Recent Topics

Ads

Sentry's Witchstaff of Tyranny and Sentry's Witchstaff of Anathema

Let's talk about... everything else
Caduceus

Sentry's Witchstaff of Tyranny and Sentry's Witchstaff of Anathema

Post#1 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the forum to hear their opinions on how these staffs are balanced:

Sentry's Witchstaff of Tyranny: 800 Dominator Emblems

+53 Wounds
+41 Intelligence
+36 Hit Points Every 4 Seconds
+4% Reduced Armor Penetration
+4% Reducedion in being Critically Hit

Sentry's Witchstaff of Anathema: 1200 Oppressor Emblems AND Sentry's Witchstaff of Tyranny

+60 Wounds
+37 Initiative
+45 Intelligence
+4% Reduced Armor Penetration
+4% Reduction in being Critically Hit

So in total, the upgrade from Tyranny to Anathema would provide
+7 Wounds
+4 Intelligence
+37 Initiative
-36 Hit Points Every 4 Seconds

This is barely an upgrade, if an upgrade at all. Especially considering +Hit Points Every 4 Seconds is actually a valuable stat for Sorcs who spec defensively.

So what gives? Am I horribly wrong in my assessment here, or does this seem like a very light reward for the amount of SC farming those 1200 Oppressor emblems require?

For the record, I know the offensive stick is more popular, but this thread is specifically about the defensive variant.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Kaelang

Re: Sentry's Witchstaff of Tyranny and Sentry's Witchstaff of Anathema

Post#2 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm not going to chime in on the stat distribution and why it is or isn't worth it.

But I would like to mention this:

"a very light reward for the amount of SC farming those 1200 Oppressor emblems require?"

The simple answer here is that the gear set is for scenarios and it's a reward for continuing to play scenarios. I wouldn't look at the scenario gear as a 'gear grind'. Instead it's a small upgrade for playing the content. Think of it as a side reward - not a progression piece to 'work' towards.

Enjoy playing scenarios? Cool, you have your base set, there's some other items out there if you wanna grab them whilst you're playing.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

NSKaneda

Post#3 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:53 pm

That +37 initiative alone makes Anathema a worthy upgrade, especially for defensive, close quarter builds.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Caduceus

Post#4 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm

NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:53 pm That +37 initiative alone makes Anathema a worthy upgrade, especially for defensive, close quarter builds.

What makes in your eyes initiative such a crucial stat for close quarter builds?

Also, what kind of close quarter builds do you reckon would consider equipping this staff?
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

NSKaneda

Post#5 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Caduceus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm
NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:53 pm That +37 initiative alone makes Anathema a worthy upgrade, especially for defensive, close quarter builds.

What makes in your eyes initiative such a crucial stat for close quarter builds?

+ dodge&disrupt
- chance to be critted
helps with stealth detection
Good way to boost defensive stats after spending points on futile strikes
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+

Caduceus

Post#6 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:11 pm

NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:03 pm

+ dodge&disrupt
- chance to be critted

As far as I am aware, initiative does not increase chance to disrupt; only dodge.

At any rate, this does not explain why initiative would be crucial for close quarter builds.

What kind of sorc close quarter builds do you reckon would consider equipping this staff?

NSKaneda

Post#7 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 pm

Caduceus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Spoiler:
NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:03 pm

+ dodge&disrupt
- chance to be critted

As far as I am aware, initiative does not increase chance to disrupt; only dodge.

At any rate, this does not explain why initiative would be crucial for close quarter builds.

What kind of sorc close quarter builds do you reckon would consider equipping this staff?

The kind of sorc that is front line close quarters centerpiece of melee ball, usually guarded by chosen, with mara or shammie debuffing called targets, ideally with zealot ini/willpower mark to further boost d&d.

Caduceus

Post#8 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:20 pm

NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 pm

The kind of sorc that is front line close quarters centerpiece of melee ball, usually guarded by chosen, with mara or shammie debuffing called targets, ideally with zealot ini/willpower mark to further boost d&d.

What scale are you talking about?

Ads
NSKaneda

Post#9 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Caduceus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:20 pm
NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 pm

What scale are you talking about?

Warband. But it works with party too - since you build a party around the centerpiece sorc - chosen, BO or BG, mara (aoe debuffs) or choppa (party buffs+gtdc), zeal + shammie.

Caduceus

Post#10 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:34 pm

NSKaneda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Warband. But it works with party too (since you build a party around the centerpiece sorc - chosen, BO or BG, mara + choppa, zeal + shammie)

I've never seen a single Sorc use close quarters in organized warbands.

Sorc AoE Build is a more likely example of a Sorc RvR build. ("bomb" spec)

Furthermore, stealth detection is virtually useless in such a setting.

The +dodge is negligible, as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25674

That leaves the -crit, which is much more efficiently plugged with Futile Strikes, though some initiative is useful to defend against initiative debuffs. 300-350 is generally regarded as the sweet spot, and most sorcs in high gear have no issue reaching those numbers when they are buffed in a warband. Even if they did, there are much, much better options for RvR staffs that also give +ini, like the Bloodlord and Fortress staffs.

I don't think any RvR sorc would even consider using the Sentry's Warstaff of Anathema.