Recent Topics

Ads

Renown(purple bar)

Let's talk about... everything else
arorwne
Suspended

Renown(purple bar)

Post#1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pm

I wanted to discuss this mechanic. I don't want to change anything, it is what it is, but let's go theoretical and systematic and ask ourselves: "What does this subsystem bring to larger systems or a game as a whole?". Don't forget, it makes players play unnaturally, make them do what they don't really want to(such as going to PvP too early etc) and such.

What are the benefits of this system, I can only see downsides. Please help me understand it.

Thank you!

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Renown(purple bar)

Post#2 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:49 pm

This game is designed to do PvP from level 1. There is no "doing PvP too early". If that's the mindset you have, it's a bad fit for this game. There are other more suitable games if you want a primarily PvE experience with a sprinkle of PvP later when you get brave enough.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

arorwne
Suspended

Post#3 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:49 pm This game is designed to do PvP from level 1. There is no "doing PvP too early". If that's the mindset you have, it's a bad fit for this game. There are other more suitable games if you want a primarily PvE experience with a sprinkle of PvP later when you get brave enough.
Ok, suggest me one RPG where I can go to Ulthuan and see the White Tower etc. Where I can immerse into Warhammer as seamlessly as I can here. Besides, you put a great amount of work into PvE and are doing a great job.

I know how it is designed. But would you lose anything by losing the Renown xp(now you would, given the Ren.Tal.Tree, but before that)? Would it prohibit you from PvP-ing, if so why? It's not zero sum, after all.

Fenris78

Post#4 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 pm

I dont get what you're asking here ?

You want to PvE in this game, there is plenty of content available to immerse yourself into the Warhammer lore, with many well-writtent quests, but obviously limited by gameplay mechanics (old-school PvE questing).

Renown is only a BONUS for making the effort playing PvP content, and its by no mean mandatory to enjoy the PvE experience, saving rare occurences (dungeons for instance) where SOME renown is advised to have (reduced chances to be crit mostly).

You dont LOSE anything without the renown (PvP) part, but you may have hard times starting 40/1 in PvP, that's about all.
Anyway getting to half of maximum renown (rr40) is a matter of some days doing casual PvP, so not a big deal...

arorwne
Suspended

Post#5 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Fenris78 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 pm I dont get what you're asking here ?

You want to PvE in this game, there is plenty of content available to immerse yourself into the Warhammer lore, with many well-writtent quests, but obviously limited by gameplay mechanics (old-school PvE questing).

Renown is only a BONUS for making the effort playing PvP content, and its by no mean mandatory to enjoy the PvE experience, saving rare occurences (dungeons for instance) where SOME renown is advised to have (reduced chances to be crit mostly).

You dont LOSE anything without the renown (PvP) part, but you may have hard times starting 40/1 in PvP, that's about all.
Anyway getting to half of maximum renown (rr40) is a matter of some days doing casual PvP, so not a big deal...
I actually lose quite a lot. Simple 8 points of Rnwn nets you like 40 pts of a stat or a regen(important for Tanks) or such. That is a difference. And a thing that bothers me. Now, if there were PvP-only stats, I wouldn't complain, but it's somewhat wrong to have a PvP only xp that somehow influences EVERYTHING. That's my beef with it. Kinda crude designing, but that's on Mythic. And it is mostly psychological.

I always wanted to play it as mostly PvE with a PvP endgame. That's not really feasible, is it? I'm open for all the advice.

Wrikur

Post#6 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:44 pm

This is primarily a PvP game that has PvE as an option. You'll find that the vast majority of the player base here only does PvE as a means to PvP better. Some of the dungeon encounters are enjoyable, and the dev team has put a good amount of work into them, but you're entering the game with a skewed idea of what the game is intended to be, which is primarily PvP. Honestly I wish more games took the approach of making it viable to level exclusively through PvP, I find it a lot more enjoyable and it forces you to learn your class more than just PvE grinding.

it makes players play unnaturally
It makes YOU feel like YOU are playing unnaturally. Most people here (myself included) enjoy the option to do PvP content from level 1.

What are the benefits of this system, I can only see downsides
The benefits are that players get some semblance of PvP experience before they enter the final ranks and have to compete with rr80+ full sov mains, getting destroyed so quickly they don't even understand what happened. I truly don't see any possible downsides from having the OPTION to participate in PvP from level 1.

I actually lose quite a lot. Simple 8 points of Rnwn nets you like 40 pts of a stat or a regen(important for Tanks) or such. That is a difference. And a thing that bothers me.
I don't really buy the "If I choose not to get something, then I'm losing out on it," argument. By your own admission you're choosing to ignore the PvP aspect of things until you're "ready," which no amount of PvE will do for you. If the lack of RR ranks bothers you that much then go PvP. You can go to oRvR and get boosted and join a warband so you can compete or do scenarios and get put with a group of similarly leveled players. There are so many things working for you in the way RoR's system is set up.

I always wanted to play it as mostly PvE with a PvP endgame. That's not really feasible, is it?
Short answer, no. Slightly longer answer is yes but it will be a frustrating experience for yourself and those you group with.

CountTalabecland

Post#7 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:48 pm

Wargrim is right about not having a "PvP too early" Mindset in this game.

If you aren't going to group up for pvp immediately to get your renown rank going, the game is going to get really hard for you if you hit endgame as 40/40. Or even worse, if you PvE too much you're going to get gear locked as like a 40/30 or something terrible.

The yellow and purple bar restricting you from various things at various times in the game is pretty ingrained so I imagine just removing one would harm a lot of things code wise, but hey, I am a Slayer not a tech nerd.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

space44

Post#8 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:01 pm

theres plenty of PvE in this game but the rate of PvE quests being fixed, PQs getting fixed, Dungeons getting fixed, Dungeons getting reimplemented, PvE being rebalanced, PvE having harder difficulty, etc is slower wayyy slower than rate of a scenario objective being removed for a newer one and RvR getting brand new additions.
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

Ads
arorwne
Suspended

Post#9 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:23 pm

Wrikur wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:44 pm This is primarily a PvP game that has PvE as an option. You'll find that the vast majority of the player base here only does PvE as a means to PvP better. Some of the dungeon encounters are enjoyable, and the dev team has put a good amount of work into them, but you're entering the game with a skewed idea of what the game is intended to be, which is primarily PvP. Honestly I wish more games took the approach of making it viable to level exclusively through PvP, I find it a lot more enjoyable and it forces you to learn your class more than just PvE grinding.

it makes players play unnaturally
It makes YOU feel like YOU are playing unnaturally. Most people here (myself included) enjoy the option to do PvP content from level 1.

What are the benefits of this system, I can only see downsides
The benefits are that players get some semblance of PvP experience before they enter the final ranks and have to compete with rr80+ full sov mains, getting destroyed so quickly they don't even understand what happened. I truly don't see any possible downsides from having the OPTION to participate in PvP from level 1.

I actually lose quite a lot. Simple 8 points of Rnwn nets you like 40 pts of a stat or a regen(important for Tanks) or such. That is a difference. And a thing that bothers me.
I don't really buy the "If I choose not to get something, then I'm losing out on it," argument. By your own admission you're choosing to ignore the PvP aspect of things until you're "ready," which no amount of PvE will do for you. If the lack of RR ranks bothers you that much then go PvP. You can go to oRvR and get boosted and join a warband so you can compete or do scenarios and get put with a group of similarly leveled players. There are so many things working for you in the way RoR's system is set up.

I always wanted to play it as mostly PvE with a PvP endgame. That's not really feasible, is it?
Short answer, no. Slightly longer answer is yes but it will be a frustrating experience for yourself and those you group with.
You yourself have shown the signs of that unnatural behavior. I am not talking about doing it from Rank 1, you could do it perfectly too if Renown didn't exist, what's stopping you? I was talking that even when joining T1 activities, you ALWAYS have Sov and state of 40RR+(aka T4) in mind. I don't see this piece of design often in games and I believe it for the better. Because if I, or anyone else, have to modify my playstyle or thoughts here and now because of some "may happen" in mid future...and what I described when talking about myself is some form of FOMO, but self induced, so it's ok. I just don't agree with "universal stats", but meh.
space44 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:01 pm theres plenty of PvE in this game but the rate of PvE quests being fixed, PQs getting fixed, Dungeons getting fixed, Dungeons getting reimplemented, PvE being rebalanced, PvE having harder difficulty, ect is slower wayyy slower than rate of a scenario objective being removed for a newer one and RvR getting brand new additions.
Honestly, would you like a period of stability where PvE etc things are fixed?

Wuhh

Post#10 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:12 pm

e2a been here before, deleted my post. might not be suitable. GL in the game buddy!