Recent Topics

Ads

Shadowbane Rerelease

Let's talk about... everything else
zulnam

Shadowbane Rerelease

Post#1 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:58 am

Shadowbane's now officially out again. Currently selling on steam for about £6 (no sub, in-game shop). Was brought back to life by some chinese publisher.

Anyone else giving it a try? I hear the PvP is very well designed, similar to Eve online (open zones, cities run by players, alliances sieges etc). But that interface... damn. Makes RoR look like a game from 2019. :lol:

Still, i never played it originally and want to try out the pvp so i'll hold on to it's weird UI and click based movement for a little longer.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Ads
Whyumadbro

Re: Shadowbane Rerelease

Post#2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:08 pm

and they have a shop where you can buy gold :D

Strakar

Post#3 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:19 am

Give it a try. I played beta and then an ad supported reboot before it died. Very hard-core, except for newb Island and a couple minor cities it's all open pvp where you can lose everything. No pve to speak of except farming for gold to power your cities. Eve Online comparison is fair, I'd say Eve risk of loss scared me even more. Another game I miss but don't want to pay for. 😀

Shadowbane had the best race variety of any mmo. Can't think of another game you could play a centaur, minotaur, vampire, or birdman. Class system is also customizable with variety, but unless they rebalance skills there were a lot of useless ones.

Bowldancer

Post#4 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:43 am

I am so sceptical because of the cash-shop which trivializes what is supposed to be a hardcore game.
Otherwise I would jump in immediately and give it a shot.
Grimmsch Grimnirsson (2H Giantslayer, 40/85)
Spoiler:
40+: 2H-CHOPPA, AM, RP, WP, SM, IB, KotBS, WL, WH, BW, ENG, SW
Alts in T4: SHA, SH, BO, BG, CHO, MAR, WE

PlagueMonk

Post#5 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:46 pm

I played SB for roughly 9 months from release and while there was some good (like character classes / races and city building) there was a LOT of bad. A fair amount of that however was not game related like server hacks, terrible servers, etc.

I do remember that the game came out in 2003 so the graphics are VERY primitive and from looking at the Steam version have not been updated. They are on the level of the original DAoC / EQ and look extremely dated. Also there was very little to do.....you go out kill mobs, kill each other and create a city. Very few quests and once you reached close to cap level there was nothing PvE wise to help level on so you had to kill lower level mobs for minimal exp.

Also, unless they actually added things, much of the land was completely unpopulated, even with flora / fauna (this may have changed though, idk)

City building was fun but having someone come along at 2 in the morning while you were all asleep and pretty much raze the city you have all been pouring your gold and effort into for 2 months, literally to the ground leaving you with nothing, was not so fun. So yes, a bit too HC for my taste when others can completely wipe you and your guild's forward progress.

and a gold shop is a huge red flag imho.

fabrizio3k

Post#6 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:59 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:46 pm
City building was fun but having someone come along at 2 in the morning while you were all asleep and pretty much raze the city you have all been pouring your gold and effort into for 2 months, literally to the ground leaving you with nothing, was not so fun.
Yes that was the point of no return for me. Does anyone know if they did something to avoid that in the new release?