Recent Topics

Ads

SoR Population Values

Let's talk about... everything else
RathBrand

SoR Population Values

Post#1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:06 am

Let me preface this by saying I preferred SoR's previous behavior which displayed the actual RvR zone population, but I can understand why some disliked it or wanted more limited information.

The latest version of SoR shows text values for populations such as "Scouts", "Parties, "Warbands" etc. to represents population thresholds or ranges. While the new version is certainly an improvement over showing nothing at all (as in the previous test), I think it might be better to display actual numeric ranges rather than text labels, similar to how Planetside 2 handles population values on their maps. For example, Planetside 2's population ranges are:
  • 1 - 12
  • 12 - 24
  • 24 - 48
  • 48 - 96
  • 96+
Ranges such as these are still somewhat vague while still providing a decent ballpark for strategy and planning (or just looking for fights). It is similar to how an actual scout would call out ballpark numbers without actual counts. I feel like ranges such as this would be easier to scan at a glance than the text labels, save space on the SoR UI, and would also be easier for those not intimately familiar with the differences between values such as "Vanguard" and "Battlehost".

I'm curious what others think. I don't mean to complain about the new version of SoR on its first day, but it feels to me like there could still be a better middle ground. Any thoughts or concerns from the rest of the community on showing population ranges in SoR (assuming the Devs decide not to return to exact numbers, which I still much prefer)?

Ads
yoluigi

Re: SoR Population Values

Post#2 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:32 am

i really like how it is now with what you can see if they are only scout or wb etc

Dabbart

Post#3 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:32 am

combination of the population figures(the names) and AAO can give a pretty good indication of what's there. It's just new so it seems strange. We'll adjust to the lingo in short order.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Kaelang

Post#4 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 am

People will more than likely figure out the population brackets over time.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

arturziomas

Post#5 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:17 am

I'm a big fan of this change, I'd rather have fun names for pop rather than numbers, feels more RPG-like.
Tugtug 8x BO
Tuglug 8x Shammy
Tugfug 7x SH
Tugpug 4x Choppa
Tughug 6x DoK

Phantasm

Post#6 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:56 am

Missed opprotunity to add xxx-zerg into value terms. Like, parties, warband, zerg, uberzerg, zerg of zergs etc. Would fit more to RoR :)

Fenris78

Post#7 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Nice change indeed, thanks !

Now we can figure out abit how things are going, without having realtime numbers ; just what we needed !

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Phantasm wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:56 am Missed opprotunity to add xxx-zerg into value terms. Like, parties, warband, zerg, uberzerg, zerg of zergs etc. Would fit more to RoR :)
Vanguard, Battlehost, and Warhost are pulled from Warhammer Fantasy. Felt more comfortable using that route as they already existed as descriptors for the size of armies. Naturally we adjusted the values on them to better fit the expected populations.

Some of the conspiracy oriented evaluations of this change seem to believe we're concerned with overall population numbers. That's never really been something that we worry about, it's more something that other people worry about for no real reason. We're confident the server will continue running well into the future for several reasons. We have lots of content to release, and we've only scratched the surface on things most people wouldn't imagine we're able to do. This change was more oriented around player behavior. Attitudes drastically shifting in RvR because they saw the numbers in RvR change by +/- 20 players would trigger a collapse in zone populations. In turn generating strife and concern about the ability to defend territory or making vague correlations to population shifts and x-realming accusations, despite never having evidence at any significant scale. Sometimes a little less data can go a long way to inspiring people to keep fighting, because that's what we're all really here to do right? Winning just means the fight is over.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
TreefAM

Post#9 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Phantasm wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:56 am Missed opprotunity to add xxx-zerg into value terms. Like, parties, warband, zerg, uberzerg, zerg of zergs etc. Would fit more to RoR :)
More than 90 would be a blob :D

Glorian

Post#10 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:06 pm

Nah, MEGAZERG! :D