Recent Topics

Ads

Blast potions pros & cons debate

Let's talk about... everything else
Skullgrin

Re: Blast potions pros & cons debate

Post#21 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Frankly if blast potions cause that much lag then the devs should also look at removing all other AoE abilities, because they should also be causing lag too. But that's not happening. It isn't the ability itself that is causing the lag - it's the fire animation that seems to be causing it. Fix that and the lag goes away.

Personally I'm annoyed at their removal, I used them much more often in 1vX situations by dropping them on an opponent right next to me and then standing in the fire so that anyone in melee range took damage for attempting to attack me. Just another nerf on solo play as far as I'm concerned...
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Ads
Kragg

Post#22 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:17 am

Skullgrin wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm Frankly if blast potions cause that much lag then the devs should also look at removing all other AoE abilities, because they should also be causing lag too. But that's not happening. It isn't the ability itself that is causing the lag - it's the fire animation that seems to be causing it. Fix that and the lag goes away.

Personally I'm annoyed at their removal, I used them much more often in 1vX situations by dropping them on an opponent right next to me and then standing in the fire so that anyone in melee range took damage for attempting to attack me. Just another nerf on solo play as far as I'm concerned...
I think your grabbing for straws here :lol:
Sergeant-Major Drengk Burloksson, RR 85 Sniper
Hulfdan Irongrip, RR 81 Ironbreaker
Proud Founder of the 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
Alliance officer of the Grand Alliance

Bloodmasked

Post#23 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:30 am

Skullgrin wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm Frankly if blast potions cause that much lag then the devs should also look at removing all other AoE abilities, because they should also be causing lag too. But that's not happening. It isn't the ability itself that is causing the lag - it's the fire animation that seems to be causing it. Fix that and the lag goes away.

there are some AOE abilities that cause similar lag. its very hard to narrow it down but i believe it was some slayer abilities in particular just from my experience. the way to fix the AOE lag from those and blast potions was by removing alot of my addons including removing buffhead.

Korsario

Post#24 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:33 am

They cause alot of lag its quite funny seeing certain guilds use them and how you get hit by a wave of lag as they engage.

dwyur

Post#25 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:04 pm

saupreusse wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 am Cant say ive ever experienced the mega lag that they cause, but imo game performance is the highest priority and every design choice must be secondary.
Performance over everything.
100%, especially when the game currently suffers performance wise, and badly in certain situations.
Dirkfunk - 82 Runepriest
Dwyur - 81 Sorc | Deloused - 70 DoK | Durtknap- 64 Choppa

ExcretusMaximus

Post#26 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:50 pm

I don't like them because they make flag captures in scenarios where you have to actually interact with the objective impossible. Chuck a long duration blasting potion on the flag and laugh as no one from the other team can do anything about it until the duration is up, then have someone else repeat the process. There is no counter.
<Countered By Skill> & <RUN AWAY>
...........(active)...................(inactive)

CyunUnderis

Post#27 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:52 pm

ExcretusMaximus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:50 pm I don't like them because they make flag captures in scenarios where you have to actually interact with the objective impossible. Chuck a long duration blasting potion on the flag and laugh as no one from the other team can do anything about it until the duration is up, then have someone else repeat the process. There is no counter.
I think absorption (pots, skills) and high blocking stats can counter blasting pots during flag capture.

ExcretusMaximus

Post#28 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:12 pm

CyunUnderis wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:52 pm I think absorption (pots, skills) and high blocking stats can counter blasting pots during flag capture.

If that's true, I withdraw my previous statement.
<Countered By Skill> & <RUN AWAY>
...........(active)...................(inactive)

Ads
Lornetorne

Post#29 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:05 pm

Caduceus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am Does anyone have (non-anecdotal) proof of blast pots causing lag recently, or of warbands trying to weaponize this lag? Of both I am highly skeptical.
Im with you on this. I don't personally believe there is any proof behind them causing lag. I think some people are twisting the facts for their own benefit.

I do wish they would at least maybe make them single target. Like a consumable single target Dot. I find they are incredibly useful in certain situations. They have proved useful many times in my time roaming,

zulnam

Post#30 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:37 pm

It depends very much how item effects were built in the game. Remember a usable item, at a design level, is like a tradeable and craftable skill. So it's implemented in the code differently than how a regular skill would work, since you don't just get it instantly and infinetly through certain level/mastery combo. You have to have it in your inventory. Add to that that almost all consumables in the game are actually self buffs, having a consumable be an active aoe ability could be damaging. It all depends how the code was written. Remember, aoe pot lag was framerate drop lag; not latency. That means at some point, somewhere in the codebase, there was a bottleneck.

And the fact that it was built on a 10 year old engine didn't help.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG