might want to consider is that asking devs to approach balance from a neutral perspective means that many of their opinions on balance changes are not going to match up with your own openly biased opinions. I don't want you to think we're being unfair if decisions aren't made that fit your perspective, but clearly that's going to be a reality if you're hard set on supporting one side over the other. What frequently tempers balance threads like this much more often comes down to realm failures to organize and perform, the actual class balance is far closer than you're giving it credit for if you want to lay blame for realm defeat as the balance teams responsibility. We don't make balance decisions based on who is zerging one realm or the other.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the organized well written response. We cannot stress enough the work RoR staff are putting in are so much appreciated, Dev's , GM's, moderators. Everyone involved past and present helped give us the game we love and enjoy to play.

The old live data for abilities and how they function was for an AoE cap of 9 people? So the increased cap to 24 people would AoE abilities not have very different impacts in Warband/Large scale ORVR play? I think rather than old server data , since the AoE cap was increased the results are obvious in certain scenarios such as chokepoints and forts and i would argue that all is "Working as intended".

I play both sides, i do not realm swap all the time but when i do i play it with all my heart, not to milk the RvR system to swap for fort/keep defenses and get bags. I have played since the very first day from Live again both realms so i have alot of experience in classes and mechanics. My view on balance seems blatantly biased towards Destro and mostly towards large scale RvR play because there are a few abilities on Order side that require almost no skill to use with massive cumulative and beneficial results in an AoE environment.

If you do not intend to change major abilities like Rampage and the way they work, could we redesign Fort gameplay so such abilities as Rain of Fire (Funnel Power, Fire Proc, Proc tactic, Dot tactic) and Slayers out of line of sight spamming AoE abilities hitting 24 players in a chokepoint and being undefendable be less impacting? It is literally easymode. From what i have seen such abilities in smaller scale RvR have less impact than say 100 v 100. Suggestions for Fort gameplay to make it more interesting and competitive could be made under a new thread. Is that something we could look into?

My perspective is really a birds eye view of the overall experience for both sides. Me wanting to to tip the scales in favor of Destro could not be farther from the truth. I simply love this game and do not want people from either sides to quit due to severe balance issues. You are very correct that realm defeat or wins are the responsibility of the organization of the Realm and ability to rally together, make proper compositions, and coordinate, but the results remain and are there for everyone to see in plain sight. Whether they will admit it or not.

You are also correct the actual class balance is quite close if we break it down to a 1 v 1 , 6 v 6 and in that scale, i would just argue the fact that Destruction do not have a long ranged knockdown available, as opposed to Orders 2. I think giving the Ranged Squig Herder a knockdown same like the Shadow Warrior and bring it more in line on DPS with the ST ranged SW would go a very long way. More Melee Squigs would again play Ranged Squig, and as a result you will have more ranged CC on Destro side to counter what Order already have. SW is a good class and multiple Ambush m2s covering Warbands and groups are a nasty CC. SH has it with Squig Goo too but currently, there is no incentive to play it until they get tweaked a bit.

Someone in this thread mentioned that Shamans are nigh unkillable due to the fact that they have Run Away tactic, coupled with a Detaunt tactic that stacks with Detaunt abilities. Something can be sayd for that to be fair...
Last edited by metroid24 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

M0rw47h

Post#78 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 am

Gurf wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am stuff
Your main issue imho is that you're completly faction biased, you probably never played on the other side and you have no idea what is "overrated" and whats not.
Sometimes its good to listen to people who got multiple rr80+ on both sides and have experience, were playing against the best guilds/alliances and base their opinions rather on that than random pugs or pug like guilds/alliances. Play against NGE, then tell me how easy it's to shutdown full sync slayer stack hidding behind M1 parrying your shatters and CC, detaunting in sync whenever needed and properly supported by their tanks and healers.

Rampage clearly isn't overrated, it's as silly as Mara passive morale drain was after increasing aoe cap to 24.
When passive -25% crit was introduced for Chosen, everyone screamed how it does counter sooo much renown/gear for order dps, but rampage in reality counters all avoidance renown, gear, tactics and abilities in case of destro tanks.
Last edited by M0rw47h on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Skarx

Post#79 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:41 am

emiliorv wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:51 pm
Skarx wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:50 pm The real issue atm is the lack of premade team on destro outisde of prime time, pugs get farmed hard and people complain
Hard to pull premades or WB leaders to destro side atm, why you would do that ?? i cant tell about tanks, but in MDPS/RDPS/HEALER order get the best classes...ppl can argue about synergies and other BS,. but if we are talking about raw numbers that 3 roles are filled by better classes in order.

Maybe (maybe) looking the whole realm is different, but if you want to make a maxed team (grp/wb/whatever) you can do better in order simply stacking those classes
We like playing destros, but on EU prime time, destro has always more people than order. And if by some miracle order are more than destros ? They break once and all log off, so we are doomed to play order.

My borc who can bellow in 20-30sec is just so good, and we never felt like we were missing any DPS or Healing power compared to order. Destro have more morale, use it.

again, pugs can't coordinate morale drop. "yeah but morale got nerfed" it's not because it got nerfed that it's now useless.

Gurf

Post#80 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 am

M0rw47h wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 am
Gurf wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am stuff
Your main issue imho is that you're completly faction biased, you probably never played on the other side and you have no idea what is "overrated" and whats not.
Sometimes its good to listen to people who got multiple rr80+ on both sides and have experience, were playing against the best guilds/alliances and base their opinions rather on that than random pugs or pug like guilds/alliances. Play against NGE, then tell me how easy it's to shutdown full sync slayer stack hidding behind M1 parrying your shatters and CC, detaunting in sync whenever needed and properly supported by their tanks and healers.

Rampage clearly isn't overrated, it's as silly as Mara passive morale drain was after increasing aoe cap to 24.
While it's ability with "easy" counterplay in smallscale, you just can't shatter army of slayers, not gonna happen.
So what do the people who play both sides genuinely say about it? The OP in this thread is obviously completely Destro bias, not for a second do I believe he has rr80's on both sides, so his opinion is obviously as flawed as what you say mine is.

TUP play both sides, what is their opinion on it?

I have an opinion because I have a Slayer and when I see people type things like "people press Rampage and everyone dies" obviously have no idea how it works, they seem to have no idea of what the exhaust mechanic even is, or how it usually takes 2 exhausts to get 20 seconds of Rampage or how squishy an enraged Slayer is if they risk using Power Through tactic. The combo is a mass of Slayer all one one spot, ideally all with immunity at the same time all timing their Retribution at the same time. NGE can pull it off because they have obviously played together for a long time and are high rr, you could probably stop their main damage bomb simply by assigning a tank to every Slayer and get them to Taunt them when they channel Retribution.