Ads

Blast potions pros & cons debate

Let's talk about... everything else
wonshot

Blast potions pros & cons debate

Post#1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:17 am

Hello,

As from last patch this was changed:
- Blast pots have been disabled. There has been many reports that these cause frame rate drops on the clients, and the value they bring to gameplay isn't really worth that drawback. So for now they have been disabled.
Since I started playing back in like 2017 Blastpotions have always seemed to be a hot debate topic. between players. And Team members.
So now they are disabled, and a few days have passed.
How about we finally have the debate of if they add more to the game, than they potentially limmit performance?

From the arguements ive heard around the community the pros and cons list goes something like this.

Pros:
- Melee chars get a tool for getting in combat and "tagging" aoe if a class dont have such an option (mostly stealthers)
- Having these adds more flavor and echonomic spread to some of the crafting professions.
- A player having the gold and resouces to use them can get a slight edge over other players (mmo mindset of having advantages)

Cons:
- They add too many strings of combat parsing which can make performance go poof in big fights.
- Not everyone is fan of when pvp games become a "consumeable war"

My personal view is that these dont really match what you potentially gain as advantage, compaired to what they can break in terms of performance. So overall i dont think they are worth keeping in the game, despite being a heavy Blast potion user myself for 3years now.
My issue then becomes, if Blast potions are removed but Tacky snare potion are still in the game, will players not just swap over to those potions and we end up with just 20% snare being thrown around. As a backside of removing tacky pots aswel, some kiting classes with no available snare like Sorc, might face a rougher time staying at distance.

What are your thourghts?
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Ads
Caduceus

Re: Blast potions pros & cons debate

Post#2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:55 am

Personally I really liked them, and am sad to see them disabled.

They were a useful tool for any class in certain situations like funnel fights. It was great to invest some gold in this small but noticable difference.

I never experienced any lag from blast pots, and I feel like it's been turned into a scapegoat due to past urban legends about guilds using it to crash people.

All in all I have trouble understanding this change, which seems to just strip away a layer of depth, even if it were a small one.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Bozzax

Post#3 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:37 am

Make them ST with a 5s CD?
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7

czarusxD

Post#4 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:44 am

Glad theyre gone, hope tacky pots are gonna be removed too, some groups have already swapped to them to cause lag, coz doing like 1 dmg per tick to a player does nothing but that in a melee clash.

wonshot wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:17 am My personal view is that these dont really match what you potentially gain as advantage, compaired to what they can break in terms of performance.
I feel like dropping to unplayable amount of fps (5-10) is a reasonable disadvantage of having them in the game, if everybody had pcs able to handle them, then keep them sure, but a lot of the players couldnt see what was happening on the screen and were randomly pressing buttons, because of the lag they caused. I also feel like having less stuff causing lag makes the game more competitive.

About classes not having snare on demand, if its that big of an issue maybe we should change/add skills so they have it in their kit, instead of giving consumables to compesate for that.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 am

Cant say ive ever experienced the mega lag that they cause, but imo game performance is the highest priority and every design choice must be secondary.
Performance over everything.

Brakh

Post#6 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 am

I heard many times from wb leaders commands like: Blasting potions in 3, 2, 1, lag them up!
This is so insignificant damage addition but in large fights it caused increased lag so I am glad that they are disabled.

Caduceus

Post#7 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am

Does anyone have (non-anecdotal) proof of blast pots causing lag recently, or of warbands trying to weaponize this lag? Of both I am highly skeptical.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

zulnam

Post#8 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:17 am

saupreusse wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 am Cant say ive ever experienced the mega lag that they cause, but imo game performance is the highest priority and every design choice must be secondary.
Performance over everything.
Agreed.

If in time the issue gets fixed i would be happy to see them added back.

Until then, non.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Ads
Meliannia

Post#9 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:22 am

disabling them for Forts and City maybe would be a fair compromise

Fenris78

Post#10 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:53 am

It's a good thing to disable them :

- Most players never used them anyway (either because dont care or not enough gold to use regularly)

- "A certain guild" used them extensively wich caused numerous lag and crashes on opposing realm, allowing for keep/fort takes wich wouldnt have succeeded without the infamous "lagpush".

- They ultimately added nothing to fight (non stackable, low damage, tagging is useless since the "kill credit" system changed)

I'm glad the team realized the cons were too much versus the pros and decided to disable them permanently.

We will see with the tacky potions where this is going, but even if I feel there are too much snares in the game (pretty much every escape tool having a snare component, DoK passive aura, aoe snare tactics and skills, etc.) the duration and effect of tacky potions dont look SO bad in comparison.

I'm still in favour of completely disabling every AoE damaging potion, though. There is already too much AoE in the game to saturate combat logs, without having to add another layer to it...

Performance is key, and every option we can disable to reduce lag and/or stutter is very welcome ; not everyone got the leisure of running under Linux to make one game lag-free...