Recent Topics

Ads

ROR should be a little more solo friendlier

Let's talk about... everything else
ByzantineTime
Suspended

Re: ROR should be a little more solo friendlier

Post#11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 am

TreefAM wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 am You're not even 40, you can't do anything as a low lvl, and are even worse as a fresh 40.
Just play, gear up and then try it out.
I can agree with that, but are you aware how frustrating it is to play a Marauder? you play for 20 mins and you see you can't do anything and you just want to RQ.
I mean that's probably not just Mara but all melee classes, why not just balance game around solo plays too? in order to win city, flip zones, you will still have to group up and rvr nevertheless. I think so at least.

Ads
ByzantineTime
Suspended

Post#12 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:38 am

Dabbart wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:33 am Ahem, or we could return CW and RD, let us use item-clickables from backpack again, and separate HoT from instant potion CDs. But I think I'm in the minority there.

On Topic: Tune what down? Damage? Survivability? I don't understand the complaint, nor is there a way to really boost solo play w/o risking breaking the rest of the game.

Maybe, don't join a "premade" as you call it, as that doesn't seem to be your thing. So find like minded players. See another solo player out fighting? Toss them an invite. Even if only for that fight it can make a big difference, and you might make a buddy. Just having 2-3 in a grp makes the worlds difference when roaming.
I don't mind playing with a premade first of all, just with the population is very hard and seems like really a lot of work just do be able to do something, get 5 more players, have guards on, have heals, main assist on a target.. you get where I'm going, on top all of that you will also have to take the role to teach new players how to play.. it's really a lot of work just to play the game..

Besides, people don't tend to roam with lowbies so the second option isn't that viable either.. I am saying that just playing the game try to level up seems extremely hard and I think it should be fixed at least.

Dabbart

Post#13 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:46 am

Spoiler:
ByzantineTime wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:38 am
Dabbart wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:33 am Ahem, or we could return CW and RD, let us use item-clickables from backpack again, and separate HoT from instant potion CDs. But I think I'm in the minority there.

On Topic: Tune what down? Damage? Survivability? I don't understand the complaint, nor is there a way to really boost solo play w/o risking breaking the rest of the game.

Maybe, don't join a "premade" as you call it, as that doesn't seem to be your thing. So find like minded players. See another solo player out fighting? Toss them an invite. Even if only for that fight it can make a big difference, and you might make a buddy. Just having 2-3 in a grp makes the worlds difference when roaming.
I don't mind playing with a premade first of all, just with the population is very hard and seems like really a lot of work just do be able to do something, get 5 more players, have guards on, have heals, main assist on a target.. you get where I'm going.

Besides, people don't tend to roam with lowbies so the second option isn't that viable either.. I am saying that just playing the game try to level up seems extremely hard and I think it should be fixed at least.
Sorry, I don't. I'll run solo or pug on anything. I enjoy small-scale game-play a LOT. I also enjoy super sweaty try-hard WB action, and everything in between. Regardless what lvl I am playing, I still play the game. I use assist. Even solo play or in an SC, I'll set my assist to someone. It's 1 click of a button for Swift Assist to change your assist target. I use Guard(if on tank) and I swap Guard to whomever needs it. If on healer I will heal/rezz those out of party that need it. Cause that's playing the game.

If you don't want to deal with 5 other players that's fine. Run as a duo or a trio. Just a DPS and a healer or a tank. If you flat out just want to do your own thing, by yourself, totally on your own... Go for it, but the game will never be balanced from a solo perspective... How could you think it would be?
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Toshutkidup

Post#14 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:51 am

Solo play is viewed by the Devs openly as a way you shouldn’t be playing and a variation of the game.

So if you solo as I do just accept that balance will never happen or be supported for solo players. Some classes aka AM/Sham will outperform 95% of classes and classes that have a heal via abilities like DoK or WP fall next in line. Pure dps classes fall way down the list. Mara can do decent if you go the monstro route to at least live longer compared to say Choppa/Slayer. So I say if you choose to solo accept ur fate otherwise the answer will be join a grp.
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#15 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am

WAR is not a solo game by design. This is intentional, and part of the challenge of playing the game also involves finding builds that work for you to play in that realm.
You don't have to follow the mold as it's given. But that's part of an RPG - you make decisions on your own to build your character. And another reason as to why WAR is so great: it keeps the D&D style progression system alive that many modern MMOs forget about.

If you're roaming solo as a Marauder, you're actually one of the more tankier melee classes in the game. Their chance to ignore having their armor penetrated is class-defining.
Soloing may prove challenging because you don't have gear or the experience of knowing your optimal rotation to actually get kills. Mara does insane damage.

As a White Lion, I find myself at wits end often due to the lack of self healing. I've often referred to potions being on cooldown as 'having your pants down'.
I often end up with high kill counts in RvR zones, not because I have a self heal, but because I target other solo players or engage in fights without healers. Picking your fights is something you'll have to get used to doing. Every situation is unique and there's no mechanical changes me or any other dev here could make to White Lion that keep their damage exactly how it is now, but also have self healing. Even DPS AMs, which have the ability to self heal, are not 'dedicated healers' for anyone. Not even themselves. DoKs/WPs, if they are melee specced, can be kited by just about any ranged DPS class with very little recourse to heal themselves beyond weak DoTs that are reduced due to their tactic choices.

With that being said, here's an example of a situation I often run into.

Let's say I am fighting an equal or better geared DoK that is in non-melee (heal) spec, and I am being detaunted off cooldown by them in a 1v1, and this detaunt happens as I am engaging them.

There is really zero chance I will kill the DoK. Not because this game is unfair to a solo character, but because my class lacks the utility to take them down in every situation.
Add another DPS of any type, and the fight suddenly becomes winnable due to burst alone, and is almost always in my favor, provided the DPS avoids standing near me for the AOE detaunt. Tracking the cooldown of your opponent is a strategy to win here.

I often recommend new players that ask me what to play, to NOT play melee or ranged dps classes. Why? Because they don't teach you anything about the game, and there's far too many ranged DPS classes in the game who are not used to the concept of guarding someone, or staying in the line of sight of a healer. These are things you pick up on by actually BEING in those roles.

I recommend Knight/Chosen for most folks starting: They are incredibly powerful in solo, group, and warband contexts. They're always in demand in those contexts as well.

The class also teaches you something very important by improving your play: Why you should guard, and how to swap, and how to stay with your guarded target (or tank, if you're a DPS)

Having the ability to stay alive long will also give you the ability to practice general game flow; there's melee players that are leagues above someone just coming into this game, and if you fight them, you aren't guaranteed to win. And you're also more likely to escape from a proper 6man group hunting you down as a tank compared to a lone melee dps.

In the end, there's nothing to change here for melee and other classes without self healing. The classes are designed to be dependent on others.
You have pretty much one or two options for smallscale as a melee:
1) Find a tank or healer (preferrably both) in /5 - they don't have to be cream of the crop, just someone who can play at a moderate level, and then play with them.
2) Push your limits by yourself and get better at knowing what fights to pick, and what ones to avoid, and what your opponent uses to attack you. Stock up on potions, and don't be afraid to experiment - you are the only person who can decide whether it's effective or not.

anarchypark

Post#16 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:11 am

even easy PQ are aimed for 2~3 ppl.
pve quest are for solo.

you're playing mmorpg.
going solo is option. It's handicap play.
accept your own choice and consequences.

beside dps healers there are solo healing classes. Mara is one of them.
It's balance area.

pug is mildly a soloing.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Shanell

Post#17 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:20 am

TreefAM wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 am You're not even 40, you can't do anything as a low lvl
This can not be more wrong. Level 25 is bolstered to level 48 and he's actually pretty damn strong. I know it myself brcasue I managed to level my WE by ganking people to 52rr while being core level 30.
BG Kecis | Magus Zechariah | Chosen Kastul

xpander
Community Management

Post#18 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:47 am

yeah at rank 25 to 30 you are a beast, cause of the rank48 bolster (and also have some gear and abilities), you get pretty nice stat boost. after that it will vanish though..

Anyway what Secrets said sums up everything pretty nicely.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
Bozzax

Post#19 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:05 am

As a level 25 mara right now I feel completely useless without guard+heal anywhere, while upgrading my gear
Need 40/80, potions, end gear simple as that

25-30 twinking is doable but qiite hard
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7

Panodil

Post#20 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:46 am

As healer main i think it should be more group oriented. There is people who like support role. Selfheals and stuff like that will hurt us as support. DPS is just 1/3 of the playerbase(groupwise) 2/3 are tanks and healers so strange to **** over 2/3 of players to make dps better.
Panodil WP
Panodill DoK
Panodilz Zealot
Panodilr Runepriest
Run Shaman
Panage Archmage